What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Fitness Round -Nicho Hynes supporting recovery of Braydon Trindall, rough return date set for fallen playmaker

I wasn't sure where to paste this story, in the Trindall thread? In the TLT thread? In a Nicho thread?
In the end I thought it deserved its own.

Whilst the Goons are getting Flange, Flanju, and Bird to talk about us. The Sharks, with Nicho and Gus Worland, have started up a mental awareness week and that's what the media focus is on. Another good story by Riccio.

Hynes’ role in Trindall recovery, rough return date set

Nicho Hynes is playing an active role in helping resurrect the season of teammate Braydon Trindall. See when the crestfallen playmaker could be set to return.

Nicho Hynes has personally phoned the manager of teammate Braydon Trindall in a bid to play an active role in helping resurrect the crestfallen playmaker’s season.
The development has emerged in the wake of Trindall returning to Sharks training for the first time since taking leave from the club after testing positive to an illicit drug and DUI 10-days ago.
Trindall will face court on May 17 with neither the NRL or Sharks offering a definitive date for his return to the field.
There has been speculation that he will be out for a minimum of four weeks with the Sharks five-eighth missing a second consecutive match against the Dragons on Sunday at a sold-out PointsBet Stadium.
Replaced by rookie half Daniel Atkinson, Trindall has begun professional alcohol counselling as he attempts to reshape his life as a professional footballer.
On the day that Hynes launched the Sharks inaugural Mental Fitness Round, his own personally driven initiative to be held against St George-Illawarra on Sunday, he spoke of rallying around Trindall.

“I’ve checked in every day with him to make sure he’s doing well and doing what he needs to do,” Hynes said.
“He’s not a big talker ‘Tricky’ (Trindall), so I’m just trying to get more out of him each day.
“He’s doing well. He should be back here training soon and getting fit.
“He’s got some good people in his corner, I had a good chat to his manager the other day about how he’s going and what things we can put in place for him.
“I’ll be doing everything I can to make sure his mental fitness is at a good standard so that when he’s ready to go and allowed to come back and play, he’s raring to go like he was in the opening rounds.
“It’s important to get around our teammate, I care about him as a human before the rugby league player right now and he’s just got too worry about getting his mental fitness level to a good standard so he can wake-up smiling.”

Mental Fitness Round is the brainchild of Hynes, a passionate mental health advocate who has spoken openly and courageously about his experiences.
“I’ve been a big advocate over the last few years with my story and speaking about mental health, I’ve spoken so much about it out loud, so I need to follow through with it,” Hynes said.
“I spoke to the Sharks and we got the ball moving quickly.
“It’s a perfect way to get the message of mental fitness out and I’m really excited to see where it can get too.
“Its what we need in day to day life. We need to be able to speak more about what’s going on in our mind.

“There’s too many times in people’s lives where they haven’t been able to speak about it.
“It is a tough topic, but its not tough for us to stand here and try and promote the value in speaking up.”
In partnering with leading not-for-profit mental fitness organisation Gotcha4Life, founded by media personality and mental fitness advocate Gus Worland in 2017, Hynes ultimately hopes Mental Fitness Round grows to become an annual themed NRL round engaging all clubs.
“We tend to worry alone too much,” Worland said.
“We’re told to man-up and shut-up, well it’s time to man-up and speak-up, so to have people like Nicho stand-up and be vulnerable, if one kid listens on the weekend and goes I might tell Dad, my teacher or my coach how I’m feeling, that might change someone’s life completely and then all this would be worth it.
“Let’s hope in 10-years time this is something that every club does and that rugby league is the game that is a gold standard for mental fitness.”

DJDL

Bench
Good article and, once again, great to have Riccio in our corner.

This bit stood out for me:

The development has emerged in the wake of Trindall returning to Sharks training for the first time since taking leave from the club after testing positive to an illicit drug and DUI 10-days ago.

If he's returning to training already, it would suggest his "rehab" is just regular counseling rather than being locked away in a facility. Paints a different picture than Buzz's article, and only goes to lend further weight to the argument that Buzz is a hack. Gutter journalism at its best.

It really beggars belief Buzz could write something like that about a player from a club he reputedly supports.
No doubt Tricky has been doing it tough mentally and to have that kind of article written is really quite irresponsible.

At any rate, how good is Nicho?

I kind of get the feeling he's taken for granted at times because he's we'll, you know, Nicho and high profile.
But the past few games on the field has been all him. He's really warming into the 7 role very well. Then throw in the off field stuff and he's just a class act all round.

I'm stoked to have him.

Buzz is a hack he is well past it, on 360 he makes no sense sometimes.
Actually not many journos on 360 are that good Ricio is a cut above the rest he is impartial, no tangents, we get some good PR from him but it's fair.
He would be no different if that player was at Roosters and say JWH was helping him

Just goes to show the type of human being Nicho Hynes is. With everything he’s had to deal with personally recently and the pressures of being our main man. Here he is picking up the phone everyday to check in on a vulnerable team mate. And now he’s pushing for a Mental Fitness Round. All power to him.

Dean Ritchie seems on par with Buzz - the number of times he’s trying to make an argument and you can see he hasn’t thought it makes you think he should have a mandatory concussion time out
You can see Bulldog Dean Ritchie is an idea’s man. Lol.

Nice bloke but on par with Brent Read, Crawley in the “out there” brigade.

sladden road

Juniors
Don’t want to be a merkin here, some forumers could take a leaf out of Nichos book.
Not cast the first stone etc etc.

unless it’s a Kent. Cause he who has not Kented, may Kent the first stone.

I’m glad he’s getting professional help and Nicho in particular has been a major support. He comes across as a good kid and he’s very talented.

But no he was an idiot to be driving with that much alcohol in his system and taking drugs when he’s a meant to be a professional footballer. Let alone that he could have easily killed someone.

It hits a nerve with me as I stated before my cousin was involved in a head on collision with a heavily intoxicated drunk driver. She has a metal pin in her leg and has had multiple surgeries to her hip ever since. And hell yeah I judge the merkin that did that to her.

Fitz has backed Trindall and believed in him his whole career. He gets his chance as a full time starter this season and that’s his response. The team puts in so much gruelling training throughout the year and something like this to a key player can derail the whole season. It’s a team sport and you’re only as good as your weakest link. At the moment he’s the weakest link and he has to earn the trust of the team back.

I hope this is a turning point in his life not just his football career. The stories I could tell of people losing everything because of drug addiction. House, wife & family , job and even their lives. If anyone is on the shyte get help. Or at least go on You Tube and see from Doctors videos what drugs does to your body. There’s so much information out there no one should be naive and there’s plenty of help if you really want to change your life. I refuse to feel sorry for drunks and drug addicts. Because of the trail of destruction they leave behind.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Don’t want to be a merkin here, some forumers could take a leaf out of Nichos book.
Not cast the first stone etc etc.

unless it’s a Kent. Cause he who has not Kented, may Kent the first stone.
Be a merkin. Name and shame as far as I give a fugg. Some comments made over certain recent events have been far to reactive, stigmatic, judgemental and even racist (which was removed)

Then so many wanted to add 2+2 and make 87 over Toby being injured, again making judgements based on sweet fugg all.

So many self uppercuts due from the last couple weeks.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Probally guilty of flog posting myself, but the events of last week were somewhat a shock, hence the rapid fire Game day thread reaction to the Trindall incident by many.
Sounds like things are well in hand or as best to be expected at this stage.
Well done to the club on supporting both the player and bringing awareness to the issue that is rife in society

grozzy

Juniors
Does Buzz still sit with the regular folk in the ET stand? I haven't seen him in ages. I saw him a couple of times chatting to his mates at the printmedia desk. Last local game I heard him chatting to the ref before the game on SportsEars

Frenzy.

Immortal
Probally guilty of flog posting myself, but the events of last week were somewhat a shock, hence the rapid fire Game day thread reaction to the Trindall incident by many.
Sounds like things are well in hand or as best to be expected at this stage.
Well done to the club on supporting both the player and bringing awareness to the issue that is rife in society
You know you didn't make a single post in the thread I was referring to, right? HAHAHAHA