What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly-Parra Rivalry

Parraren

Bench
From the Manly Daily.......

Verbal Stoush as Players Move On
4 September 2003
Manly Daily

THE great Manly-Parramatta rivalry is festering again with both clubs taking pot shots at each other following a flurry of strikes on their respective playing ranks.

The Sea Eagles have signed Eels trio Daniel Heckenberg, Shayne Dunley and Kane Cleal and are negotiating with winger Ronald Prince.
Their departures come a year after Manly nabbed Scott Donald, who has scored 20 tries to be in the running for the NRL's leading tryscorer of 2003.

The Eels struck just hours after this year's anti-tampering deadline passed, luring prop Aaron Cannings from the northern beaches to the banks of the murky Parramatta River.

Former Eagles Alex Chan and Steve Crouch are ensconsed at the Eels while Dunley played for the blue and golds this year before re-joining Manly.

The raids and counter raids have refuelled a hatred between the two clubs which stretches back to the mid-1970s.

"You've got to ask whether (Parramatta coach) Brian Smith is on the same planet as us mere mortals," Manly football manager Peter Peters said yesterday.

"We can't believe some of the players he's let go but we are delighted he has.

"Aaron (Cannings) leaves with our best wishes but we're more than happy with the players we've picked up."

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald defended his club's recruitment and retention program, firing an angry shot at Peters.

"I prefer to disagree with most things Zorba says," he said.

"We don't feel we've lost out at all. We've had to let some players go, such as Heckenberg and Dunley, as a result of the salary cap.

"But we're very excited to pick up Aaron Cannings.

"He should be a good buy for us."

But the Sea Eagles believe their biggest capture is a bloke who hasn't laced on a boot for two decades.

Noel "Crusher" Cleal has joined Manly as chief recruitment officer after a highly successfully association with Parramatta.

"'Crusher' is our best signing of the lot," Peters crowed.

"He and Arthur Beetson are the best recruiters in the business and all the good young players that Crusher was directing to Parramatta will now be directed to Manly."

Suitman

Post Whore
Something in this post concerns me.

Fitzgerald says " we've had to let Hecks and Dunley go because of the salary cap, but are excited to pick up Cannings.

If they hadn't have bought Cannings, they could have kept Dunley and Hecks.
There they go again.......using the salary cap as an excuse.
Why doesn't he just tell us the truth that Dunley and Hex didn't fit in with our plans, or didn't come up to scratch, instead of using the old Salary cap excuse.
Wearing a bit thin really.

Suity

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Suitman said:
Something in this post concerns me.

Fitzgerald says " we've had to let Hecks and Dunley go because of the salary cap, but are excited to pick up Cannings.

If they hadn't have bought Cannings, they could have kept Dunley and Hecks.
There they go again.......using the salary cap as an excuse.
Why doesn't he just tell us the truth that Dunley and Hex didn't fit in with our plans, or didn't come up to scratch, instead of using the old Salary cap excuse.
Wearing a bit thin really.

Suity

I agree with your post!!, i think he probably get more respect by telling the truth then beating around the bush!!, in saying this i am very happy with the Cannings signing and others & do believe that even if Heckenberg was retained he would of had a hard time holding down a first grade spot with the forward talent we will have!!,

At first i was unhappy with Dunley going but i must say.....he isn't getting any younger and he's been plagued by injury concerns not only this year but previous years.....still upset about the retention of Webster :? :? :?

glamour_eel

Juniors
Boring. Yeh good call Manly you picked up our winger who has scored 20 tries but look where you have finished! Honestly you would have thought you won the minor premiership. And whats with clubs and picking us as the "MAIN RIVALS"

Bulldogs - The 80's rivalry
Knights - The "we were the better team of 01" rivalry
Panthers - Western Sydney Rivalry
Broncos - The Bennett Smith thing
Sharks - Always seems to be a lot of spite
Manly - the latest

Make no mistake peoples it's the 'in thing' to be known to be rivals with the eels. What can i say...we're cool 8)

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Manly didn't want Dunley last year , thats why they didn't reatin him. Then he has a good season and they buy him back.

Disco

Bench
Mr Parra Eels said:
Manly just have to look where they are sitting on the ladder, 14th, nuff said
K, but with that logic, why are u guys excited bout ur "Major" signing, a guy who can't even get a start in the team that come 14th??? who even had Grant Wooden start in front of him

as for Glamour Eel, i think u'll find the Manly-Parra rivalry goes back to the early 80s when both teams were dominant, and i'd hardly call the Knights and the Sharks ur rivals

Misty Bee

First Grade
The rivalry has it's seeds in 1947 - the year we were both admitted to the comp. It really gained momentum in the mid 70's. manly stopped our miracle run of '75, and the rivalry really snowballed in 76, when they beat us in the GF on the back of scrum penalties. In '78 they drew a sudden death semi on the back of dubious refereeing by Greg Hartley. The replay had even more biased refereeing, and Manly won - went on to take the title.

That last game at Cumberland was a corker - a 20-all classic,in frint of a packed house. Then we beat them in '82 and '83.

That's how it started.

Parraren

Bench
Disco said:
Mr Parra Eels said:
K, but with that logic, why are u guys excited bout ur "Major" signing, a guy who can't even get a start in the team that come 14th??? who even had Grant Wooden start in front of him

Yes, isn't it funny how he was starting all the games before it was announced he was coming to Parra? :roll: He's very young and has loads of potential and that's why we're excited. He will blossom playing along side Hindmarsh & Cayless next year don't you worry.

Suitman

Post Whore
Disco said:
Mr Parra Eels said:

Jason Taylor couldn't get a start in your top side either when he left.
Sour grapes because he is leaving me thinks.

Suity

Disco

Bench
Parraren said:
Yes, isn't it funny how he was starting all the games before it was announced he was coming to Parra? :roll: He's very young and has loads of potential and that's why we're excited. He will blossom playing along side Hindmarsh & Cayless next year don't you worry.

Actually, i think he has only started 5-6 games all year, probably half before he signed with u guys, don't get me wrong, i'd loved for arron to stay, he can have great impact, tho he does seem to go missing occasionally, but as u said he is young and will improve

as for sour grapes, well we kept the better prop in King, and imo have covered well for Cannings, in fact i think we are stronger at prop than in 03 with new signings in Heckenberg (he is on fire), Donnelly, Rennie and Cleal

Disco

Bench
Suitman said:
True, sometimes a change of enviroment does the world of good, look at Scotty Donald, what a champ

Suitman

Post Whore
Disco said:
Suitman said:
True, sometimes a change of enviroment does the world of good, look at Scotty Donald, what a champ

Well, you dill, with that logic, you will understand why we are quite happy with the signing of Cannings.

Next time, talk some sense.

Suity

Disco

Bench
Suitman said:
Disco said:
Suitman said:

Well, you dill, with that logic, you will understand why we are quite happy with the signing of Cannings.

Suity
Oh My God, i wasn't saying Cannings was a bad buy
i was trying to get people to back up there arguements instead of just pulling off a baseless oneliner (eg Manly are 14th nuff said or Its the in thing to hate Parra), i'd prefer posts of Misty Bees quality instead, but as the rest of u guys seem intent on turning this into a slanging i will stick to the Tigers or Raiders forums where they can talk footy without taking potshots

Suitman

Post Whore
Disco said:
Suitman said:
Disco said:
Suitman said:

Suity
Oh My God, i wasn't saying Cannings was a bad buy
i was trying to get people to back up there arguements instead of just pulling off a baseless oneliner (eg Manly are 14th nuff said or Its the in thing to hate Parra), i'd prefer posts of Misty Bees quality instead, but as the rest of u guys seem intent on turning this into a slanging i will stick to the Tigers or Raiders forums where they can talk footy without taking potshots

Excuse me, but that is exactly the point I was making.
You were certainly not saying he was a good buy either.
Didn't mean to get into a slanging match, and am more than happy to have you stay here.
Just don't make statements that can be so easily misconstrued.
I'm happy Donald did well for you guys this year.
I'd be just as happy if Cannings did the same, although I can't see him scoring 20 odd tries.
Then again, you never know!! :lol: :lol:

Suity

Freak

Juniors
Disco I have many friends who support Manly who believe potentially Cannings is far better than King, and are very upset to lose him to the Eels.

In saying this I believe the ledger has been squared up with Hecks moving over to the beaches. He will be a great assett for Manly in 2004. He was our best in a beaten side again yesterday.

I have a soft spot for Manly and I hope they can again be a force in Rugby league over the next couple of years.

Disco

Bench
Freak said:
Disco I have many friends who support Manly who believe potentially Cannings is far better than King, and are very upset to lose him to the Eels.
Yeah, u could really make an arguement for either, in regards to who is better, but in my opinion its King, the guy is only 21 and has the burden of carrying our pack as forward leader, thats alot of pressure for a young guy, plus he has had a niggling shoulder injury practically all year, and whilst he hasn't been as explosive as Cannings (or himself from last year) he has been consistantly making yards and working hard in defence, for mine i think a fully fit King will have a blinder next year

Agent Mulder

Bench
Pfffttt Heckenburg is good and all but Cannings is still young and thrive under Smiths coaching...i say we got the better deal there.

So....they got back Dunley? shouldn't of let him go in the 1st place? huh? he didn't do much at Manly/Balmain did he? isn't that the 2nd or 3rd time that Dunley has been lured back to Manly? i mean didn't he start off at Manly and left for Balmain?

Anyway yeah Crusher is a big loss but we'll be fine.

Ronald Prince? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: errrr ok!

Latest posts