What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Gidley departs

Zoidberg

First Grade
Got an email from the club announcing Gidley is stepping down.

Matt Gidley announces Club departure
nib Newcastle Knights Chief Executive Officer Matt Gidley will stand down from his position, effective November 1.

Gidley began his commercial tenure with the Club in 2010 as Business Development Manager, before commencing as CEO in 2011.

With the Club transitioning to ownership under The Wests Group, Gidley believes the time is right to step down from his position.

“I am very confident the foundations have now been established to deliver the Club and the team you all fully deserve,” Gidley said.

I think he has learnt a lot over his time as CEO, he always had great intention for the club but didn't have the right people in his ear.
Best of luck for your future Gids.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Probably a good time for him to leave. He will be leaving on fairly good terms with the club on the up. It is probably the perfect time right now to bring in some fresh blood and I am sure wests will find a very suitable person to fill the job.

PhilGould

Bench
Was thrown into a job he wasn't qualified for and struggled at first. Think he's been pretty solid over the last 2 or 3 years though.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I dont think we will be short on candidates applying for this. Club on the rise, funding secured, just needs good leadership in the front office. Best for the club to have this change now.

Wests chief executive Phil Gardner will replace Matt Gidley as Newcastle Knights CEO

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4943258/gardner-to-replace-gidley-as-knights-ceo/?cs=306
New tactic. Poker machines and a bar in the opposition dressing shed.
I hope this guy doesn't change the direction we are taking but, instead enhances it.
Gidley has had his ups and downs. Has possibly done more in the background of late. A tendency to back whatever is going on at the time.
Good luck to him.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
He will only advance it. In the article he acknowledges that we need a football orientated board to oversee the knights.

Looks like he still wants to keep matt gidley as well, so they must have a good relationship, also wants kurt gidley. Not sure what kurt could offer us though. Kids was with us all throughout the jobs for the boys era.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I said this in another thread, but still my sentiment

----------------

Its impossible to know exactly how effective he has been as CEO...

We have had some terrible year and some great years since he arrived, yet mostly we are noticing on-field performance and club culture with is the coaches responsibility. The reality is that, in a football team, the good and bad that the CEO does is never noticed and they are praised or blamed for things that they likely had little to do with.

In my mind, Midley will always be coloured as the guy who stepped in to be public face for Tinklers while others made the decisions and he was accidentally left with actual power when Tinks went belly-up (its probably totally wrong, but in the last 6 years, its an image that i just cannot shake).

My gut says that its time for change, and im expecting Wests to say the same. Midley would be good value on the Board, im sure, but we should probably be looking for someone new to step in as CEO.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Pedge1971

First Grade
That announcement seems troubling to me. Gardner has just doubled his job indefinitely. Sounds like a cop out......

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
He hasn't really doubled his job. No different to any company taking over another company. Yeah he's the boss but the workload is obviously going to be shared amongst his executives. I don't see any issues at all.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That announcement seems troubling to me. Gardner has just doubled his job indefinitely. Sounds like a cop out......

Not really. As i said in a previous post, he is probably just taking on the title an delegating the job to a manager...

Calling it "indefinite" means they can take their tine with a search, and taking the title rather than giving it to our CFO or something means they dont accidentally favour this person in the search.

It actually seems like the best move...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im wonderinng if Mooney might be the guy ti give the CEO gig to...

He has cred at the club and is a proven manager, it is just about stepping up to managing the whole club. But all CEOs start somewhere lower down

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I’d like Mooney to hang around the club for a long time. Do whatever it takes to secure his services. Dont think he would become our CEO though.