What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matautia contract updates

The fact Pete ditched Hadad is telling. I would say he has had a word to his brothers as much as anyone about the man's motives. It also makes it clearer why Pete knocked the Bulldogs back. It may well have been a ploy to bring the other three to the Bulldogs with some ridiculous claim they are local juniors cos they were born there. They have lived and played all their junior footy in Newie since 2000.

Bluebag

Juniors
if he was after their money at the last contract signing he knocked back more money elsewhere to have them stay in Newcastle who had cap issues at the time. Peter was offered a release by st george to free up money but wanted to stay there on the belief he would get more at the end of next year. He left as Bennett didnt want him. The manager has helped all the boys out in the past and sione has said he is still his manager and has resigned only Peter hasnt. I find this all funny as it is hyped on on paper reports and a ceo who hasnt even made the time to discuss the contracts. You have 2 wingers on huge money which is strange and he knocked back the chance to free up space and move one on.

I would suggest that the document Coby references is all the proof you need to know that most of bluebag's claims are pasted together from vague newspaper claims. I have never read or been told Pete was given a release by the Dragons either. Makes zero sense he would leave a side that is struggling for outside backs as it is to go to a club where opportunity will be limited.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Man up Blue Boy, clarify your claims or piss off for good.

Stick the knife in him Coby, he's done.

Can't hou take care of him and ban him or at least dump him in the troll thread?

Spot On

Coach
Haha. Posting in here is a good enough reason. At least dump the posts in the troll thread - they're incomprehensible anyway.

Nuffy

Bench
So whats happening with the brothers, been awful quiet for a long time....................

Noname36

First Grade
So whats happening with the brothers, been awful quiet for a long time....................

I'm pretty sure we're not going to get much news for a very long time. Apaarently the Dogs have offered them contracts that we simply can't match. I know a lot of people will ask how that's posible looking at our squad but we need to remember that the Dogs have access to millions in third party money that we don't and we need to face the reality that we simply can't be giving them crazy amounts of money (especially Chanel and Pat whom will be depth players next year) when we need enough for the rest of the top 25. I really hope the brothers understand that we absolutely want to retain them but we also need to take the whole squad into consideration but some of Sione's comments have made it clear that they'll be off if we don't match the Dogs offer. Difficult times.

Apparently there's also been more crap with the manager which will put things back again.

To be honest it's gotten to a stage where I hope the club gives them a deadline of before the season kicks off and if they don't extend by then that's it. As much as I'd hate seeing Sione leave I care much more about the stability of the overall team.

Swarzey

Bench
We'll be fine.

They're still in the process of splitting from their manager who's bullshitted them time and time again. Newest little development is that they were told no one else but the Bulldogs were interested, hence why they signed. Furthermore it's not a package deal, that's just a media assumption.

It's a very, very messy and unfortunate situation but we're six months out from losing them or at least Sione. We finally have a talent that can take us somewhere and the club will absolutely do everything it can to ensure the future.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
We should offer Sione good money and only try to keep one of Chanel or Pat as depth.

While Chanel had a solid showing in FG at the back end of the season, he still has Aku and McManus to compete with for the next few years yet. I also think Mamo has a much higher ceiling as far as potential goes and I think one of the reasons he struggled this year was because of the back injury he had. He was a different player at the start of the season when he was absolutely killing it in NYC.

Spot On

Coach
We'll be fine.

They're still in the process of splitting from their manager who's bullshitted them time and time again. Newest little development is that they were told no one else but the Bulldogs were interested, hence why they signed. Furthermore it's not a package deal, that's just a media assumption.

It's a very, very messy and unfortunate situation but we're six months out from losing them or at least Sione. We finally have a talent that can take us somewhere and the club will absolutely do everything it can to ensure the future.

Love to know where this info has come from Swarzey???

From the outside looking in, it seems we are no hope of retaining the ones we want.

I've also heard we are absolutely no hope of matching the Bulldogs deal. I really can't see anything changing. As No Name suggested, give a deadline to them and then wave goodbye if they choose to leave. Can't have them playing firsts for us.

perverse

Referee
All I know is, if we re-sign Gids but let Sione leave, I'll lose my shit deluxe. I could imagine it happening at this point.

Swarzey

Bench
Love to know where this info has come from Swarzey???

From the outside looking in, it seems we are no hope of retaining the ones we want.

I've also heard we are absolutely no hope of matching the Bulldogs deal. I really can't see anything changing. As No Name suggested, give a deadline to them and then wave goodbye if they choose to leave. Can't have them playing firsts for us.

General spin I suppose but it's better then sitting with our heads in the dumps believing it's all doom and gloom because I swear to f**king god that's all people do around here. Does help that it fits what we've seen printed in the media before about the manager doing the deal in a dodgy manner.

From the outside it looks so bad because all the club has done over the past decade is make shit decision after shit decision; it's expected to think it's impossible but any one person with a shred of sanity will do whatever it takes to retain at least Sione.

Of course we can't match the Bulldogs, they've got more third party deals lined up then perhaps our entire f**king squad combined, but I highly, highly doubt they're going to go because the dollar is higher. From everything we've heard, they don't seem to be the sort of boys to do so. They're looking out for their future and if we can offer that on a dollar that is respectable, then I'd have to be at the other end of the spectrum to think they would turn us down.

Honestly, it's pathetic that people have settled on the idea that they're going to go regardless and instead of hoping that perhaps this is going to be different, that for once this is going to go well for us would rather slit their wrists and think it's all over.

macavity

Referee
How does it look for the NRL if under their stewardship we lose our most promising junior in 20 years?

TBH that's the only reason I think they will stay - because it would look more than bad for the NRL.

I hope the Herald rams that angle home ad nauseum if this drags on.

Yosh

Coach
I wonder what kinda coin Gids would be offered if he stays... Surely bare minimum... Wouldn't make any sense to give him anymore with his injury history recently...

Latest posts