What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make Clubs Strong Make the BIG GAME BIGGER!

Scarves

Juniors
This is a little long but I reckon it's a golden opportunity and a chance to really put it out there at a time when the great game of Rugby League is on the edge of a dream.

People talk of the large fan base in the AFL, we have the same fan base, arguably we have one even bigger when you include Sydney and that NSW and QLd has over half of the nations population. We have to maximise what the NRL has acheived through the fantastic finals series. The Bulldogs v Eels 80,000 blockbuster, we need to promote these rivalries and matchups more and make them important, so important that every meeting puts it all on the line, every meeting counts BIG.

NFL in America has a conference system, teams in relatively close proximity play each other twice in the same division and their points tally up against other teams within their division. Inter division games create enourmous rivalry.... we too can do this. I went there recently and was amazed with the rivalries developed over years of intra-divisional type games.

We must make our clubs big, we need to generate money to make our clubs strong, not allow them to go broke or become weak, weak clubs doesn't help the game or the fan.

It's obvious I'm promoting two divisions. There are 9 Sydney teams and 7 non Sydney (outside) clubs in the NRL. I say divide them up - 8 Sydney teams on one division and the 7 outside clubs + one sydney club in the other division. Every year the 'one' Sydney club can rotate in order to play in the outside division and it will be a "turns each" type of arrangement each season.

Each clubs play teams in their own distinct division twice, while playing against the other alternate division teams just the once each season. However there will be under this system two distinct competition tables for the seperate divisions with the top four teams from each division's competition table semi final bound making up a combined top 8 playoff series. That leaves us with 22 rounds, throw in the two byes and there's 24 rounds of quality.

Let's be honest, the Sydney clubs want to play each other during the season more often and the players and their fans enjoy playing on Sunday afternoons especially in winter when Old Sydney Town gets a bit of a chill. Each game versus other intra-divisional clubs would mean a hell of a lot more as they are accumulating points directly against their "local" opposition year in year out. Rivalries under this system would become enhanced, crowds will build because of the direct rivalries and the history will thicken. This is also applicable to the three Queensland clubs, the Broncos want to maximise their revenues as well by playing against the Titans and Cowboys, along with continuing to their developing rivalries with teams like the Storm and Warriors. Bigger crowds, bigger merchandising, bigger TV deals bigger clubs, STRONGER clubs, stronger game, better renumerated players, easier to follow draw, more local games for fans, this all spells GROWTH.

Yes the ability to create cash and grow the games junior base and set up good foundations for new outposts in Perth, Gosford, Wellington, or where ever else is a researched or targeted area for our game to grow in.

A grand final under this divisional system could be made up of any combination of the finalists, it wouldn't be too difficult to sort out order rankings in a top 8 system. Maybe the top two from each division make up the top four in an order reflective of their accumulated points, it's not the crucial part of the idea so I'm not going to discuss this particular point further.

This idea is all about maximising our fan base, our target market, promoting our clubs locally and getting back to traditions and focussing on our traditional rivalries. Forget rivalry rounds, every season will be choc full of crunch clashes laced with history.

Look, I'm a fan who is just a fan that loves his game, I want all clubs to be strong, I have cousins who follow Parra and Canterbury, mates who chant for the Tigers, workmates who are still struggling to comprehend the Roosters year of woe. I have a dad who is a Dragon till he dies while my family and a few other footy friends still bluntly regard Manly as the true reigning world club champions.

Yeah that's what we all love our mates and I, it's what fires us up all year, getting it over our mates and each other and championing the local derbies with our vocal attendance. We should scrap next years draw and re-do it with a format like I've discussed, now is the perfect time for the NRL to jump on board, understand the power this game really has in it's true tribal nature and take a firm hold of a massive development opportunity.

Good Talk.

Scarves

Juniors
A real high quality comment. The witless among us generally rely on sarcasm and spite to denigrate others. Most of the points in my post may have been stated previously, but the point is now is the time to really strike and get something similar to this competition structure happening. Without money the game is nothing, we need the clubs to become strong and I believe this is a positive way to start the engine.

Loudstrat

Coach
But the Sydney conference would suck and have weak teams coming out of it
There are no weak teams outside of Sydney????

The big problem with conferences based on Sydney v non Sydney (but wished they were) is that it would breed conflict between them based on the existing anti Sydney agenda that has already fuelled one civil war.

But :clap: for the thought behind your post.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
This is a little long but I reckon it's a golden opportunity and a chance to really put it out there at a time when the great game of Rugby League is on the edge of a dream.

People talk of the large fan base in the AFL, we have the same fan base, arguably we have one even bigger when you include Sydney and that NSW and QLd has over half of the nations population. We have to maximise what the NRL has acheived through the fantastic finals series. The Bulldogs v Eels 80,000 blockbuster, we need to promote these rivalries and matchups more and make them important, so important that every meeting puts it all on the line, every meeting counts BIG.

NFL in America has a conference system, teams in relatively close proximity play each other twice in the same division and their points tally up against other teams within their division. Inter division games create enourmous rivalry.... we too can do this. I went there recently and was amazed with the rivalries developed over years of intra-divisional type games.

We must make our clubs big, we need to generate money to make our clubs strong, not allow them to go broke or become weak, weak clubs doesn't help the game or the fan.

It's obvious I'm promoting two divisions. There are 9 Sydney teams and 7 non Sydney (outside) clubs in the NRL. I say divide them up - 8 Sydney teams on one division and the 7 outside clubs + one sydney club in the other division. Every year the 'one' Sydney club can rotate in order to play in the outside division and it will be a "turns each" type of arrangement each season.

Each clubs play teams in their own distinct division twice, while playing against the other alternate division teams just the once each season. However there will be under this system two distinct competition tables for the seperate divisions with the top four teams from each division's competition table semi final bound making up a combined top 8 playoff series. That leaves us with 22 rounds, throw in the two byes and there's 24 rounds of quality.

Let's be honest, the Sydney clubs want to play each other during the season more often and the players and their fans enjoy playing on Sunday afternoons especially in winter when Old Sydney Town gets a bit of a chill. Each game versus other intra-divisional clubs would mean a hell of a lot more as they are accumulating points directly against their "local" opposition year in year out. Rivalries under this system would become enhanced, crowds will build because of the direct rivalries and the history will thicken. This is also applicable to the three Queensland clubs, the Broncos want to maximise their revenues as well by playing against the Titans and Cowboys, along with continuing to their developing rivalries with teams like the Storm and Warriors. Bigger crowds, bigger merchandising, bigger TV deals bigger clubs, STRONGER clubs, stronger game, better renumerated players, easier to follow draw, more local games for fans, this all spells GROWTH.

Yes the ability to create cash and grow the games junior base and set up good foundations for new outposts in Perth, Gosford, Wellington, or where ever else is a researched or targeted area for our game to grow in.

A grand final under this divisional system could be made up of any combination of the finalists, it wouldn't be too difficult to sort out order rankings in a top 8 system. Maybe the top two from each division make up the top four in an order reflective of their accumulated points, it's not the crucial part of the idea so I'm not going to discuss this particular point further.

This idea is all about maximising our fan base, our target market, promoting our clubs locally and getting back to traditions and focussing on our traditional rivalries. Forget rivalry rounds, every season will be choc full of crunch clashes laced with history.

Look, I'm a fan who is just a fan that loves his game, I want all clubs to be strong, I have cousins who follow Parra and Canterbury, mates who chant for the Tigers, workmates who are still struggling to comprehend the Roosters year of woe. I have a dad who is a Dragon till he dies while my family and a few other footy friends still bluntly regard Manly as the true reigning world club champions.

Yeah that's what we all love our mates and I, it's what fires us up all year, getting it over our mates and each other and championing the local derbies with our vocal attendance. We should scrap next years draw and re-do it with a format like I've discussed, now is the perfect time for the NRL to jump on board, understand the power this game really has in it's true tribal nature and take a firm hold of a massive development opportunity.

Good Talk.

Wow! An articulate, well thought out and a very nicely written argument here in the NRL section of LU. Haven't seen one of these in a while...

While your vision does have some merit in that the Sydney teams do draw better crowds, and rate better when playing amongst themselves. I don't think this system is suited to the NRL just yet. Maybe in a few decades when league is much more stronger throughout all of Australia and the Australian population is more densely spread out like it is in the USA it would work. You must also not forget that sporting organisations in the USA like the NFL for example have 32 teams covering the entire country. If the NRL had this number of teams i would say let's do it!

But as it is now you'd have QLD'ers whining that they want to play Sydney teams or that they want their own conference of QLD teams. Which is essentially re-creating the old NSWRL and QRL days.

bobmar28

Bench

Good Talk.

Storm v Cowboys? Warriors v Cowboys? Close proximity? It seems one conference would be burdened with all the expensive travelling costs.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Storm v Cowboys? Warriors v Cowboys? Close proximity? It seems one conference would be burdened with all the expensive travelling costs.

Their sponsors would also have the benefit of getting exposure into new markets. Unlike the all Sydney clubs whose sponsors will be isolated in Sydney.

big_matt

Juniors
Good effort with the post.

I like the sentiment of the post in that following the american sports models is always a good idea (they do it better than anyone else) and you are right that rivalries need to be developed more. I think even the inner sydney rivalries were stronger in the past than they are now.

However, from someone who watches loads of NFL (Philly fan), the conferences there are not necessarily geographical but can be more rivalry based. Take the NFC East. Dallas Cowboys are in there even though they are in the south west (oppopsite corner of the states to Philly). Why are they there? Because they have always been the biggest rivals of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Therefore they get guarantee huge rivalry games but massive amounts of travel (which is something the already struggling NRL clubs couldn't sustain).

If you take our (Storm) biggest rivals its Manly and Broncos. If we were in a division with them its a huge trip for either fans every time. If you do it geographical we are in with Raiders who aren't really our rivals at all.

Overall though - I love hearing new ideas for the NRL as it has to change.

ozjet1

although the division system has merit, this point is the flaw in the OP's setup.

i promoted one also a few weeks back, more in response to the length of the season. the current NRL season setup contains too many dead games which doesnt excite the audience the way it could and should. could you imagine games of the importance of the Wests vs Parra in August this year, for the whole season?? that's what a shorter season with a division setup will promote.

http://leagueunlimited.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6143821&postcount=1

Doug2234

First Grade
NFL in America has a conference system, teams in relatively close proximity play each other twice in the same division and their points tally up against other teams within their division. Inter division games create enourmous rivalry.... we too can do this. I went there recently and was amazed with the rivalries developed over years of intra-divisional type games..

You do understand that the rivalry existed were before the NFL as it is today was formed. The NFL is the merger of American Football League and the National Football League and has played off of the pre existing rivalries developed.

I dont think that there are enough teams or its not a National Football League at all. There is only 1 football in America - NFL

big_matt

Juniors
You do understand that the rivalry existed were before the NFL as it is today was formed. The NFL is the merger of American Football League and the National Football League and has played off of the pre existing rivalries developed.

I dont think that there are enough teams or its not a National Football League at all. There is only 1 football in America - NFL

Another Philadelphia Eagles fan! I go to the Linc every season.

And you are correct - hence I made the point about the Cowboys being in the NFC East above.

Doug2234

First Grade
The NFL thrives on their crowd support and should be key for the NRL clubs. Members are a big part and i believe is the way forward for clubs. The NFL have cities with 1 million plus people who only have 1 team and are guaranteed sold out games of 60k-100k.

I mean take Dallas Cowboys for example: they have a record 160 streak of SOLD OUT GAMES!!! 79 at home (there previous home ground Texas Stadium - Capacity 65,725) and 81 on the road. They are 95% sold out for this whole season at there new 111,000 seat Cowboys Stadium @ $75 to $95 a ticket. The NRL cant be compared to the NFL in regards to revneue.

Saying all that if the game is NOT sold out then the NFL will step in and blackout the game from being shown on TV for the entire state where the game is being held. This way the clubs are ensured sold out games or no local fans can see the game. The TV rights is huge for NFL. There are 4 stations who all have bought in and pay a combined total of 20.4 BILLION a year for NFL.

Doug2234

First Grade
Another Philadelphia Eagles fan! I go to the Linc every season.

I havent been to the Linc for 3 years unfortunantly. Ive been going back and forth between here and Hawaii during the NFL season to watch my brother play for the Uni of Hawaii Warriors in the College football.

I did make the Pro Bowl earlier this year in Hawaii which was pretty cool.

ozjet1

The TV rights is huge for NFL. There are 4 stations who all have bought in and pay a combined total of 20.4 BILLION a year for NFL.
and the league has strict rules on what the broadcasters can and cant do.

in contrast, the NRL is run by the broadcasters.

Latest posts