What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Sydney @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 6: Newcastle v Sydney

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
That was really frustrating.

They knew the Roosters would ambush given the criticism in the week.

They knew they’d get killed by the ref after Karen’s comments.

That stuff isn’t in their control but not backing up at the end there was. Our support play has been shit house all year. I hope they made it a focus now it’s cost them.

We didn’t deserve to win that even if we had have nabbed it at the end. The defence on the try the Cheese scored was deplorable.

Way too early to say season over but need to improve a lot to do anything.

I'm just not seeing development from Best. Maybe slight improvements in one-on-one defence but not a lot else. He's very one dimensional and hard to bring into a game with poor halves like ours.

Joel-22

Juniors
I never say this, and I haven’t read any of the comments here yet, but great display of refereeing - you absolutely f**ked us. Phoenix, Best, KPP and of course our beloved KP… showed enthusiasm. Best made 252 metres tonight. This season is warming up to be his best

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Honestly, emotion aside, that was an exciting game of footy. I don’t think we played badly, but that injury to KP really killed our momentum. It’s like we went into our shells for 20 mins and let the Roosters dominate us. The second half was an arm wrestle but we just weren’t able to break the deadlock. Although KP did his absolute best to make it happen. Crazy that when he’s half-crippled he’s still out best player.

That last play was mega frustrating. Why was no-one running through for a pass? Literally the game was on the line and there was just no match awareness whatsoever.

Sometimes I wonder if we have an inferiority complex against clubs like the Roosters, we always seem to struggle to put them away. Even with the injuries they have, it was basically a repeat of the game against them last year. Another one like the Cowboys game that we will regret at the end of the year.

Woody90

Juniors
I'm just not seeing development from Best. Maybe slight improvements in one-on-one defence but not a lot else. He's very one dimensional and hard to bring into a game with poor halves like ours.

After a few years of stagnation with injury I feel he really development a lot last year in terms of his pass selection and defence. He’s been very quiet this year but also difficult when the halves haven’t been great at getting the backs into good positions. Marzhews been disappointing too but limited games.

I never say this, and I haven’t read any of the comments here yet, but great display of refereeing - you absolutely f**ked us. Phoenix, Best, KPP and of course our beloved KP… showed enthusiasm. Best made 252 metres tonight. This season is warming up to be his best
Who's best? Best? The guy is painful to watch imo. So much potential but struggles with fundamentals. Passing, positional play, support play...frustrating.

After a few years of stagnation with injury I feel he really development a lot last year in terms of his pass selection and defence. He’s been very quiet this year but also difficult when the halves haven’t been great at getting the backs into good positions. Marzhews been disappointing too but limited games.
This has merit. Acknowledged, our halves suck but I'd love to see him try to use some footwork and focus on support play. Sometimes you just have to get yourself into the game if your halves won't do it. Gagai has no problems with it.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Disappointing loss. Ponga hip in the first half hurt us a lot, hopefully he is ok.
Seemed impossible to get us a 6 again or penalty for holding the ruck down. Can’t believe there wasn’t one after Ponga’s final break at the end.
Kind of like last year in that we are close in games but small effort plays are letting us down.
Need to fix up those areas before the season is gone.

Apey

Staff member
Him and Hastings cost us the win in the last 20 seconds.. both having a sleep.. wake the fk up it’s top level football
tbh I think half the team cost us a win in those last few plays. Just brainless panic stations.

He made 252 metres tonight. He’s been given no decent ball this year except for tonight and he scored. If you think Best is our problem, I can only invite you to rewatch our games this year and pay attention to the ball that he gets
I didn't say he was our problem but he has problems. Meters gained don't mean much if his runs are one-out grunt work and relatively ineffective. Also, the guy just struggles with being in the right place at the right time.

Granted our halves do suck a$$ but it doesn't stop Gagai from ripping the opposition apart.

Bartwah

Juniors
Apologies if it’s already been mentioned ( don’t feel like going back through 14 pages of talking about how rubbish we are etc etc) but have we mentioned the Saifiti’s at all? They are woeful this year. If we had 3 x Leo Thompsons running around, the halves would get a lot more quicker/cleaner ball, which would flow to the edge guys. No excuse for Cogger’s turnstile defence though

Haffa

Apologies if it’s already been mentioned ( don’t feel like going back through 14 pages of talking about how rubbish we are etc etc) but have we mentioned the Saifiti’s at all? They are woeful this year. If we had 3 x Leo Thompsons running around, the halves would get a lot more quicker/cleaner ball, which would flow to the edge guys. No excuse for Cogger’s turnstile defence though
I think we’ve all moved past having high expectations of them.

Woody90

Juniors
This has merit. Acknowledged, our halves suck but I'd love to see him try to use some footwork and focus on support play. Sometimes you just have to get yourself into the game if your halves won't do it. Gagai has no problems with it.

Best really is the least of our problems IMO. Can’t really compare him and Gagai when they’re 2 very different type of centres. Gagai has natural footwork but Best is all power.

He’s playing next to a new back rower so that edge combination is still rusty and the halves can’t get him 1:1 with anyone and that’s where his strengths are.

Old dog

Juniors
Was a tense hard fought game, we kicked poorly, bombs were too deep for our chasers and allowed Manu to run far too many meters before reaching our defence, yes he played well but we fed him good ball that allowed him time to catch, run, step each time.
Pongas injury didn’t help but he was good after treatment. Marzhew was ordinary, put him back on left, Best and Gagai were good, tried hard as did Tuala. Cogger was ordinary while Hastings was good except for kicking. Pack, JSaf and KPP were pick, Lucas tried hard and Elliott had moments, Leo was down a bit, Brailey went ok. Bench, Croker was best but only ok, DSaf was disappointing, needs changes, consider bringing Cartwright, Sua and Jones in. Gamble for Cogger
Disappointing but not all lost but need a run of wins

Yosh

Coach
I personally thought Best was outstanding. That try he scored was gold. Best is excellent defensively as well.

KPP is going to be a special weapon for us. Wow just wow.

Apey

Staff member
Was a tense hard fought game, we kicked poorly, bombs were too deep for our chasers and allowed Manu to run far too many meters before reaching our defence, yes he played well but we fed him good ball that allowed him time to catch, run, step each time.
Pongas injury didn’t help but he was good after treatment. Marzhew was ordinary, put him back on left, Best and Gagai were good, tried hard as did Tuala. Cogger was ordinary while Hastings was good except for kicking. Pack, JSaf and KPP were pick, Lucas tried hard and Elliott had moments, Leo was down a bit, Brailey went ok. Bench, Croker was best but only ok, DSaf was disappointing, needs changes, consider bringing Cartwright, Sua and Jones in. Gamble for Cogger
Disappointing but not all lost but need a run of wins
Yeah I thought our kicking was average across the board. Actually between both sets of halves that might have been the worst kicking performance I've seen all year.

How predictable we lose to an understrength Roosters by 2 points again though.