What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mal's Plan to Revolutionise International League - 40/40 Matches (Please No)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Not a bad concept. Top level teams to different locations and several teams exposure to a top level opponent...

However, id be more interested in a 9s World Cup with qualifiers spread out rather than in just one place.

EG, send 3-4 teams to a location (Fiji, Bali, whatever) to play a round-robin then the winner goes on to a big final the next week. These locations get their games, but they have greater meaning than just the random exhibition.

Diesel

Referee
A Pacific Lions type team playing 3 games against Australia, in Fiji, PNG & Somoa or Tonga would be more beneficial

roughyedspud

Coach
You can shove a pacific allstars team up your arse too!!!

At the very least a Australia pm13,'A' team,under 24s... Call them whatever! Should go on extended tours of the pacific every post season..

A NZ 'A' team and England knights should do the same!

jim_57

Staff member
The sole "benifit" would be it involves 3 teams instead of 2.. but wait, I have an idea.. we can add another extra team (o_Oo_O) and have 2 full (unbastardised) internationals.

adamkungl

Immortal
How hard would it be for the Roos and Kiwis to play a test each in the Pacific every year.
Not very.
Ticks every box without any gimmicks that lessen the international game. Here's an annual draw for ya

During Origin:
NZ v Samoa @Nz
NZ v Tonga @Nz
Tonga v Samoa @Tonga/Samoa alternating by year
PNG v Fiji @fiji
PNG v Fiji @ PNG

In October:
AUS v aggregate winner of PNG/Fiji @ PNG/Fiji
NZ/Sam/Ton tri-series final @ home of 1st place team
Pacific Test remaining 2 teams
Aus v NZ home and away

November-December:
RLIF events/Regional cups/tours/WC Qualifiers

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A Pacific Lions type team playing 3 games against Australia, in Fiji, PNG & Somoa or Tonga would be more beneficial

The United Pacific thing would be great, but i think even better against the Indigenous All Stars.

The AS seem to inspire more love than the Kangaroos can muster, all they need is a decent opponent (the NRL All Stars is what holds the concept back). Then again, the Indigenous ASs needs to be played in Australia, so maybe a Maori All Stars is a better choice of opponent.

Maybe for the islanders, we can to a United Polynesia (NZ, Tonga, Samoa, etc) VS United Melanesia (PNG, Fiji, etc). Youd get 2 decent teams out of that...

Last edited:

expansionist

Juniors
I would love RL to stop talking about multi - national made up teams or even indigenous enthnicity based teams until real nations actually play test matches outside of world cups.