What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sydney @ Sydney Cricket Ground

Who will win? Round 1: Sydney v Newcastle

• Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aqua_duck

Coach
i think we kind of misread how the new rules were going to play out last year. We went into the season with a very deliberate approach of rolling through the middle and with the extra scrutiny around the ruck and quicker PTB we probably thought that would be the best approach but sort of neglected the part where you have to score points when in good field position. Today it looked like we actually played some football, early ball to the edges, offloads, sideline to sideline instead of just one out runs and block plays. Mann isn't great by any means but he certainly can pass better than Watson and that will be key in us playing the type of football we want to play

Yosh

Coach
i think we kind of misread how the new rules were going to play out last year. We went into the season with a very deliberate approach of rolling through the middle and with the extra scrutiny around the ruck and quicker PTB we probably thought that would be the best approach but sort of neglected the part where you have to score points when in good field position. Today it looked like we actually played some football, early ball to the edges, offloads, sideline to sideline instead of just one out runs and block plays. Mann isn't great by any means but he certainly can pass better than Watson and that will be key in us playing the type of football we want to play

Mann's tackle on JWH was a thing of beauty.

General Knight

Juniors
I know its only round one and the Roosters were trash but pretty impressed with the win. First time i can recall us winning convincingly without relying on individual or KP brilliance.

Alex28

Coach
What a great game by the boys. Just watched the replay (listened live whilst playing golf) - defence was outstanding - and you can put that on AOB and Knowles.

Not understating Joey’s influence on attack - it’s the best we have looked in a long, long time. Really happy for Dom Young - he is going to be fantastic!

Jono078

Referee
To me it seems there were some mixed thoughts on Randall yesterday?

I personally thought it was one of his better games for us. Not only was he a tackling machine in the middle, he offered some nice runs and clearing kicks for us. I do think some of his deliveries were slow and indecisive, but I do think it was the most he's looked like a first grader and did his job well out there.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yes as I said when Brailey got injured - Randall will do the job. A tackler, super fit, has grown up as a 6 with some skills and toe.

People here complain about his passing from 9 but I don’t see the issue. He could be more of a passing wizard yes but I think he’s serviceable. It feels like one of those things someone brought up on the forum once and people just continue to go on about it.

Woosh

Head Moderator
I personally thought it was one of his better games for us. Not only was he a tackling machine in the middle, he offered some nice runs and clearing kicks for us. I do think some of his deliveries were slow and indecisive, but I do think it was the most he's looked like a first grader and did his job well out there.
Didn’t even notice him yesterday tbh which is a good thing.
Like I said after Jayden went down, Randall will do the job fine.

slotmachine

First Grade
Didn’t even notice him yesterday tbh which is a good thing.
Thought the same in the first 30 minutes, he got more involved as the game went on.

Was a game last year, maybe against Brisbane, where his service was crap. There was this weird pause/hitch he had before passing. No where to be seen yesterday.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
To me it seems there were some mixed thoughts on Randall yesterday?

he offered some nice runs and clearing kicks for us.
I thought his clearing kicks were superb, nice variety for the team. Would like to see him extend that to some attacking kicks close to the line.

He was good yesterday. As good as any back-up hooker you could possibly hope for.

Yosh

Coach
I think Randall was the first Knights hooker I've seen with a decent kick. It's something we have needed for a long time.

Jono078

Referee
It's the Dally M, not everyone will agree... But Roach should have his voting credentials taken off him..

Yosh

Coach
Just watching the game again today. Some thoughts.

- We looked a little 'scared' at the start of the game. We are so used to losing to the Roosters, I think we lacked a little belief early in the game but by the end of the game we were clearly must more confident.
- The Tedesco no try was definitely a no try. Why is the media always on our back? We weren't lucky, that's just the rules.
- If we have 10+ successful offloads a game, we're going to make the top 6 this year. We are so much more threatening throwing the ball around.
- We clearly looked the fitter team. Looked stronger than the Roosters as well.
- Randall's service looks worse on second viewing. Brailey will add a new dimension when he gets back.
- I think Connor is still a Knight's fan. He had a terrible game.
- I'm still not sold on Fitzy but Mann might just have his best ever season for us. Compared to Watson, his physicality in defense means we don't give away too much by having a smaller man in the middle.
- Clifford looks so much more comfortable being the main half and playing no the right. I think Pearce was always hindered but a lack of composure. That leaked onto the whole team but now Pearce is gone, we look more composed all across the park in both attack and defense.
- Kicking game needs work. Had some good kicks but more than half our kicks were duds.
- The game could have swung in the Rooster's favor when JWH came on but Barney neutralized that threat. Barney off the bench might be a strategy we should stick with.
- Gagai's defense is so much better than I remember it being.

A bunch more I wanna say but looks like I've said too much already...