What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 26 vs Dragons @ UOW Jubilee Oval

Who will win? Round 26: Dragons v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
I've also noticed Brown seems to be a big Pat Mata'utia fan. He's giving him game time in the forwards over Pauli Pauli. He's hardly had any time at all in reserve grade playing in the forwards but he's been chucked straight into first grade to learn a new position. He's definitely a fan of the Mata'utia's otherwise he wouldn't have brought Pete back.
He's probably on 300k and wants to see if theres anything fatpatmat is remotely good at.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I havent seen a game in a few weeks. What do we all think of Sione in the Backrow??

I remember most were shitting on the idea when Stone tried it, but Dicky also seemed only to do it off the cuff. I wonder how he'd go with some development there....

Glendale

Juniors
I havent seen a game in a few weeks. What do we all think of Sione in the Backrow??

I remember most were shitting on the idea when Stone tried it, but Dicky also seemed only to do it off the cuff. I wonder how he'd go with some development there....

If you haven't seen him play in the back row at all yet then you've missed out big time. Way more effective there then in the centres. We've got ourselves a gun backrower.

slotmachine

First Grade
Sione will make a better second rower than centre. Needs to work on tackling technique unless he wants to go the way of Jimmy Mac.

Wouldn't go as far as to say gun back-rower though. All he does is take (powerful) hit-ups. The offload on the weekend was good to see though

perverse

Referee
How many 20 year old centres have gone as well as he has in the second row in the past 20 or 30 years? Can you name more than 5? God you talk some shit sometimes slots, lol.

Sione is miles ahead of his peers, who knows where he will plateau. The fact that he's got flaws in his game at his age is hardly noteworthy. I don't get what is up your arse about Sione.

slotmachine

First Grade
I find it amusing that people act like he is some generational talent when he's not. First he was playing fullback and the next GI, then he played centre and was the next Folau. Probably the next SBW now he's in the second row.

Wade Graham, SBW, Cordner were better second rowers at the same age, just off the top of my head. Hopefully he turns out as good as they are.

Knight76

Juniors
He will be a solid backrower if he keeps the hit ups going like he has been. His offloading and tackling should improve with time. But as a starting point he is great.

perverse

Referee
I find it amusing that people act like he is some generational talent when he's not. First he was playing fullback and the next GI, then he played centre and was the next Folau. Probably the next SBW now he's in the second row.

Wade Graham, SBW, Cordner were better second rowers at the same age, just off the top of my head. Hopefully he turns out as good as they are.
Which of the players you just named were 20 year old centres? Which of them played their first game of second row in first grade?

Disregarding that you ignored that relevant stipulation - I would say with the exception of Sonny Bill, you could compare Sione's first games as a backrower with any of those you've mentioned pretty favourably. How many games has Sione played as a backrower in his life?

Nope, he's not going to be the next SBW. He could be anything between a very good first grader to some level below SBW, though. With a tiny handful of games under his belt in the position, it's hard to say... but the signs are as good as ANY second rower I've ever seen in the red and blue at the same point in their careers. That is cause for optimism, even if you want to shit all over it every chance you get.

Let's continue. I've never said he was the next GI, so that's not a relevant argument here. Maybe some people have, I don't know... to be honest I think that's mostly fabricated in the same way people called Clydsdale "the next Cam Smith" - another fallacy you like to go on with. Just because someone compares a juniors game to a current player, doesn't in any way suggest that said junior will actually rise to the heights of that player - you are comparing skillsets and the way they play. You know this as well as I do, but it doesn't fit your little narratives, so you disregard it for a cheap shot. I don't think anyone, ever, that I have read has compared Sione to Folau. Not as far as potential goes, nor as far as their respective playing styles goes. If they have - I missed it. I think you've got your wires crossed with something you read over at clown college. Sounds like something they would say.

I look at a blokes like Beau Scott and Ben Creagh to judge how far Sione could go. Both centres-turn-backrowers. If he has a career to match either of those blokes, he'll be doing very well. He could easily be better than both. Apparently that's nothing to be excited about in your book. Actually, we should expect more?

I can't fathom why you want to shit on everyone feeling good about actually producing a great junior. You were dead set deathriding the bloke at the start of the year. There's only a small handful of players his age in the country that I would swap for him.

slotmachine

First Grade
Ok, so you agree with me then. Not a generational talent, but potentially a very good player.

I'll refrain from commenting on any of siones flaws in future as it seems to upset everyone so much.

perverse

Referee
Ok, so you agree with me then. Not a generational talent, but potentially a very good player.

I'll refrain from commenting on any of siones flaws in future as it seems to upset everyone so much.
You can say whatever you like mate, just don't expect it to not be called out. No-one was, is or has been claiming Sione is a generational talent. That's a term you made up on the spot to criticise the way I feel most of us adjudicate Sione - which is how I described above. You're talking out of your arsehole, and I wouldn't give a shit if I didn't have to smell it all year.

perverse

Referee
Sione will make a better second rower than centre. Needs to work on tackling technique unless he wants to go the way of Jimmy Mac.

Wouldn't go as far as to say gun back-rower though. All he does is take (powerful) hit-ups. The offload on the weekend was good to see though
So he'll be a very good player, but he won't be a gun? lol, you're a dead set plonker sometimes.

Glendale

Juniors
Brown coached both Beau Scott and Ben Creagh and was quoted as saying he thinks Sione is better then both at the same age.

Glendale

Juniors
It's been a long year and we're all a bit hysterical atm. Thank the lord this is the last game!! :) One thing that can't be argued is that Sione has been one of our bright spots this year. Him along with the Saifiti's and Ross are the things that have kept me excited all year.

Knight76

Juniors
I think Ross has earned his chance at FB in front of Feeney or Phythian.

I can't fathom how Brown can't see Ross needs more room to move. He looks dangerous every time he gets the ball, and being pinned against the sideline is seriously restricting

UpTheKnights

Juniors
I'd agree that Ross has definitely earned a shot at FB- and that he would be awesome with some more room. However for this game in particular that would mean either Mamo or Dennis would take his wing spot and i wouldn't be keen on that at all

Zoidberg

First Grade
So our game will be giving a trial on the Captains Challenge.

How the Captain's Challenge will work:

- Can only be used to challenge a try or no-try ruling

- Captains will have 20 seconds following a try/no-try decision to challenge the decision.

- No replays either at normal speed or in slow motion, will be shown on a big screen at the ground until the time allowed for requesting of a captain's challenge has elapsed.

- A captain may request a review of any try/point-scoring decision made by an on-field official in relation to: groundings, knock-ons, obstruction, double movement, offside, touchline /touch-in-goal/dead-in-goal, tackle in the air, steals involving two or more defenders, foul play, as well as goals and field goals.

- You get unlimited challenges if the decision is overturned after review. If the original decision is found correct after review, you have no more challenges for that half.

Watch us screw ourselves over with an awful challenge.