What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major expansion U-turn is needed

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Its weird how this forum is 1000% certain that PNG will happen.

Its still a long way from certain.

Unlike the RL tragics on here, the general populace of Australia will overwhelmingly reject this proposal at the ballot box.

Further, China's influence and power is literally waning daily, as they plunge into financial crisis.
I agree with the premise of this thread. I think PNG is a mistake but I'll wait and see more details.

However, if it did proceed, I don't think it'd be a hot button election issue. That money is going to PNG with or without an NRL side. It is PNG that are wanting some of it spent on an NRL team which they hope to tie to social issues. Who are Victorians to tell PNG how to spend their aid money?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
People steal railway cables and copper wiring.

Sewerage leaks into freshwater.

Forced electeical blackouts are common.

South Africa is on track to become the next Zimbabwe.
As RL begins its ascent in NZ and the Pacific, two of Union's strongest outposts, NZ and South Africa are crumbling for different reasons.... nice 😎

Matua

Bench
Some of the speculation on this thread is getting ridiculous. Entertaining though.
Bro, there's a multiple page thread with the same sort of speculation over and over again to keep you entertained. You just have to wade through the thread diversions away from NZ to Perth, politics, and days in the life's of multis. ;)

Interesting the amount of empty seats we are seeing in ‘sold out’ games.
From what I’ve been hearing there’s a decent amount of people buying season tickets and only going to selected games as it’s more cost effective than buying per game. Eg buying a 10 game pass for $300 and going to say 7 of those is cheaper than paying $50 each game
Do they have the cheap tickets this year? One of my mates went to most games last year for around $20 a game. I'd be going to every game I could. Also, not knocking it as a marketing plan, I think it's great way to bring the punters and hype in.

Colk

First Grade
I agree with the premise of this thread. I think PNG is a mistake but I'll wait and see more details.

However, if it did proceed, I don't think it'd be a hot button election issue. That money is going to PNG with or without an NRL side. It is PNG that are wanting some of it spent on an NRL team which they hope to tie to social issues. Who are Victorians to tell PNG how to spend their aid money?

You may be underestimating the effects here. There are certain optics here:
You are replacing some of the aid money (yes the aid money won’t change) ostensibly to pay footballers who are already well off. Now you or I mightn’t think too much of it but it would be pretty easy to debate it and raise the cost of living pressures, the purpose of aid money, government direct investment to wholly pay something that would benefit a private sporting code (if they want it they should pay for it etc)

Canard

Immortal

You think taxpayers funding million dollar salaries won't be controversial?

Suranne Jones Drama GIF by BBC

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You think taxpayers funding million dollar salaries won't be controversial?

Suranne Jones Drama GIF by BBC
Yes, it is controversial... however, I don't think as many people will care about the topic as some may think. It is aid money, and it is ultimately PNG choosing to spend it on an NRL team and it will be politically spun as being good for society there in a number of ways (which it will, but not as much as the sales pitch will suggest).

Pirate Pete and co will do their best but ultimately it won't decide the election.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You may be underestimating the effects here. There are certain optics here:
You are replacing some of the aid money (yes the aid money won’t change) ostensibly to pay footballers who are already well off. Now you or I mightn’t think too much of it but it would be pretty easy to debate it and raise the cost of living pressures, the purpose of aid money, government direct investment to wholly pay something that would benefit a private sporting code (if they want it they should pay for it etc)
I think we'll have to see the entire package and how the money is distributed. If it's say $600m with the US chipping in some of that paid to PNG for and and social issues and national security etc. and RL is playing its part with the PNG government essentially owning an NRL team then that is palatable.

If it is $600m paid directly to the NRL or PNGRFL (which it most certainly won't be) then that's a different story.

Albo and his advisors will be fully aware of how this needs to be sold.

Brian potter

Bench
He’s a new PR on probation. Needs to be a tad more miserable
Expansion talk of the NRL is positive and very much the opposite of miserable mate.

The sooner the NRL embraces and expands into new markets which have use of bigger and more modern stadium compared to the tiny and outdated stadia like shark park which is the very personification of miserable the better.

Latest posts