What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne keep Inglis

Surandy

Bench
He won't have to fight too hard, he just needs to wait until the SoO matches. Billy will get picked for Qld and Inglis will get a run, either at full back or on the wing with Steve Turner moving into the full back position.

8) 8) 8)

LESStar58

Referee
Surandy said:
He won't have to fight too hard, he just needs to wait until the SoO matches. Billy will get picked for Qld and Inglis will get a run, either at full back or on the wing with Steve Turner moving into the full back position.

8) 8) 8)

With a number of positional changes and retirement (i.e. Matt Sing retired from rep football when he got home from the Tri-nation...his daghter was born while he was away and he decided then and there to give away rep footy) you can't expect Billy Slater to be picked for Queensland automatically...the wing will be closely fought this year as Ty Williams (Cowboys) has been in excellent form, and Brent Tate has moved to the wing for the Broncos or they might even move justin Hodges there and the centres are pretty much sorted (Wille Tonga and Paul Bowman) even though I think Steve Bell is long overdue for a taste of rep football. As much as i would like to see Billy wear the Maroons Number 1 shirt I think he'll have a hard time giving Mat Bowen a run for his money...i think Bowen shold be the custodian but its more than likely he'll fit the role of supersub.

LESStar58

Referee
UndertakerMike said:
On current form Slater is a shoo in to rep QLD again this year :D

Current form? The season hasn't even started yet and last year he could barely run cos of his groin....

LESStar58

Referee
well, towards the end of last season anyway...remember he had surgery and has only just started training full time again...

LESStar58

Referee
Is this going to be Matt Geyer's last season. I'm yet to see Ingliss play but the best option may be for him to play wing or centre when geyer retires or if he is injured this year. So the backline would be:

1. Slater/Tuner
2. Turner/Ingliss
3. Bell
4. King/Ingliss
5. Ingliss/King

There are so many options there and with Cooper Cronk capable of playing in the backline as well there is defiently some depth!

Well, the guy who could barely run did make several 40-50 meter linebreaks last season. At least 3 during the Dragons away game ;-)

MONY

Juniors
maybe the injury to steve turner isnt all that bad as we could move king back to the wing and bring in inglis. that would be the smartest move

Genghis Chan

Juniors
I'd rather King stay in the centres. BUt perhaps they could interchange throughout the game if he gets a starting spot.

Earl

Coach
Agreed LR, Having King and Inglis on the same side would be lethal, and regardless of where they are named, they could interchange between centre and wing.

I know it's a 10 month old thread (hell, it's my own thread) but I was curious. Damn, that link on top's no good anymore :(

I just read this article and it confuses the hell out of me.

Storm spend $1.4m on teen
By Cameron Bell

MELBOURNE Storm are poised to outlay more than $1million for an 18-year-old from Macksville that coach Craig Bellamy has described as "a young Laurie Daley"

Greg Inglis, who has played only 13 NRL games, will this week sign one of the most lucrative contracts ever afforded a rookie in the NRL in a deal brokered by manager Allan Gainey that has the potential to earn him well over $1m by the time he is 22.

That article linked on top of the thread said we signed Inglis earlier this year for three years but before the end of the year he's signing an upgraded contract worth upwards of $300K per year?

This year we re-signed Cameron Smith until 2008 and now Inglis until 2009 when they were both already locked up until 2007 and 2008 respectively. I guess I can see the reasoning behind it and both players deserved their upgrades but it's rather redundant isn't it? It's not like they're going anywhere.

At least now we know Inglis is no longer being managed by P.O'S

LESStar58

Referee
Cam was signed till the end of 07 along with Slater. Cam then got an extension till 2009 after Crocker signed on.

But on the topic at hand its a big show of faith in the kid's ability by putting that sort of money down for him. Obviously retention of outside backs is more important than finding a decent halfback at this stage.

read in the NRL thread that Storm will bid for Scott Prince should he put himself on the open market next season.

LESStar58 said:
read in the NRL thread that Storm will bid for Scott Prince should he put himself on the open market next season.
Only if we are really falling down in that area at the time.

GC would be prepared to offer him a fortune and we'd have to try and beat that.

I'd be delighted to have Scott Prince in the team. Storm would be fools to let that opportunity go should it ever come to pass. I know it may mean a lack of faith in Cronk but can you really help it?

I'd like to have Scott Prince in the team also.

We'll have seen Cronk and Co in action for more than 3mths by the time Prince becomes availible and decisions need to be made.

Latest posts