What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Finals Week 1: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SamSepi0l

Juniors
I wanted to ask the question.

Is anyone maybe thinking Clune is the better option right now? He's not put a foot wrong and has absolutely contributed to plenty of tries in the last few games.

There's no telling how Hastings will go with a few weeks off and confidence in his ankle.

It's a really tough spot. All signs say Hastings is the man if he's fit, but I also think maybe, just maybe Clune is the better option right now?
I don't think it's a tough spot. If Hastings is fit he's an auto selection. He's a key reason why we're playing a home semi.

Old dog

Juniors
Not worried if Hastings or Clune play 7 though prefer Hastings if fit.
Ponga even if not fit is much better than Miller if not fit would be looking at Gags to 1 and play Tuala.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Given Hastings had an ankle injury, I wonder how his fitness levels are. If he's been unable to run at training enough, Clune may be the better option.

Woody90

Juniors
Not worried if Hastings or Clune play 7 though prefer Hastings if fit.
Ponga even if not fit is much better than Miller if not fit would be looking at Gags to 1 and play Tuala.

Yeah agreed. Normally I’d be against moving the side around to cover 1 injury but Miller still scares me and Tuala went well on the weekend.

I hope KPs ok though. Gags won’t let us down at the back but Ponga’s speed on the backline plays will he missed.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Adam Elliott

14. Kurt Mann 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker

18. Adam Clune 19. Lachlan Miller 20. Dylan Lucas 21. Enari Tuala 22. Brodie Jones

Out: Lachlan Miller (fullback), Enari Tuala (centre), Adam Clune (halfback), Fa'amanu Brown (hooker), Dylan Lucas (second row), Brodie Jones (second row), Riley Jones (bench), Oryn Keeley (bench)

In: Kalyn Ponga (fullback), Dane Gagai (centre), Jackson Hastings (halfback), Phoenix Crossland (hooker), Leo Thompson (front row), Tyson Frizell (second row), Lachlan Fitzgibbon (second row), Kurt Mann (bench)
Changes: Jack Hetherington (front row to bench)

PhilGould

Bench
We'll be lucky if that 17 is the one that runs out.

Jones over Brown on the extended bench is the only surprising one. There's an argument to be made that Lucas makes more sense on the bench than Croker with how they currently use him but I doubt they make that change now.

Burwood

Bench
How many teams play 3 props off the bench? Good game plan to hammer Canberra through the middle with their injuries/suspensions in the forwards.

Rod

Bench
As bad as this Canberra team is anything can happen in an elimination game. I won't be happy until the game is over or we're up by 30.

The key is that the players themselves are up for it and aren't complacent. Given the way they've had to scrap their way to their current position I'd be shocked if they took this game lightly in any way.

Nuke

Staff member
I say this nearly every week of late, but I, and I presume 'we', have supported the Knights during these past 20yrs, so for me I never 'expect' a win. I am forever hopeful every game, but to expect a win is like loading a gun, removing the safety, and pointing it directly at your foot.

Newcastle should beat Canberra and beat them by 20+ points, and I hope they do. But I don't expect them to.