What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matty Moylan loses captaincy

davi

Juniors
Did Anthony Griffin overreact? Griffin strips Matty Moylan of the captaincy.

Panthers captain Matt Moylan, Peta Hiku and Waqa Blake dropped for ‘team protocol breach’

PANTHERS officials have backed coach Anthony Griffin’s tough call to dump skipper Matt Moylan and two other players to reserve grade for breaching a booze curfew.

Penrith’s preparations for Friday night’s clash against South Sydney were thrown into disarray when Waqa Blake and Peta Hiku were flicked to the NSW Cup because of a late night out in Melbourne.

Tyrone Peachey will also spend time on the sidelines with a rib injury, while Bryce Cartwright remains out of action with an ankle problem.

The Daily Telegraph understands the players returned to the Pullman Hotel at Albert Park following their 28-6 loss to the Storm on Saturday night, and enjoyed dinner and a few beers around 10.30pm.

Griffin has encouraged players to enjoy a beer in the sheds after a game to build camaraderie, with debutants even expected to skoll a drink after their debut.

But mindful of the six-day turnaround against Souths, Griffin did not want his players kicking on in Melbourne, only for Moylan, Hiku and Blake to have other ideas.

The trio were not involved in any altercations, but were out into the early hours.

Peter Wallace, the man initially expected to be anointed skipper before Moylan was promoted last year, will now captain the Panthers with Dylan Edwards named in Moylan’s No. 1 jersey.

The trio all trained at Pepper Stadium on Tuesday and appeared in good spirits.

“We’re 100 per cent behind the coach on this,’’ Panthers boss Brian Fletcher told The Daily Telegraph last night.

“They broke the club rules and you have to abide by them.

“Naturally we’re disappointed the skipper is involved, but they’re young boys, and they’ll learn from this and become better people.

“Someone else gets an opportunity now.

“It didn’t matter we’ve got a home game coming up. It also shows there is no favouritism here.’’

Griffin has never been shy to make tough calls, and swung the selection axe on Peachey last year after he was late for a recovery. Peachey returned to finish the season in career-best form and burst out of the blocks this year before busting a rib during the Storm game.

As the Panthers try to focus on their Pepper Stadium showdown, Souths coach Michael Maguire said he was confident Robbie Farah would overcome back spasms and play."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h/news-story/1391986c013ff978eed668f520bffdc2

TheFrog

Coach
Moylan hasn't lost the captaincy. He has been dropped to reserve grade. He will still be captain next week.

some11

Referee
Not the first time Hook has put players on notice like this, even if it means they lose a game it's for the best.

Starturn

Juniors
Penrith players are all ferals.

Problably out prowling on the town taking advantage of no lock out laws, impregnating half of Melbourne - Cartwright style.

Cleary should go the responsible thing as a father and get his son over to the Tigers before he goes feral too.

mxlegend99

Referee
The players were punished for breaking club policy. They are being dropped for a week just as Tyrone Peachey was last year. Hopefully giving them a wake up call.

They broke no laws. Just the rules set by Panthers.

This is a good thing by the Panthers. If they let players break the rules without punishment it sets a bad example. Players will not respect the rules and next time it could be much worse than just drinking until late at night.

soc123_au

Staff member
I wonder how long a feral like J Roberts would last at Penrith....

Too late.

OVP

Coach
You hear that you young kids out there ? You're here on Planet Earth. There is no fun allowed here. You're HERE TO WORK.

Timbo

Staff member
I have real problems with club rules like these.

If my employer suddenly busted out a breathalyser because they wanted me to work at 100% efficiency and few drinks the night before cuts down on that, I think I could argue a serious breach of civil liberties.

The club doesn't own everything they do.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Or is this Gus strategically clearing the decks to fit in Cronk?