What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mauraders vs Forum Sevens All-Stars Approach

badge_marauders_0.gif
f7.jpg

Hey one, hey all. It's not far until the 2010 Forum Sevens season kicks off, but before then we could go to the idea of having an All-Stars match. Here is my proposal, so hoping for feedback from your brilliant minds.

Pistol has shown interest in looking at a Ryder Cup-type game where each individual performance is crucial to the team winning the Cup. This match would bring together the Marauders and the F7's All Stars. For those who don't know, the Ryder Cup is a bi-annual golf competition between Europe and America.

The Marauders
Starting to become a traditional team in the pre-season, it has been lead by Pistol in two matches. The Mauraders already have a squad containing stars such as Willow, Skinner, LeagueNut and Cheesie-The-Pirate. It will be up to these players whether they stay with the Marauders or make themselves available for the F7's All Stars. The captain has always been Pistol, it will be up to whomever to see if this will continue.

The Forum Sevens All Stars
The All Stars side will be a brand new side coming into this. Like the NRL All Stars, each club will be represented in this side. The choice for captaincy will be decided by a poll (after choosing nominees). It is up to the captain to pick players.

Referee
Since Pistol will be involved, I guess the referee just chooses itself...

Squads
I know it's a bit of work, but to ensure the All Stars are represented by the entire community each squad will need to have nine players. If we want to work out an interchange thing or not, I guess is to be talked about.

The Match
The Ryder Cup consists of singles and doubles. The doubles could get complicated and take us away from the idea of the competition. So essentially, each captain will give their squad members a number between one and nine. The referee will receive the numbers and publicly announce the match-ups. There will be nine one-on-one match ups. Whichever team scores the most points (1 for a win, 1/2 for a draw) is the winner.

Articles
Since there are possibly eighteen, maybe they need to be shortened, to assist the referee.

What do people think?

Last edited:
i really like this idea! i would been to play haha!

would there be a voting system, where you cant vote for yourself but select like 4 from each team, then out of the top picks, people throw together their sides?

would that work?

my idea is:
Mauraders are a team of players with 3 or more years experiance! we get a list of eligible players/refs/people who want to come back and in private a vote is cast for the players in order of who you would like to see play out of each club. With 1 being the hightest points, and the amount of players being the lowest, the person with the lowest amount of points automatically is selected and placed as captain of the Mauraders (if two players have the same score, there will be another vote cast for the captain) ! then the points will be tallied and another group is selected where the captain posts his preferable team, and we go for another round of voting.

same system in place for all stars who will be younger players and older players who did not qualify for the Mauruders!

the game should be 6 players, and 4 subs! (if possible)

the game is a normal 6 v 6, however the subs both will compete as well. the bench will have bench person 1 v 1, and 2 v 2 etc. then those two scores are added together and placed onto the final score! this way it should cover each team and captain, and each team must have one rep!

i dont know if it makes sense but i gave it a shot

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Great idea.

I'd like to play for both sides. ;-)

Has to be 7v7. No reserves. Make it tough.

Perhaps the All Stars could be the F7s Team of the Year.
v
Marauders as always should be open to all comers. Refs, officials, any player, ring-ins. No rules as who can play for the Marauders.

bartman

Immortal
Very well thought out plan for the original idea.

I prefer W's suggestion of the Team of the Year as the All Stars, because I think forcing one player from each existing F7s side to play a pre-season match is going to be a problem for some.

This would also keep a good use of the two benchies. I mean, the top seven have to be All Stars.

So what about the Marauders?

Pistol

Coach
well in the Ryder cup the captains are non playing

we may be able to keep that going

but i am open to suggestions

The Marauders have in the past been an amalgamation of refs and all stars.

Its an invitational side. By the past two seasons, I have had the honour of skippering and selecting that group

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
why not have the all stars as the team of the year as per the forum 7's awards.

and the marauders can be a selection of refs and players not selected in the team of the year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
why not have the all stars as the team of the year as per the forum 7's awards.

and the marauders can be a selection of refs and players not selected in the team of the year.

Is it just me or do we have some sort of consensus here? ;-)

Just to put it in this thread:

F7's ALL STARS (bench in italics)
Willow (c)
Titanic
Madunit
Jesbass
Miccle
LeagueNut
Tits&Tans

Pistol ; I think it would be better for captains to play, the question could be whether they must play each other or go random just like everybody else.

What do people think of the idea of giving the captain the choice of giving each team-mate a number from one to seven, given to the match referee and that's how the draw is found (1 vs 1, 5 vs 5 etc)?

Jesbass

First Grade
Personally, if this is to be the spectacle of the new F7s - the best versus the best - then the best referee has to front up. And, with all due respect to the other fantastic whistle blowers in our competition, that honour doe (in my opinion) have to lie at the feet of Misseur antonius.