What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memorable Moments - Panthers of past and present

Exsilium

First Grade
I was having a chat with my best mate, who is a die hard like me. We got talking about various run ins, experiences and events with Panthers players and representatives, both current and present. Thought it would be great to hear some stories.

I have a couple:

a) Rob Weaver

Rob was an absolute gentleman. When he retired, he put a post on the old Panther Pride forum to announce his retirement and that he had some old gear to offload. I didn't even think I would stand a chance of getting a look in. He reached out to me and gave me an absolute bundle of gear. He was a fantastic bloke and made my day, week and year.

Ended up with all these signed jerseys, his personal panthers duffel bag and some very random panthers memorabilia. One in particular is an old Super League trench coat. Never worn. Signed SL jersey, a finals game worn jersey from Girdler and a whole bunch of flags and marketing material.

All of it is on display here at home. I decided that when my time is reaching an end, ill auction it all for charity.

b) Brad Tighe and Luke Walsh

It was a friday night at the Pioneer Hotel. About 1am and it was the night before game day. I was smashed, as expected and Brad Tighe comes up to me and asks for a fiver. I was in shock, cause it was a Panthers player drinking the night before a game and they were absolutely cooked :D

I gave him the fiver and a round but said I'd be waiting for them to finish and then making sure they went home. The next game, both of them had blinders, so maybe it was an omen but I was a little annoyed they would be out on the beers when we were struggling as a side.

c) Brian To'o

After the 21 GF win. I was in JB - Mount Druitt. I was looking at the Nintendo Switch games. This small bloke says "excuse me, sorry. Thank you" and walks past. It was BT and I don't know why I said this but all I managed was "No Brian, thank you......thank you very much"

He kind of looked at me like a weird fan girl and smiled. I got a photo and was chuffed to have met him.

d) Trent Waterhouse, Michael Jennings & Shane Rodney

Some of you may remember the old Fiddler? The original barn.

I was out with some girlfriends, MJ and TW were dancing a storm. The ladies loved them. TW was dating my mates sister at the time. He said he was home that night....Whoops.

Shane Rodney had a broken shoulder or maybe a collarbone but he was great for a yarn. Ended up having drinks with him and some other players. Good night overall.

Feel free to share your stories!

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
In about 2006 - With a few mates at another mates house, about 11pm Gowie walks in, hangs around until about 5am - You can imagine the shenanigans knowing Craig lol...

In 1991 my Parents were selling their acreage in Emu Heights, Real Estate brings out Brad Fittler, Brett Boyd and i think Ben A was also there in tow, almost ended up going ahead with the sale, but pulled the pin.

snickers007

Juniors
I don't live near Penrith, so my chance meetings are few and far between, but still have a couple.

1) in 2018 we came to Penrith for the game against the Warriors. Decided to take the day off work, and got a bit of retail therapy in before the game. I walked into Rebel Sports, and almost ran into the biggest human I've ever seen. I didn't look at his face, but as I was walking past I thought "that guys tattoo looks really familiar".

Did a double take and it was James Fisher-Harris.

I built up some courage and went to talk to him. I said "All the best tonight Fish. Rip in!". He said "We're sweet bro. Can't wait." and I got a fist bump.

For the record we pumped the Warriors that night - without Cleary, Maloney and Peachey who were all on Origin duty. This was the night Jarome Luai announced himself to the world - he tore the Wahs apart.

2) In 2005 I was at uni in Bathurst. And the Panthers played Newcastle in a pre-season game (the night that Dane Tilse did his thing...)

Anyway it was Orientation Week at uni - which meant lots of parties. And the Thursday night was 'Dag Night' - just dress in the most random stuff possible. So I was an absolute mess, but had my Panthers footy shorts over a pair of stockings on as part of my costume.

Next thing you know, Luke Lewis, Luke Rooney and Trent Waterhouse are at the bar. Getting absolutely surrounded by drunk 18 year girls. I ended up next to Waterhouse at the bar, and said something dumb about being a Panthers fan, and he didn't seem to care too much. I walked away thinking he was a bit of a jerk.

Fast forward to about 3 in the morning, everyone has moved downtown to another pub, and I'm about to get in a fight with some dickheads who had a problem with me wearing stockings. Before I could get belted, the Panther boys jump out the open window to save my sorry ass. No punches ended up being thrown, and they put me in the next available cab to get home.

Last edited:

Exsilium

First Grade
In about 2006 - With a few mates at another mates house, about 11pm Gowie walks in, hangs around until about 5am - You can imagine the shenanigans knowing Craig lol...

In 1991 my Parents were selling their acreage in Emu Heights, Real Estate brings out Brad Fittler, Brett Boyd and i think Ben A was also there in tow, almost ended up going ahead with the sale, but pulled the pin.

I heard Gowie was a bit of a loose unit. Never met him.

I was at the 03 GF and never really appreciated his impact but was a great experience all the same

Exsilium

First Grade
Got myself a coffee a few years back. Got a strange look up and down from Isaah Yeo leaving the cafe.

When I got back to the car I realised my fly was undone.

Id have said something.

“Bro, tent is open…….you picking up what I’m putting down?”

speaking of, a mate of mine just had his first child. Literally first picture was him holding his newborn with his fly open. I asked him if he got bored and forgot to zip up. He said it’s probably the last time he’ll have it open voluntarily.

Exsilium

First Grade
I don't live near Penrith, so my chance meetings are few and far between, but still have a couple.

1) in 2018 we came to Penrith for the game against the Warriors. Decided to take the day off work, and got a bit of retail therapy in before the game. I walked into Rebel Sports, and almost ran into the biggest human I've ever seen. I didn't look at his face, but as I was walking past I thought "that guys tattoo looks really familiar".

Did a double take and it was James Fisher-Harris.

I built up some courage and went to talk to him. I said "All the best tonight Fish. Rip in!". He said "We're sweet bro. Can't wait." and I got a fist bump.

For the record we pumped the Warriors that night - without Cleary, Maloney and Peachey who were all on Origin duty. This was the night Jarome Luai announced himself to the world - he tore the Wahs apart.

2) In 2005 I was at uni in Bathurst. And the Panthers played Newcastle in a pre-season game (the night that Dane Tilse did his thing...)

Anyway it was Orientation Week at uni - which meant lots of parties. And the Thursday night was 'Dag Night' - just dress in the most random stuff possible. So I was an absolute mess, but had my Panthers footy shorts over a pair of stockings on as part of my costume.

Next thing you know, Luke Lewis, Luke Rooney and Trent Waterhouse are at the bar. Getting absolutely surrounded by drunk 18 year girls. I ended up next to Waterhouse at the bar, and said something dumb about being a Panthers fan, and he didn't seem to care too much. I walked away thinking he was a bit of a jerk.

Fast forward to about 3 in the morning, everyone has moved downtown to another pub, and I'm about to get in a fight with some dickheads who had a problem with me wearing stockings. Before I could get belted, the Panther boys jump out the open window to save my sorry ass. No punches ended up being thrown, and they put me in the next available cab to get home.
When Fish had his daughter, he posted a pic and the baby was dressed in blue.

I said congrats on the boy! Needless to say I felt stupid when he told me it was a girl 😂

Munky

Coach
When I was in high school there was the story of a senior player giving his phone number to a girl at school.

She eventually rang it and he screamed down the line saying she shouldn't have called as his wife may have answered the phone.

The genius gave his home land line number. It was the late 90s but even then you'd imagine a pro footballer would have a mobile or a better way to conduct the clandestine arts.

In 2021, my late mother, and I, our car broke down near the stadium, we couldn't move it, and it was in a dangerous spot. James Fisher Harris, Moses Leota and Scott Sorenson, moved the car to a safe spot. The day was extremely hot, and we struggled, my mother in particular. They ensured we had water, and help was on its way.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Plenty of stories but the funniest (for me anyway) is one for the oldies.

We played the Raiders in the last round of the year and needed to win to hopefully avoid the wooden spoon. We won but didn't avoid the spoon.

Anyway, Girds couldn't play cause he had a sore posterior. I moaned all week he ensured we would win the spoon, cause Girds had a sore bum. My 8 year old went over to the players, who were watching reserve grade and asked them why Girds had a sore bum. They were in fits. The players came and got us after the game and took us into the sheds. Was a memorable night.

The Teach

Juniors
Coming back from Canberra in the early 90s, there was a fatal accident and traffic was in gridlock and not going anywhere. People were getting out of their cars and walking around, and we see some of the guys had gotten off the bus and caught up to us, so we got out and started chatting. Peter Kelly was half gone and told us a pretty funny joke about epilepsy. My mate, a massive unit, said he was epileptic and Pete almost crapped his pants and couldn't apologise more

Coming back from Canberra in the early 90s, there was a fatal accident and traffic was in gridlock and not going anywhere. People were getting out of their cars and walking around, and we see some of the guys had gotten off the bus and caught up to us, so we got out and started chatting. Peter Kelly was half gone and told us a pretty funny joke about epilepsy. My mate, a massive unit, said he was epileptic and Pete almost crapped his pants and couldn't apologise more
It's a pity your mate didn't drop Peter. There are certain topics which are not amusing and that is one of them.

Exsilium

First Grade

The epilepsy joke reminds me of a joke/prank played on newer students in boarding school.

It goes a little like this.

We would be in music class, learning piano.

One of our mates was fantastic and would randomly start playing a piano/keyboard. We would wait till a newbie took note and then get the newbie to take interest. When they did, we would tell them that 'His mum taught him...."
Nine times out of ten, the newbie would be like "you're really good at playing, I heard your mum taught you?"

Our mate would break out in tears and walk out in distress. We would act shocked and appalled. The newbie would ask what he said. We would tell the newbie that his mum didn't have hands and not to be so insensitive.

It was horrible but a great wind up.

Our mate was great at two things...Piano and Drama. He ended up being on TV and his method acting is as good now as it was then.

soc123_au

Staff member
The epilepsy joke reminds me of a joke/prank played on newer students in boarding school.

It goes a little like this.

We would be in music class, learning piano.

One of our mates was fantastic and would randomly start playing a piano/keyboard. We would wait till a newbie took note and then get the newbie to take interest. When they did, we would tell them that 'His mum taught him...."
Nine times out of ten, the newbie would be like "you're really good at playing, I heard your mum taught you?"

Our mate would break out in tears and walk out in distress. We would act shocked and appalled. The newbie would ask what he said. We would tell the newbie that his mum didn't have hands and not to be so insensitive.

It was horrible but a great wind up.

Our mate was great at two things...Piano and Drama. He ended up being on TV and his method acting is as good now as it was then.
Ha ha, I got caught out with this one in high school. Bastards had me on edge for a few days thinking I'd cop a flogging.

On topic, I was at a bucks party in 1989 for a Panthers player at the Pioneer Tavern. Very lucky there was no such things as mobile phones back then, or I daresay we wouldn't have won the comp in 91 as we wouldnt have had enough players to field a team. Ha ha.