What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Brisbane @ Campbelltown Sports Stadium, Leumeah / Dharawal

Who will win? Round 8: Wests Tigers v Brisbane

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Brisbane Broncos 1-12

• Brisbane Broncos 13+

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 8
Wests Tigers v Brisbane Broncos
Campbelltown Sports Stadium, Leumeah / Dharawal (TICKETS)

Saturday 27 April 2024
NRL kickoff 5:30pm.

Broadcast live on Fox, Kayo.

WESTSTIGERS2024.png

1. Jahream Bula 2. Charlie Staines 3. Brent Naden 4. Justin Olam 5. Solomon Alaimalo 6. Lachlan Galvin 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. Samuela Fainu 13. John Bateman 14. Latu Fainu 15. Alex Twal 16. Alex Seyfarth 17. Fonua Pole 18. Justin Matamua 19. Alexander Lobb 20. Asu Kepaoa 21. Jake Simpkin 22. Tallyn Da Silva

Out: Junior Tupou (wing)
In: Solomon Alaimalo (wing), Justin Matamua (bench), Alexander Lobb (bench), Asu Kepaoa (reserve), Jake Simpkin (reserve), Tallyn Da Silva (reserve)
Changes: John Bateman (second row to lock), Fonua Pole (lock to bench), Samuela Fainu (bench to second row)

BRISBANE2024.png

1. Reece Walsh 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Jesse Arthars 5. Deine Mariner 6. Jock Madden 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Corey Jensen 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Brendan Piakura 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan 14. Tyson Smoothy 15. Xavier Willison 16. Kobe Hetherington 17. Fletcher Baker 18. Tristan Sailor 19. Jaiyden Hunt 20. Martin Taupau 21. Jordan Pereira 22. Benjamin Te Kura

Out: Selwyn Cobbo (centre), Ezra Mam (five-eighth)
In: Deine Mariner (wing), Adam Reynolds (halfback), Payne Haas (front row), Brendan Piakura (second row), Martin Taupau (reserve), Jordan Pereira (reserve), Benjamin Te Kura (reserve)
Changes: Jesse Arthars (wing to centre), Jock Madden (halfback to five-eighth), Fletcher Baker (front row to bench), Jaiyden Hunt (second row to bench)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Grant Atkins
Sideline Officials: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Clayton Wills
Video Referee: Peter Gough

Match facts

HEAD TO HEAD - 2000 - 2023​

TOTALWESTS TIGERSBRISBANEDRAWN
ALL MATCHES329221
CAMPBELLTOWN7070

LAST FIVE MEETINGS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2019Round 5WESTS TIGERS 22-16Suncorp24398
2020Round 10WESTS TIGERS 48-0Leichhardt2633
2021Round 18WESTS TIGERS 42-24Suncorp24894
2022Round 20WESTS TIGERS 32-18Suncorp32909
2023Round 5BRISBANE 46-12Suncorp27553

BIGGEST WINS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2000Round 20BRISBANE 56-12QEII19953
2020Round 10WESTS TIGERS 48-0Leichhardt2633

NEXT FOUR MATCHES​

Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12
WESTS TIGERSCANTERBURY (A)NEWCASTLE (H)DOLPHINS (H)NORTH QLD (A)
BRISBANESYDNEY (H)PARRAMATTA (A)MANLY (A)GOLD COAST (H)

LAST THREE MATCHES​

Round 5Round 6Round 7
WESTS TIGERSDOLPHINSL 16-26ST GEORGE ILLAWARRAL 12-24PENRITHL 6-22
BRISBANEMELBOURNEL 32-34DOLPHINSW 28-14CANBERRAW 34-10

Last edited:

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
1. Jahream Bula 2. Charlie Staines 3. Brent Naden 4. Justin Olam 5. Solomon Alaimalo 6. Lachlan Galvin 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. Samuela Fainu 13. John Bateman 14. Latu Fainu 15. Alex Twal 16. Alex Seyfarth 17. Fonua Pole 18. Justin Matamua 19. Alexander Lobb 20. Asu Kepaoa 21. Jake Simpkin 22. Tallyn Da Silva

Injury & suspension ward (Tue 9am): Star To'a (R9); Adam Doueihi (R17); Junior Tupou (TBC)

Changes:
Out: Junior Tupou (wing)
In: Solomon Alaimalo (wing), Justin Matamua (bench), Alexander Lobb (bench), Asu Kepaoa (reserve), Jake Simpkin (reserve), Tallyn Da Silva (reserve)
Changes: John Bateman (second row to lock), Fonua Pole (lock to bench), Samuela Fainu (bench to second row)

Tigerm

First Grade
Solomon Alaimalo got the wing spot and making his debut, well done.
Sa Fainu starting, well deserved.
Probably the best side we can produce, Alaimolo is interesting, hopefully he goes well. But the Bronc's are running hot, going to be a big test.
I have to back us, but not confident. Us by 4, with Api MoM.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I'd prefer Lobb over Alaimalo because Solomon has been carrying a leg injury since his first game in KOE.
The only thing I can think of is the left wing preference [Lobb right, Solomon left]
Solomon has been in the right place to score some recent tries so he has the ability but can he stretch out? Walsh and co will test him for sure.
He is pretty good under the high ball and can defend well 1 on 1 but has he learnt enough of the 13 man code, that's another big question?
My mate from NZ Rugby has big wraps on the guy as an open field runner. Go well mate.
1713865604053.png

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Mamm and Cobbo out for the broncos according to NRL 360. Reynolds back. I think it’s a good move to start S Fainu. Pole hasn’t had the same impact as he usually does the last couple of weeks. Hopefully he’ll be good coming on when there’s a bit of fatigue around

Nutz

Bench
Mamm and Cobbo out for the broncos according to NRL 360. Reynolds back. I think it’s a good move to start S Fainu. Pole hasn’t had the same impact as he usually does the last couple of weeks. Hopefully he’ll be good coming on when there’s a bit of fatigue around
They're good exclusions for us.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
When they send in Jock and Walters, it’s getting to be an insult.
Their form raises interesting questions about the Tigers. Both were pretty ordinary while
Playing for the tigers, while they both had their occasional moment they were no where near as consistent as they appear to be now, Walters especially far exceeded the ability he showed at the Tigers.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Haven’t been that impressed with Alaimolo is NSW cup, then again both Tupou and Bula played better in first grade then they ever did in NSW cup so hopefully he’s the same.

Saw Bateman at lock last year and wasn’t impressed, I have no idea why we don’t just play Matamua since Benji obviously wants a guy with a passing game at 13.

Sam Fainu certainly deserves a start and as others said Pole is best from the bench. He and Galvin have already formed a good combo on the left.

Brisbane are a bad match for us, I expect Walsh to run riot. Mam out is big for us, possibly a bigger out for Brisbane then Reynolds. We’ll do well to get within 12.

Tigerm

First Grade
Haven’t been that impressed with Alaimolo is NSW cup, then again both Tupou and Bula played better in first grade then they ever did in NSW cup so hopefully he’s the same.

Saw Bateman at lock last year and wasn’t impressed, I have no idea why we don’t just play Matamua since Benji obviously wants a guy with a passing game at 13.

Sam Fainu certainly deserves a start and as others said Pole is best from the bench. He and Galvin have already formed a good combo on the left.

Brisbane are a bad match for us, I expect Walsh to run riot. Mam out is big for us, possibly a bigger out for Brisbane then Reynolds. We’ll do well to get within 12.
Come on Vic, show your stripes hahaha

Tigerm

First Grade
Their form raises interesting questions about the Tigers. Both were pretty ordinary while
Playing for the tigers, while they both had their occasional moment they were no where near as consistent as they appear to be now, Walters especially far exceeded the ability he showed at the Tigers.
I think the quality of the players around them helps.
That’s not something that we have had.

Brisbane have lost a fair bit of pace with Cobbo and Mam out but still have plenty left. I think this is where they'll get us. Make a half break or quick play the ball and run riot off that while we're still trying to get our defence reorganised.

I'm just hoping that we put in for 80 minutes again like we did for last week. The scoreline is irrelevant at this stage, just the effort, particularly in defence.

Hopefully Solomon goes well on debut. He's not to bad under the high from the limited stuff I've seen of him in reggies. Also keen to see how Bateman goes at 13 and how he's used. As Vic pointed out it didn't really work out last year but let's see how Benji decides to use him. He does have ball skills.

Pezz70

Juniors
Brisbane have lost a fair bit of pace with Cobbo and Mam out but still have plenty left. I think this is where they'll get us. Make a half break or quick play the ball and run riot off that while we're still trying to get our defence reorganised.

I'm just hoping that we put in for 80 minutes again like we did for last week. The scoreline is irrelevant at this stage, just the effort, particularly in defence.

Hopefully Solomon goes well on debut. He's not to bad under the high from the limited stuff I've seen of him in reggies. Also keen to see how Bateman goes at 13 and how he's used. As Vic pointed out it didn't really work out last year but let's see how Benji decides to use him. He does have ball skills.
I think Bateman is a proper 13.

The interesting player this weekend for me is Sam Fainu, big body, deceptive speed and constantly getting his top half free in the tackle, he could be a revelation on the edge. We need Bula and Olam to stick to him every hit up in attack on the left side. There’s gonna be points there if he is well supported.

Containing Walsh will be the key for us, he has carved us up everytime we’ve played him.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Looks like it might be another sell out at Campbelltown this week. General
Allocation is already exhausted. Only single seats in premium reserved seating, some reserved seats and some GA tickets in the alcohol free zone available. Boys need to aim up and give the fans their moneys worth. Pretty good result for a team not winning games to sell out a game against an interstate team. Fans can feel the change in the air

Tiger Ted

Bench
I think Bateman is a proper 13.

The interesting player this weekend for me is Sam Fainu, big body, deceptive speed and constantly getting his top half free in the tackle, he could be a revelation on the edge. We need Bula and Olam to stick to him every hit up in attack on the left side. There’s gonna be points there if he is well supported.

Containing Walsh will be the key for us, he has carved us up everytime we’ve played him.
Samuela is certainly going to b one heck of a player & hopefully his kid brother Latu overcomes the soft tissue issues he’s experiencing so we can see the best of him coz by all accounts he’s a talent.Ive never seen the other brother Sione who is a forward play & wondering if anyone knows anything about him ?

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Samuela is certainly going to b one heck of a player & hopefully his kid brother Latu overcomes the soft tissue issues he’s experiencing so we can see the best of him coz by all accounts he’s a talent.Ive never seen the other brother Sione who is a forward play & wondering if anyone knows anything about him ?
Sione is depth at best. Not the worst player but definitely not as good as his brothers …
I feel like the 3 brothers came as a package deal however I have no problem with that if it meant getting Samuela and Latu

Latu with his knee issues is still better than Dud Sullivan