What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major expansion U-turn is needed

blue bags

First Grade
My ideas of expansion
Southern Orcas would be a joint venture franchise. With 4 states. 4 cities involved
Perth. Adelaide. Hobart. And based. Living. Training in Melbourne
This plan takes care of the rest of Australia. All juniors would have a pathway feeder system to play NRL. A really smart committee would make it work easily.
Then next NRL franchise's would concentrate on the pacific oceanic . NZ. 3rd Brisbane

Brian potter

Bench
My ideas of expansion
Southern Orcas would be a joint venture franchise. With 4 states. 4 cities involved
Perth. Adelaide. Hobart. And based. Living. Training in Melbourne
This plan takes care of the rest of Australia. All juniors would have a pathway feeder system to play NRL. A really smart committee would make it work easily.
Then next NRL franchise's would concentrate on the pacific oceanic . NZ. 3rd Brisbane
This makes me feel ill.

it’s like the west tigers on steroids.

blue bags

First Grade
This makes me feel ill.

it’s like the west tigers on steroids.
NRL has a lot of joint venture club's franchise's
West tiger's. Magpies tiger's
Northern Eagles. Bear's eagles
St, George Illawarra dragons. Illawarra Steelers dragon's
Penrith Panthers. Canterbury bulldog's 😀
Gold coast. Tweed heads seagulls
We should consider joint ventures

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
I'm still not convinced that a second NZ side will be the slam dunk many are convinced it will be.

I'm certainly not opposed to the idea, in fact I think NRL will probably never get a better chance to launch NZ2 than now and fully support them entering the competition next. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if the new side struggles in a similar way to how the Warriors have in the past if they aren't particularly competitive on the pitch.
I think one of the selling points of a 2nd NZ team is that we don't put all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

At the moment if the Warriors are struggling, the game as a whole takes a backwards step over here - but that risk is spread if we have two teams.

flippikat

Bench
Unironically yes.

There's been a massive flight out of South Africa in the last few decades. Most are heading to the usual suspects, the US, UK, Canada, and yes Australia. It'd be fascinating to see what rate of South Africans are emigrating to the Netherlands.
A lot of ex-pat South Arficans have ended up on Auckland's north shore (basically suburbs north of the Harbour Bridge) too.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think one of the selling points of a 2nd NZ team is that we don't put all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

At the moment if the Warriors are struggling, the game as a whole takes a backwards step over here - but that risk is spread if we have two teams.
It's as likely as not that both teams will be mediocre to struggling sides most of the time, especially as more teams are added to the competition.

That's an aside though, the only point I was making was that it's unlikely that a second NZ side would be the instant success some believe it will be.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I thought Wellington/southern orcas have/had a bid to become NZ2?
The Wellington Orcas bid to join the NRL in 07 but lost out to the Titans. Since then the Wellington RL has used the brand for their rep teams and there's been on again off again talk of another bid.

The last Wellington based bid was lead by Andrew Chalmers (ex-Bradford Bulls owner and NZRL chairman) and was going to be called the Southern Orcas and play games out of Wellington, Christchurch, and potentially other cities in NZ. In effect the proposal was for the side to act as a de facto rest of NZ side until the NRL was ready to expand further in NZ, leaving Auckland to the Warriors.

The idea lacked focus and either would have ended up with a token presence outside of Wellington or trying to be everything to everyone, Chalmers doesn't have a great track record, and it's gone quite in the last couple years and never seemed to have much substance to it in the first place. It's more likely than not that the bid is dead.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The Wellington Orcas bid to join the NRL in 07 but lost out to the Titans. Since then the Wellington RL has used the brand for their rep teams and there's been on again off again talk of another bid.

The last Wellington based bid was lead by Andrew Chalmers (ex-Bradford Bulls owner and NZRL chairman) and was going to be called the Southern Orcas and play games out of Wellington, Christchurch, and potentially other cities in NZ. In effect the proposal was for the side to act as a de facto rest of NZ side until the NRL was ready to expand further in NZ, leaving Auckland to the Warriors.

The idea lacked focus and either would have ended up with a token presence outside of Wellington or trying to be everything to everyone, Chalmers doesn't have a great track record, and it's gone quite in the last couple years and never seemed to have much substance to it in the first place. It's more likely than not that the bid is dead.

blue bags

First Grade
The more I think about joint ventures - and especially the NRL's track record with them - the more I think we should NEVER have another one.

They've just been a recipe for disaster, if not mediocrity.
2 joint venture clubs has won the NRL grand final
And are highly successful 😁
West tiger's
St, George Illawarra Dragons
Both have 2 stadium's each
And both have huge amounts of juniors
And I would say if Northern Eagle's were still around playing in NRL
They would be highly successful to this day
And most probably won a few NRL titles by now
A massive blunder having the central coast miss out for all these years

flippikat

Bench
2 joint venture clubs has won the NRL grand final
And are highly successful 😁
West tiger's
St, George Illawarra Dragons
Both have 2 stadium's each
And both have huge amounts of juniors
And I would say if Northern Eagle's were still around playing in NRL
They would be highly successful to this day
And most probably won a few NRL titles by now
A massive blunder having the central coast miss out for all these years
Lol, you're viewing JVs through extremely rose-tinted glasses.

The Wests Tigers sole premiership was a "lightning in a bottle" late-season run where everything magically happened to go right for them, and the Dragons only premiership came when they head-hunted a supercoach for that specific goal, then they fell-off the radar once he left.

Having two home grounds is just indicative of their split loyalties, and having a big junior nursery means squat if the club can't retain & develop the best of that talent and use that to forge a dynasty.

Your comment on the Northern Eagles is pretty delusional to top it all off - Manly and Norths factions working together to create a "highly successful" (your words) club?!? I strongly doubt it.

Still, there's light there for Wests Tigers in the appointment of Shane Richardson as CEO - hopefully he can smack-down a lot of the factional bs & get the club pulling in the same direction and deliver some results. His marketing nous is valuable for a start - as the Tigers brand has a LOT of appeal just waiting to be unlocked.

blue bags

First Grade
North Sydney Grizzlies Bear's 🐻 were 1 of the best teams playing rugby league in the 1990s
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles same. Playing in grand finals.
It's a good idea to think
The Northern Eagle's would have been a highly successful franchise

flippikat

Bench
North Sydney Grizzlies Bear's 🐻 were 1 of the best teams playing rugby league in the 1990s
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles same. Playing in grand finals.
It's a good idea to think
The Northern Eagle's would have been a highly successful franchise
If the back-office isn't pulling in the same direction, and indeed comprised of two factions that *at least* treat each other with distrust (and at worst open animosity), then there's no way that good - let along great - on-field performances can happen.

An example of this is the differing points-of-view regarding the collapse of the JV:

Norths camp: "Manly were death-riding the whole thing, because they knew they'd get the spot to themselves if it fell-over. We tried to make it work, but they betrayed us for their own benefit"

Manly camp: "Norths were a broke club of losers, who should be grateful we tried a JV to give them some representation in the competition. It's sad that it didn't work - and we tried to make it work - but ah well.."

The Great Dane

First Grade
Better to have NZ2 as a side representing the whole of the South Island based permanently in Christchurch but playing a few games in other cities and towns like Dunedin and Nelson etc.
That's a bit like saying there should be a team permanently based in London that represents all of the south of England and plays a few games in other cities like Bristol, Bournemouth, etc. . .

I really don't understand how people expect these clubs to build any sort of connection to their communities or any habit of attending if they're always away from their communities.