What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic weekend Aus

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's a really bad survey, it makes heaps of assumptions about the people taking the survey and forces the people taking the survey to answer questions in a very vague way.

But anyway I think it's a stupid idea, the clubs will lose revenue, many fans will lose a home game to attend, you're not going to see anywhere the same amount of traveling fans as you see in England for a multitude of reasons, I could go on.

I could get behind a Sydney magic weekend of sorts where all of the Sydney clubs (plus one interstate club playing an away game) play at ANZ all on the same day, call it Derby day or something, apart from that though I think it's a bad idea.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Looks like we're getting a Magic Weekend.

The NRL have sent out a survey asking for opinions on a Magic Weekend, whether a state government should pay for it, how many games you'd watch, attend, how much money you would spend.

Interestingly the only 3 options for location were NSW, Qld or Vic. Don't we have a magic weekend in NSW almost every second weekend? Vic I understand, by why not Adelaide, Perth?

https://universalmccann.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3xga6gMJnfeiLgV
We already have a magic weekend of sorts in Auckland. I don't think Adelaide or Perth would cut it.

undertaker

Coach
Magic Weekend would not work in Australia. In the AFL states, scheduling in the major 50k+ capacity venues there (MCG, Etihad, Adelaide Oval, new Burswood Stadium) that would be appropriate for a Magic Weekend are heavily controlled by the AFL and they definitely would not want to give the NRL a free kick in their heartland hosting a round of matches. In addition, AFL matches being scheduled at those venues nearly every round of the season would make it more difficult for the NRL to fit it in.

In addition, double-headers have become somewhat redundant, crowds for the ones held at ANZ Stadium dramatically declined over the past decade. Yes, there is the occasional one at Suncorp, but ANZ Stadium would only work if it was the 5 major Sydney teams with large fan bases (Bulldogs, Eels, Tigers, Souffs, Dragons). Tigers vs Souffs/Bulldogs vs Eels, with the 4 teams going well, could easily get 65-70k.

T-Boon

Coach
The AFL would have the guts to do it and would get it right.
2 years later, the NRL would consider doing it but would then take 3 years to come up with a plan (making sure there is grass roots interest first) but the plan will get thrown out because the clubs need to upgrade their years old centres of gymastics. We would then attempt one about 8 years after the AFL but our policy will be it has to be able to support itself so we won't promote it but for a few bucks in a local newspaper.

jim_57

Staff member
Playing all the games at one stadium would be lunacy, why not just do an on the road round or 2? Look for a spread of games in Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Hobart, Christchurch, Wellington, Asia, Hawaii etc etc.

POPEYE

Coach
Fox are supplying magic weekends every weekend, man caves are going up everywhere, supermarkets are selling big screens for little bucks and the bottle shops are laughing . . . a pity Rex wasn't alive to see it, the days of dragging the family through the stadium ordeal of shitty food and warm beer are over

Perth Red

Post Whore
I could see it working in Brisbane or Sydney where you have lots of fans of lots of different clubs but don't really see much point. Maybe more all Sydney Sundays at anz with two or three games during the day is a better model. Eases in the notion of centralised stadiums that Sydney folk seem so terrified of.