What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Menzies almost joined Eels

Menzies almost joined Eels
By Dean Ritchie
June 2, 2006

MANLY legend Steve Menzies - ready to play his 300th first grade game this weekend - last night revealed the moment he almost quit the Brookvale club he worships to join rival Parramatta.

It was in 2000 and Menzies's manager, Wayne Beavis, had held high-level talks with Eels's management.
So interested was Menzies in the offer, he drove to Parramatta Stadium for a secret meeting with then Eels coach Brian Smith.
Menzies liked what he heard from Smith. He also liked the money being spoken.
It was the first time in his long and golden career Menzies contemplated what Sydney's northern beaches would think unbearable - walking out to become an Eel.
"I was pretty close to going - I seriously considered it," Menzies told The Daily Telegraph.
"It was the longest and hardest I ever thought about leaving Manly.
"I went and saw Brian Smith and there was a pretty good offer there.
"I was interested in what he had to say and I was impressed with his football brain.
Advertisement:

"He thought my game would suit Parramatta's style of play. I was impressed with his knowledge."
Menzies spoke with family and friends about a possible move to western Sydney.
At the time, Parramatta had a powerful side and would make the following year's NRL grand final.
Conversely, Manly was struggling, not having reached the finals for four years.
"Prior to this I had never really thought about leaving. But I thought, 'This might be an option for me'," Menzies said.
But within a week Menzies had decided. He would stay with the club he cheered as a kid when playing juniors for Harbord United.
"I suppose deep down I knew it would be hard to leave," Menzies said.
"I always only wanted to play with Manly.
"You could say I knew I had made the right decision.
"I slept well after having made the decision. It was the right decision.
"I was comfortable here and although at the time we weren't going great, I was happy with the direction we were taking.
"I wanted to help see us through the bad times and help rebuild the club.
"At the time I was still enjoying my football.
"I suppose if you are losing and still liking my football, the club must have some good aspects.
"I grew up in Manly. That's where my family and friends are.
"They were the team I followed as a kid. I suppose looking back I would never have been able to leave."
And Menzies' loyalty will be rewarded against Penrith this Sunday at CUA Stadium, Penrith. He will run out for his 300th first grade - only one of eight other players to achieve the honour - Terry Lamb (349), Brad Fittler (336), Cliff Lyons (332), Andrew Ettingshausen (328), Geoff Gerard (320), Paul Langmack (315), Jason Croker (304) and Luke Ricketson (301).
Should he stay fit, Menzies will be the first to play more than 350 matches. He could reach 360.
And Menzies, who this week signed a new two-year deal with Manly, has essentially done it with one club.
He has played 230 matches for Manly and 69 for the Northern Eagles - the failed joint venture between the Sea Eagles and North Sydney.
"Only a couple of players at Manly have played 300 so it's a big honour to do it at one club," Menzies said.
"These are records that seem to mean more when you retire.
"It's a great milestone but the win against Penrith will be just as important.
"The whole event will be all the more satisfying if we can win. I suppose it will be hollow if we lose.
"We are coming seventh in the NRL. A lot of teams are close together so it's vital we win."
Manly teammates this week paid tribute to the champion Menzies.
"He's a Manly legend, a champion player and a champion bloke," five-eighth Travis Burns said.
"He's been really good to me. He's put in a lot of work with me and all the young guys.
"To be playing so well after so many years says it all."
Halfback Matt Orford agreed, saying: "For a second-rower or back-rower he reads the game so well.
"He pops up where he's not supposed to.
"I feel lucky to have had half-a-season with him [at the Northern Eagles] and now this season. He's a real character." Asked how he felt about life, Menzies said: "I'm continuing to live my dream of playing for Manly."

The Daily Telegraph

Stagger eel

Staff member
I remember a contact I had at the club kept telling me he was sure thing...can you imagine him in the 2001 side???...we would of gone through the year undefeated.

The Colonel

Immortal
I kept being told it was nothing short of done. In the end it was good to see loyalty win out. Gower was supposed to be a done deal at the same time too until a certain someone got involved.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
I kept being told it was nothing short of done. In the end it was good to see loyalty win out.

:clap: and thats why i've always liked Menzies

Yeah..I watched the footy show last night and as much as I hate Manly it is good to see a genuine good guy like Beaver stay loyal.

You can see why he would be a clubs favourite.

It would have cut him up to see what had become of Manly when the NE were cooked up but to think he has come out the other side for the club he started with is an indication of his character.

Sheesh..how hard was that to say as a Parra and Qld supporter!!!

forward pass

Coach
He was given a deadline by Fitzy to sign and I recall he was in Bali or somehting at the time. Anyway, Fitzy never heard back so the offer was withdrawn !!

strider

Post Whore
I remember us going after him hard - I think ppl were saying something like $400K/yr .... I was dying for him to join parra.

I've gotta say he's one of those players from other teams that you always wished would come play for your team ..... Wayne Pearce was another I would have loved to see at Parra.

But yeah - its good he stayed with Manly all his career - nice to see loyalty in the current game.

Andy04

Juniors
The article really emphasises the difference between Steve Menzies and Adam Dykes. Menzies gave more regard to loyalty than money, whereas Dykes was faced with the same decision and took money over loyalty but secretly recorded the Cronulla games

walker smith

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I kept being told it was nothing short of done. In the end it was good to see loyalty win out. Gower was supposed to be a done deal at the same time too until a certain someone got involved.

who got involved?

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra pete said:
Beaver...We would have been better off getting Beavis :lol:

well, he's always at our home games being treated like royalty in the coporate box so it wouldn't surprise me. :roll:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
beaver what a player would have looked good in the blue and golds but he showed some loyalty something seriously lacking in footy this day and age.

Alan Shore

First Grade
eelavation said:
I remember a contact I had at the club kept telling me he was sure thing...can you imagine him in the 2001 side???...we would of gone through the year undefeated.

Ease off the hyperbole, mate!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
fish eel said:
I remember the message boards back then....werent exactly exicted about it.

That was given his form in 2000, I remember Sharp dropped him to the bench a couple of times. Then his form got better in 2001 after his stayed with the Beagles.

Parra Guru

Coach
From the Eagles website.... Hope he goes on to break Lamb's record... There's no one more deserving!

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?newsid=562

MEDIA RELEASE - STEVE MENZIES SIGNS FOR 2
30/05/2006
By Manly Sea Eagles

The Manly Sea Eagles champion forward Steve Menzies will play out his amazing career with the Club and has agreed to a new two year contract.

Menzies came to his decision to remain with the Club today and will play his 300th first grade game with Manly in Sunday’s match against Penrith at CUA Stadium, Penrith.

Manly’s interim C.E.O., Paul Cummings, said the Club were delighted for the record breaking forward to see out his career in maroon and white.

“He is a role model for every youngster playing the game. Steve Menzies is an all time great still playing for his Club, State and Country 14 years after first appearing in first grade. There have been times when he could have left for more money but that isn’t his style. Our fans will be happy he is staying and they will turn out in force at Penrith on Sunday to celebrate the occasion” Mr Cummings said.

Menzies will join his former premiership team mate, Cliff Lyons in the 300 Club at Manly on Sunday. Ironically, he names Lyons as the greatest player he has played with in his long career.

Menzies manager, Wayne Beavis said “it was good for the game that Menzies remained a one club player. He is relaxed and confident about his future now and while he thought long and hard about England, it came down to lifestyle and a belief that the Sea Eagles are on the verge of a new era which he wants to be part of” Beavis said.

Menzies said he wanted to settle his future as soon as possible to concentrate on the second half of the premiership. “I am excited about where we can go in this premiership and while I am honored to play 300 first grade games, I’m continuing to live my dream of playing for the Club. I followed Manly as a kid with my grand pop on the hill at Brookvale Oval” Menzies said.

Latest posts