What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magpies

Save or shoot magpies?

• Save

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Shoot

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Wizardman

First Grade
Magpies.....save or shoot them?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...g-season-sets-in/story-fnihsrf2-1227539453499

Magpie ‘danger zones’ outlined as swooping season sets in
September 23, 2015 12:00am
RHIAN DEUTROMThe Courier-Mail

IF THIS has been your view while walking or riding around Brisbane recently — a magpie coming at you — you’re not alone.

Queensland is in the grip of magpie swooping season, with the territorial birds attacking residents from South Brisbane to Browns Plains.

Breeding season runs between July and December but families have reported an alarming rise in territorial behaviour this month.

Brisbane City Council’s Environment, Parks and Sus*tainability chairman Matthew Bourke has urged locals to exercise caution when *approaching magpie nests.

Cr Bourke said: “Magpies are most active through September while chicks are in their nests. To protect their young from potential threats, they are known to swoop from up to 100m from their nest, so it is important that residents practise correct safety precautions when around known magpie hot-spots.”

mapiealert.com reports there have been 3011 attacks across the country so far. Above are some of Brisbane’s “danger zones”.
A magpie-attack website mapped 10 incidents in suburbs such as South Brisbane, Cleveland and Browns Plains yesterday alone, with a serious attack in Acacia Ridge causing injury.

An eight-year-old girl was reportedly attacked by a magpie while cycling with her mother in Hamilton on Sunday, sustaining a “huge bleeding cut to her cheek”.

Another child was scratched on the cheek at a Bray Park playground.

Louise Mallon, from Ascot, said her daughter Emma, 10, was attacked this week.

“Every time we have been out this week, Emma has been attacked … the birds are relentless and just keep swooping,” Ms Mallon said.

Cr Bourke said: “Council has installed warning signage in a number of known magpie nesting areas.

“However, the best way to ensure we coexist with our native wildlife is to raise awareness about magpies’ natural behaviours during breeding season.

“Magpies are more likely to swoop in *response to behaviour such as yelling, waving or objects being thrown at them.”

The city council has received 31 official reports of magpie’s swooping since August.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Got swooped twice while sitting down not making a sound. Fortunately no contact was made either time as it swerved away, but still, natural behaviour awareness my ass. if those f**kers want to swoop you're getting your ass swooped.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
We should put Tom Shines in charge of this. He'll screw their attack up and stop them from becoming a real threat.

main.php

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wouldn't go so far as to say they should be shot, but they should definitely be relocated from urban areas. The things are dangerous.

Africans don't be letting lions and leopards just hang out wherever they want.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't go so far as to say they should be shot, but they should definitely be relocated from urban areas. The things are dangerous.

Africans don't be letting lions and leopards just hang out wherever they want.

dude

did you just compare the annoying magpies to lions and f**king leopards that eat people ??

methinks you been in Africa too long.

Rhyno

First Grade
When I was kid me and my friends used to think it was funny getting swooped at and would ride up and down the street to see which one of us would get attacked

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
same here, they will eat from your hands

they seem pretty intelligent too