What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly don't want Hasler in 2012

Talons

Juniors
So many people sitting here sweating on something so they can put the boot into Manly, you think you would have learned by now. How many times has Manly gone through shit only to emerge stronger than before?

Do you really believe this will be any different!

We are the reigning premiers with an extremely strong roster, at the end of the day our coach and players don't give a rats arse about the feeble rumblings of a few keyboard heroes..it would be really funny to watch a few of you blokes operate in the real world.

wittyfan

Referee
Manly only went through shit from 1999-2004. Before that they always lived a blessed existence.

Patorick

Staff member
Proszenko, so this could be proven wrong within 24 hours, but anyway:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ail-of-carnage-split-club-20111112-1ncxn.html

Hasler's trail of carnage split club
Adrian Proszenko
November 13, 2011

Exclusive
Rugby League Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Media day at Brookvale Oval before the Grand Final Des Hasler Monday September 26th 2011.Pictures Steve Christo

Divide and conquer … Des Hasler has left Manly a club in crisis following allegations he verbally abused one staff member and sought to lure another to the Bulldogs in breach of contract. Photo: Steve Christo

DES HASLER attempted to walk out on Manly for the 2012 season as far back as August 22 - even though he was already under contract with the Sea Eagles for next season.

The Sun-Herald has obtained a series of explosive emails from Hasler to Manly officials, as well as the findings from a scathing report on the coach by the then chief executive Graham Lowe last year.

With Hasler's move to the Bulldogs fast-tracked by his sacking from the Sea Eagles for alleged breach of contract, it can be revealed that the dual premiership-winning coach:

Allegedly verbally abused development officer Dave Warwick for not joining him at Belmore in a rant overheard by other staff;

Allegedly sat outside the house of another staffer for two hours with a letter of offer from the Bulldogs in an attempt to entice him to breach his Manly contract;

Told Lowe that veteran media manager Peter Peters ''shouldn't be here'' during his coaching review;

Told chairman Scott Penn via email that he intended to ''immediately accept employment elsewhere for 2012 and beyond'' just weeks before the finals after the club came short of his asking price for 2013 and beyond.

The Sun-Herald put the first two allegations to Hasler, to which he replied: ''No, I deny those allegations, they are not accurate.

''More importantly, in the context of wanting to move forward positively for all parties, I see no value in looking to dredge up unsubstantiated rumours.

''I guess it can be seen as the end of a marriage where it would be easy for parties to throw mud with no real outcome. I do not wish to partake in that behaviour but as I said I would rather reflect on the successes.''

The developments will only increase the hostility between Manly and the Bulldogs, who are scheduled to meet on the field in an explosive match in round eight next year.

In a press release issued by his agent on Friday, Hasler denied he had breached his contract and claimed the board ''flatly rejected my proposal'' for an extension beyond 2012. However, in an email sent to Penn on August 22 under the subject line, ''Offer Next Steps'', Hasler - who had already exercised an option in his contract to remain at Brookvale for 2012 - wrote: ''… As you know, the recent negotiations have been conducted in relation to amounts of salary for the seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014.

''My salary for season 2012 is clearly not settled - that much is clear from the fact we are still negotiating about it …

''You have previously stated that I should ask you for a release. As I have said, given that the amount of salary for 2012, it is not settled upon, I don't think that I have anything from which I require a release.

''Your current 'final' offer, dated 15 August 2011 is not acceptable.

''Given the Club has not been able to formulate an acceptable offer for seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014 then I am notifying you that I intend to immediately accept employment elsewhere for 2012 and beyond.''

Hasler had maintained that his decision to join the Bulldogs would not affect his ability to coach the Sea Eagles in 2012. However, it's clear the relationship between Hasler and chief operating officer David Perry was broken beyond repair. In response to Perry's seemingly innocuous comments in a press release following the release of the 2013 NRL draw on November 5, Hasler fired him an email which read: ''David pls refrain from making any comment about football or anything to do with back-to-back or any aspirations. Your comment is at best uninformed.

''If any of this is unclear pls make an appointment to discuss it with me.''

But perhaps the most startling insight into Hasler's conduct at the club was contained in a document compiled a year ago. Lowe conducted an interview with Hasler between 10am and 11:30am on October 30, 2010, as part of ''2010 season in review with head coach'' at the club's Narrabeen headquarters. Lowe stated that the report was ''not a witch hunt'' but felt a review was necessary because: ''During the 2010 season I have observed a number of alarming characteristics about our current Head Coach.''

The review was conducted in a question-and-answer format, with some of the key exchanges including:

Lowe: ''Are you prepared to cooperate in a more engaging manner next year with Peter Peters … he will have total say with all media issues from now on?

Hasler: ''Peter Peters shouldn't be here, he's not a professional, and he doesn't know what he's doing …''

Lowe: ''Do you understand that there needs to be a plan for a time when we may well have another coach?''

Des: ''No. What are you talking about?''

Lowe concluded: ''… Des asked me during the review whether I would support him for an extension in his contract for season 2013 and 2014 [I said no] … On countless occasions I have heard complaints regarding the behaviour of the Head Coach from Board members … there had developed an unworkable situation between the two of us …''

It had been suggested that Peters' sacking may have been one of the reasons that Hasler - believed to be a firm friend - wanted out of Brookvale.

:lol: at Zorba.

Night.

dogslife

Coach
Des-olation row

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 2:28 PM
Source: BigPond Sport

In sport, success is the great soother. In the wake of a premiership victory, all differences are forgotten.
Usually.

Not so at Manly. It is less than six weeks since the Sea-Eagles snared the 2011 pennant and coach Des Hasler was showered with accolades. Now Hasler has been sacked and the club is in disarray. The rosy glow of victory has been replaced by the harsh glare of unwanted publicity. Manly appears to be a club riven with disunity.
On the day before Hasler was sacked, former club great Max Krilich provided this devastating character assessment: "Everybody knows Des.

Des only worries about Des. He is a very mercenary person. He doesn't care about Manly; he only worries about himself."
The patriarch of Manly, Ken Arthurson, was more measured but no less damning, suggesting Hasler had gone back on a promise not to lure key club personnel to his new home, Canterbury-Bankstown: "He's broken his word. Because of that I am really, really disappointed. He's entitled to leave. To do what he has done is beyond the pale."
Hasler, a devout Catholic who presents himself as an adherent to old-fashioned values, will be deeply hurt by these public statements from men he has known for decades.

One irony is that he was criticised this year for staying loyal to certain players and staff members, albeit at the expense of his relationship to club management; he may argue that loyalty is in the eye of the beholder. He accommodated the brattish sulking of Brett Stewart all season – remember Hasler's weird quote that "His soul hasn't been cleansed because the game hasn't apologised to him"? – rather than pointing out that the initial sanctions for his drunken behaviour came from Manly, not the League, and telling his fullback to stop sooking.

He stayed firm in his public support of Anthony Watmough. He defended his players after their pack-dog attack on Adam Blair during the so-called Battle of Brookvale. At the very end of the season he stuck tight with media minder Peter 'Zorba' Peters when he was stood down by the club executive for his sneering sexism towards a female journalist. When the Grand Final winners took to the podium after the Grand Final, Zorba was among them – a very public slapdown to Manly management.

Of course, the key factor in this imbroglio is money. Manly's financial position is not robust. The club tried to be cute by seeding stories that coach Hasler would stay with the Sea-Eagles because of his love for the jumper he wore in 255 games. The Bulldogs swooped and offered him enough money to shift his allegiance to Belmore.

The kicker was that they also snaffled Manly recruitment guru Noel Cleal. Hasler and Cleal had a lot of input into player contracts while they were at Manly. Some of those contracts included get-out clauses should Hasler not be coach. Rightly or wrongly, many people are predicting an exodus of Manly players to the Bulldogs. Kieran Foran has denied that he is going, but that situation could still change.

The finger-pointing will go on for some time. Hasler will be the baddy in the eyes of some. Others will suggest the board took one of the club's favourite sons for granted and was foolish not to sign him to a new contract earlier in the season – or, at the very least, part amicably with him once it was clear he was Bulldogs-bound in 2013. There will be a lot of angst, a lot of agitation, and it will be increasingly hard to remember that this was the Sea-Eagles' year.

Crusher Cleal sums it up this way: "Did Des want to stay? Of course he did. But not signing Des is where this all started and f--k knows where it's going to end. You think, we won the grand final five weeks ago and it feels like five years. And that's the sad part."

natheel

Coach
well despite watmough hitting out yesterday claiming they (players) will stick together, these rumours just dont seem to go away.

So of the 2011 gf winning side these are who have left

William Hopoate - Parramatta Eels (2014)
Des Hasler - Bulldogs (2012)
Michael Robertson - England (2012)
Shane Rodney - England (2012)

Rumoured losses

Keiran Foran - Bulldogs (2013)
Brett Stewart - Dragons/Bulldogs (2012)

by 2013/14 i think manlys gf winning side will be completely pulled apart...with the exception of watmough coz he wants to play with his mates...

Danny-Boy

Juniors
f**k dollar de$ is a psycho. The truth is coming out. Forget Bennett, this freak has Brian smith written all over him.

Dollar de$ only looks out for one person, dollar de$.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Lol sat outside of another staffers house for 2 hours trying to entice them to break their contract and sign for the bulldogs. Verbally abusing Warwick for not going to the bulldogs. Lol dollar de$ getting desperate already. What if foran doesn't follow him? Is he gonna wait outside his house and snipe him in the leg when he comes out?

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Manly's offer came up short of canterbury's offer? f**k how much is he on? Come on now, not a cool mil a season. What's Bennett on?

Dollar de$ only looks out for one person, dollar de$.

condochook

Juniors
News just in, the Blue Maroon and White Sea Dogs, have special salary cap dispensation to have 50 top line 1st graders from all other clubs, and still have $7.5 million to spend.
They'd reverting to their past accounting practices from 2001~2004. When asked about this ,salary cap auditor Ian Schubert said," ask Gallop, he said it was ok."
further news to follow on the the new Jersey Sponsor ,"Bred Not Bought....No Wait,Bought and Feck the NRL"
Woof woof squawk