What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Panthers @ Pepper Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Panthers v Knights

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2017 - Round 4
Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights
Pepper Stadium, Penrith (TICKETS)
Friday 24 March 2017

Gates 3:30pm | NYC 3:45pm | NRL 6pm

PEN-17teamlist.jpg

1. Matt Moylan 2. Dean Whare 3. Waqa Blake 4. Tyrone Peachey 21. Dallin Watene Zelezniak 6. Te Maire Martin 7. Nathan Cleary 8. James Tamou 9. Peter Wallace 10. Regan Campbell-Gillard 11. Bryce Cartwright 12. Isaah Yeo 13. Trent Merrin
Interchange: 14. Peta Hiku 15. Leilani Latu 16. Viliame Kikau 17. Sitaleki Akauola 18. Moses Leota 19. Tim Browne 20. Dylan Edwards 22. Corey Harawira

NEW-17teamlist.jpg

1. Brendan Elliott 2. Ken Sio 3. Dane Gagai 4. Peter Mata'utia 5. Nathan Ross 6. Brock Lamb 7. Trent Hodkinson 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Danny Levi 10. Josh Starling 11. Sione Mata'utia 12. Jamie Buhrer 13. Mitchell Barnett
Interchange: 14. Luke Yates 15. Jack Stockwell 16. Sam Stone 17. Jacob Saifiti 18. Jacob Gagan 19. Joe Wardle 20. Josh King 21. Anthony Tupou

REF-YELLOW-2017.jpg

Referees: Henry Perenara, Gavin Reynolds
Sideline Officials: Rohan Best, Phil Henderson
Video Referees: Luke Patten, Jared Maxwell

U20s Round 4
Panthers v Knights at Pepper Stadium, Fri 3:45pm

ISP NSW Round 4
Penrith v Wyong (Roosters) at Pepper Stadium, Sat 3pm
Newcastle v Wentworthville (Eels) at Lyall Peacock Oval Toronto, Sat 3pm​

Last edited by a moderator:

Glendale

Juniors
Our biggest test of the season so far, against a good team.

Not expecting a win, but the aim should be to keep up the same level of effort and fight that we've shown and not get blown off the park.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Panthers seem vulnerable but I think will be in for a big performance against us.

We are a chance, but a lot of things will have to go our way.

Fangs

Coach
Expecting this to be a good clash. Plenty of heart shown by the Knights this season. They shouldn't win if Penrith play at their best but as has previously been said, we look vulnerable.

Fully fit 17 after the game on the weekend? Ross looked in agony before he got strapped.

Joel-22

Juniors
I'd go with:

1.Pete Mata'utia
2.Jacob Gagan
3.Dane Gagai
4.Nathan Ross
5.Ken Sio
6.Brock Lamb
7.Trent Hodkinson
8.Daniel Saifiti
9.Danny Levi
10.Jacob Saifiti
11.Sione Mata'utia
12.Jamie Buhrer
13.Mitchell Barnett

14.Jack Stockwell
15.Josh Starling
16.Anthony Tupou
17.Luke Yates

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Gagan dislocated his thumb pretty bad in ISP game on wkend. Doubt he'll be available.

I don't fault the teams attitude in these opening three rounds. Defense through the middle, defense in opposition territory and general attack have been huge improvements so far this year.

Our edge defense still really worries me and I don't think teams have played that advantage properly yet. Panthers have a great team and great edge attack, hopefully we can stand up to that.

Also team announcement will be interesting today with Elliot, Sione, and Ross main injury concerns. More injuries, more testing our depth, which isn't quite there yet sadly.

I mean Tuesday. Sorry. Night shift got me messed up.

perverse

Referee
Not a bad side really. Any word on Ross and Sione's injuries?
Just a guess, but I reckon Sione to pull through - Ross to have a bit of a break on the sideline. Just based off what Browny said at the presser - that Ross was the only bloke really forced to stay on through injury because of the concussion rules.

Also our edge defence to get torn to pieces again this weekend. Lamb is a total liability, and Hodko didn't mind letting Johnston through last week, either. Hodko is alright front-on... can be run around with enough space on the fringe, though.

Last edited:

Glendale

Juniors
I'm tellin ya. Give the 20s fullback a run. He has been one of our best in the lower grades.

Wouldn't be opposed to giving him a run on the wing this week if Ross is out. Gagan and Chanel are injured so not many other options. Wouldn't throw him in at fullback yet though.

Rudderriffic

Juniors
How long does Brown persist with Elliot? Last weeks performance was atrocious, poor positioning at the back, lack of will to attack the ball on the full and that awful hook pass that he has brought out more than once. He looks every inch a winger playing fullback, and not a particularly good winger either. From memory, the worst of this occured before he was knocked out so that can't be used as an excuse.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Can we please give the captaincy to someone other than Hodkinson.....

I accept that we are stuck with him until his contract runs out, but can we at least reward one of the guys who gives a shit?

Gagai seems like a pretty clear choice at this point....

Glendale

Juniors
How long does Brown persist with Elliot? Last weeks performance was atrocious, poor positioning at the back, lack of will to attack the ball on the full and that awful hook pass that he has brought out more than once. He looks every inch a winger playing fullback, and not a particularly good winger either. From memory, the worst of this occured before he was knocked out so that can't be used as an excuse.

Yeah.

1. Pete
2. Sio
3. Gagai
4. Ross
5. Elliot

Would be the backline I would be going with for the rest of the season. I think a large reason Elliot is at the back is because Pete and Ross have formed quite a good combo on the left, and we know the fullback for 2017 is just gonna be a stopgap, so Brown wants to give Pete a good run at centre to see if he's worth re-signing in that position.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Unless we can get a better replacement for similar money I'd be alright with keeping Pete. Makes good metres and combines well with Ross, also makes good one on one contact with his defence. His positioning when defending our line is the big concern though. Will need to improve in that area imo.

perverse

Referee
Pete's had a good year so far. You need blokes like this is your squad - filler. He's admirable filler, a role player. It's a shame he's the second best Mata'utia and just "adequate", though.

Tupou in for Yates or Stone for me.
Brown was saying how last year we had players playing 20 games who should have only played 10 and some playing 10 games who should have played 1.
We need to rest these younger guys. Call on them week in and out and we will break them.
Let's see if Tupou can provide something for us.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Tupou in for Yates or Stone for me.
Brown was saying how last year we had players playing 20 games who should have only played 10 and some playing 10 games who should have played 1.
We need to rest these younger guys. Call on them week in and out and we will break them.
Let's see if Tupou can provide something for us.

I'm sure Brown will bring him in when he's ready. He would be a logical replacement for Stone and I would bring another old head onto the field, our bench is definitely lacking experience and we seem to lose our cool a bit when we take our starters off so hopefully Tupou can bring that.

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't think the buhrer shuffle works tbh, he needs to be playing 80 minutes on the edge.

Going to be better in a few weeks when kostjaysn is back to replace stone on the bench. Hopefully barnett can play longer minutes too so yates (or tupou) is only on for 20.