What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe no mid year test next year

Stevo_G

Juniors
Brisbane seems destined to go a fifth straight year without a Test with next year's proposed Anzac clash likely to be knocked on the head.

Daniel Anderson has advised the NZRFL to reject Australian approaches for the Test, leaving all internationals until after the NRL season.

QRL managing director Ross Livermore said he hoped the Test would still go ahead with Friday night, April 23, the preferred date.

hope it happens we have waited so long for a test match up here

In-goal

Bench
If they Want to play a test during the season it must be played before SOO, at this early stage it's also possible for the kiwi's to call upon the wealth of talent involved with the Super League.

In-goal

Bench
I would like to see the 3 test series with NZ brought back at some stage in the future as they were a great promotion for our game.

dimitri

First Grade
i agree

the 3 test series' were excellent

however i dont agree in the stupid system we have now where the series is played across the whole year

In-goal

Bench
it should be played over 3 consecutive weeks, 2 tests isn't a real series unless one nation wins 2 zip.

dimitri

First Grade
exactly

3 friday nights in a row

tests can alternate each year

brisbane
sydney
canberra
melbourne
perth
adelaide
wellington
auckland
christchurch

Stevo_G

Juniors
definately need a three match series played before state of origin, maybe play 2 matches before and if they need a third play after grand final

In-goal

Bench
I surpose the biggest problem is the Warriors a feilding a good portion of the Kiwis, this is another reason why there must be 2 sides across the ditch. The player drain on the Warriors at test time is unfair on the club much the same as the SOO burden is to the Broncos.

In-goal

Bench
Well i'm not sure were a second NZ team should come from, i mean who is to say that Auckland culdn't field a second side?

That North Habour looked more than NRL standard to me.

The Observer

Staff member
Stevo_G said:
Brisbane seems destined to go a fifth straight year without a Test with next year's proposed Anzac clash likely to be knocked on the head.

Daniel Anderson has advised the NZRFL to reject Australian approaches for the Test, leaving all internationals until after the NRL season.

QRL managing director Ross Livermore said he hoped the Test would still go ahead with Friday night, April 23, the preferred date.

hope it happens we have waited so long for a test match up here

Anderson has got this one wrong. July tests are silly; an ANZAC Day test would be great.

Bengal

Juniors
A plan was wrote at the beginning of this year that dealt with mid-season tests.
Basically it covered the issues of the time which included:

Taking the game to the country (via a mid-season knock-out cup)

Playing two mid-season Tri-nation games

Addressing the issues of player burnout among the games rep players.

To combat the fact that Australia will come off a State of Origin series GB and NZ would play each other (in NZ) during the same week as the third State of Origin.

GB will back up a week later against Australia, which would then take care of their obligations downunder.

In-goal

Bench
the Problem is the Super League clubs wont want to release there players for that sort of period.

Bengal

Juniors
In-goal said:
the Problem is the Super League clubs wont want to release there players for that sort of period.

Yeah that was the problem that was mentioned the last time.

To which I say:

There will come a time when International League will take precedence over club league.

In the meantime I'm working on an idea that may help alleviate that problem based on compensating clubs for the loss of their players while on rep engagements.

Compensation will be more along the lines of allowing teams to provide cover for the loss of their stars, rather than it being a case of compensating teams because they could not get full value out of their gun players.

When all is said and done all barriers to International League need to be identified and solutions to these barriers need to be found.

From what I see the two biggest barriers to Rep games are teams losing players and the players themselves suffering from burnout.
The later has become blatantly obvious when you look at the current Kangaroo team.

By compensating clubs in some shape or form and by standing down rep players from club matches we've just taking care of these twin evils.

Stockpiling talent is a possible problem to be worked on. Clever marketing should take care of the problem of the absence of a lot of the games stars during the rep season.

Latest posts