What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media calls for Pacific Cup Series

T-Boon

Coach
No it would devalue SOO

I agree. Not worth the risk at this point.
However if for some reason SOO ever loses its appeal it is good to know that this is an option because I think it would be super cool fall back option.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
With both Fiji and Tonga knocking off the Kiwis, i think we can be pretty certain a Pacific Cup would be a cracker...

Id like to see a calendar along the lines of:

y1: RLWC
y2: 9s + Tour/Ashes
y3: Pacific Cup + European (and Lebanon) Cup
y4: 9s + Tour/Ashes
y5 +:RLWC

Give the Tier 2 nations a decent run at least every second year (not to mention the mid-year exhibitions.)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No it would devalue SOO

It was one of the issues during the SL Tri-Series

I also think that Australias arepretty happy following the non-Aussie sides...

For me, its not a problem that the Pacific nation teams are mostly heritage players as it just shows RL as a multi-cultural game (and its damn near impossible for nations of below 100k to field a competitive team). And, like fans not following their local NRL club, i think fans will find a reason to back teams other than the Roos (their own heritage, an holiday destination, love of the local culture, favorite players).

Only having one Aussie team is fine. Fans can easily jump on another bandwagon. The Roos are the giants that everyone wants to bring down; like ManU or Real Madrid, having one team always winning isnt necesarily bad.

Last edited:

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors
I also think that Australias arepretty happy following the non-Aussie sides...

For me, its not a problem that the Pacific nation teams are mostly heritage players as it just shows RL as a multi-cultural game (and its damn near impossible for nations of below 100k to field a competitive team). And, like fans not following their local NRL club, i think fans will find a reason to back teams other than the Roos (their own heritage, an holiday destination, love of the local culture, favorite players).

Only having one Aussie team is fine. Fans can easily jump on another bandwagon. The Roos are the giants that everyone wants to bring down; like ManU or Real Madrid, having one team always winning isnt necesarily bad.

Well we found out the hard way. Man those Kangaroos are scary good. So thats what its like when you face Qld fk even though Toa got pumped i want more of it. Geez they are stars at least we know where we stand, we definitely need a great team to even play them because Qld Kangaroos are giants of the game.