What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Warriors @ Go Media Stadium, Penrose / Aotearoa

Who will win? Round 4: Warriors v Newcastle

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
I’m thinking round 1 we were rusty, way too many dropped balls. After that loss O’brien said completions and simple footy wins games in the first month of the season. I think that’s how we have been training and playing, no risk footy and defence focussed. It’s keeping us in the contest but it’s not getting us wins.
And our attack in their 10m is crap.

Yeah I’m not sure what was worse: trying to play like the Harlem globetrotters in round 1 after an extended break of then going a complete 180 for the next few games despite it not suiting the side.

Woody90

Juniors
RTS was fantastic and great to see him back but I did laugh at one point at how nuts the commentators went after he stepped Croker after KP had already done 2-3 runs like that earlier in the game stepping like 6 blokes.

na na buddy don't backtrack. The ONLY KPI that ya little darling come out on top is RM - You're wrong - the end.

Ponga
Points - 4
LB - 2
LBA - 2
TA -1
Kick Mtrs - 237

RTS
Points - 0
LB - 0
LBA - 0
TA - 0
Kick Mtrs - 0

Ponga
RM - 169
TB - 7

RTS
RM - 283
TB -7
I often see people rely on stats too much in our great game. It's something to prove a point seeing better numbers etc. What stats fail to show are the things players do you cannot see and mark with a number. This can include things like the dirty work or the impact a player could provide on the pitch. Some players get disrespected unfairly due to stats such as handling errors etc. If a player gets more involved and does more good things in the game than their errors they still provide an enormous contribution to winning a game. For the Warriors that's Jackson Ford. He has errors in his game but his goods outweigh his bads. The impact he had in the Knights was immense but will get overlooked by the flashy backs.

I often see people rely on stats too much in our great game. It's something to prove a point seeing better numbers etc. What stats fail to show are the things players do you cannot see and mark with a number. This can include things like the dirty work or the impact a player could provide on the pitch. Some players get disrespected unfairly due to stats such as handling errors etc. If a player gets more involved and does more good things in the game than their errors they still provide an enormous contribution to winning a game. For the Warriors that's Jackson Ford. He has errors in his game but his goods outweigh his bads. The impact he had in the Knights was immense but will get overlooked by the flashy backs.
Your post claimed RTS was the winner based on stats - Now that you've been shown the stats "I often see people rely on stats too much in our great game." :rolleyes::)

Make up ya mind. Which one is it?

On stats KP wipes the floor with ya man. Twice the involvement, more contributions in attack, receipts, passing , kicking, and with less errors.

Clear winner.

Just because the commentators want to blow him under the table doesnt mean everyone else has to drink what's on offer.

Your post claimed RTS was the winner based on stats - Now that you've been shown the stats "I often see people rely on stats too much in our great game." :rolleyes::)

Make up ya mind. Which one is it?
I also said impact or are you just dismissing this part? Stats wise he out ran your boy on RM and impact.

You getting caught up in things and stats that didnt impact the game at all.

Oh I intend on doing you slowly - First up let's go stats.

Ya wrong.
That just sounds creepy man.

Don't be just a stat guy it doesn't do you any good. There are plodders that have high stats but they do FA for the team or end result. If you combine stats with impact/effort you will see the full picture and why some players have cult followings.

Just a few more stats that you mentioned previously that now backtrack on

Ponga

Tackle efficiency - 66.7% ( poor)

RTS

Tackle efficiency - 20% ( freaking horrendous )

He ran for more mtrs because he doesnt know how to pass the ball - hence a duck egg in any other considerable metric of the game.

Having a flashy moment is great, overall though ya man is a media darling that created a wonderful narrative. Return of the hero - well done.

Just a few more stats that you mentioned previously that now backtrack on

Ponga

Tackle efficiency - 66.7% ( poor)

RTS

Tackle efficiency - 20% ( freaking horrendous )

He ran for more mtrs because he doesnt know how to pass the ball - hence a duck egg in any other considerable metric of the game.

Having a flashy moment is great, overall though ya man is a media darling that created a wonderful narrative. Return of the hero - well done.

Whoa man have a Snickers lol

KP is class.
RTS is class.

The anonymous Judges are shit.

/ Thread

Rod

Bench
Haven't read the thread yet but I don't have a big issue with that points distribution. Ponga was the best player on the field IMO but it was one of those games where you could have given points to 6-8 blokes who all had a couple of nice moments.

Just finished the full game and honestly before watching I expected worse. Another day and that result could have been different or we would have at least had 1 or 2 more tries. Frizzell in particular got bad bounces at least twice near the try line, and Lucas for all his promise probably bombed at least 1 try if not 2.

As others have no doubt said, we lost it in the middle and the halves. Once again too much reliance on Ponga to make something happen out of nothing, and the kicking game was so bad to the point where Ponga was doing most of the long kicking.

But there is enough there in terms of effort and resilience on defence that I think there's a good team in there somewhere.