What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 1: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
Interesting still reading so many articles speculating who our halves will be and calling for Cogger to be picked there. I’ll deadset walk from Sydney to Newcastle if AOB doesn’t pick Gamble and Hastings for round 1 with Cogger at 14.

Burwood

Bench
Round 2 will be the true test when Brailey is due to return and Crossland will reclaim his spot on the bench.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Cogger has done nothing to demand a spot.

I'm not confident. This team isn't at a spot where I'm confident week to week that we will win. Canberra's one and only strength is the weak spot of this team.

mozza91

Coach
They ambushed us big time last year with a backs against the wall effort. I think (maybe more hope actually) we’ll be ready for it this time.
We should have too many points for them and if we can start strongly then it could be a pretty comfortable win.

Us by 16
Gamble FTS and MOTM

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’d be more worried about us being complacent in this game if we’d smashed them last time around. However given how close that was to a boil-over I think we’ll take them seriously and be massively up for this game. Raiders have plenty of heart but we’ll be playing at home in front of a bumper crowd so I can see us being more fired up and we’ve got the cattle to make it a good win.

Yosh

Coach
I don't think it really matters who plays in the halves; whoever plays will do their job just fine because they are all decent or good players. Before week 5 or 6, injuries will probably decide who plays anyway.

I hope our middle forwards step it up this year. I think we are strong enough to compete across the park with the best of them, but our middle forwards always get outgunned by the better sides. We need the Origin Saifitis week in and week out if we are serious about making the top 4.

I don't think it really matters who plays in the halves; whoever plays will do their job just fine because they are all decent or good players
I think the Dragons in 2010 with Hornby and Soward proved you can win a Premiership without a superstar half.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Strong squad. Kai is an absolute weapon off the bench. Gagai can make any winger look solid. Not much of concern. We will beat ourselves to lose this.

Woody90

Juniors
it was badass

The Rorters have dodged it so far, so cannot see it happening.

Sadly the Roosters aren’t even close the best team in the comp. Penrith and Brisbane go up another level (as much as I hate the Broncos their performance in R1 will be an anomaly).

No surprises in our team and named as expected. I’m fully expecting everyone in the media to cry about Cogger not being picked, but I don’t think anyone with any interest in the Knights thought anyone other than Hastings and Gamble would get first shot. As it should be IMO and for once I’ve got to hand it to AOB for not bending to media push.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Sadly the Roosters aren’t even close the best team in the comp. Penrith and Brisbane go up another level (as much as I hate the Broncos their performance in R1 will be an anomaly).

No surprises in our team and named as expected. I’m fully expecting everyone in the media to cry about Cogger not being picked, but I don’t think anyone with any interest in the Knights thought anyone other than Hastings and Gamble would get first shot. As it should be IMO and for once I’ve got to hand it to AOB for not bending to media push.
Hastings and Gamble deserve their spots based on their incredible contributions to the run last season. And even before that. Gamble’s efforts against Penrith at home last year was where I found anew level of respect for him. He led and took that side with him.

Hastings and Gamble deserve their spots based on their incredible contributions to the run last season. And even before that. Gamble’s efforts against Penrith at home last year was where I found anew level of respect for him. He led and took that side with him.
I agree. We tend to look at players and their ability only, without the inside knowledge of player interaction, characters, and team cohesion etc.

What I've seen on-field from Gamble, his character suggests he has plenty of what the team has been lacking for so many years - namely mongrel, competitiveness, and will to win.

Regardless of skill-set Gamble is a winner. I like him.

mozza91

Coach
His skill set is what impressed me most tbh. I knew he had the dog in him and would compete all day but didn’t realise he had such a good selective passing game and a handy kicking game too.

Knight Tales

Juniors
His skill set is way better than so called experts give him credit for. He is all in. You cannot make someone like that. You are born that way. He is non conformist on field. He only sees the moment he is in. Nothing else: I feel that is why he rubs some big head players the wrong way, But most would kill to have his winning desire.