What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Menzies signs with Bradford

gong_eagle

First Grade
Bradford poised to sign Menzies

July 16, 2008\http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24031405-23214,00.html

ENGLISH Super League club Bradford is reportedly poised to sign Manly great Steve Menzies.
Menzies, 34, is set to leave the Sea Eagles after 14 seasons and is believed to be considering finishing his career in England.

"The Bulls have more or less convinced him to have a farewell year in Super League," the Daily Express newspaper reported.

"Bulls' fans may question why the club is chasing a player who will be 35 in December, but second-row Menzies is still one of the fittest and most dedicated professionals in Australia, and can also fill in at centre or stand-off."

Menzies has also been linked with Salford and Widnes and his manager Wayne Beavis said another club had made a late expression of interest.

Beavis could not say if the club was an NRL or Super League side and said no decision had been made yet.

"I can't confirm anything at this stage, probably tomorrow I'd say we'd be making a decision," Beavis said.

"I've got another expression of interest so I'm just testing the water here and we'll see what happens.

"There's no decision on anything at this stage."

The Sea Eagles have pencilled in a press conference for Thursday afternoon if any decision on Menzies' future is made.

AAP

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bradford poised to sign Menzies

July 16, 2008 ENGLISH Super League club Bradford is reportedly poised to sign Manly great Steve Menzies.
Menzies, 34, is set to leave the Sea Eagles after 14 seasons and is believed to be considering finishing his career in England.

"The Bulls have more or less convinced him to have a farewell year in Super League," the Daily Express newspaper reported.

"Bulls' fans may question why the club is chasing a player who will be 35 in December, but second-row Menzies is still one of the fittest and most dedicated professionals in Australia, and can also fill in at centre or stand-off."

Menzies has also been linked with Salford and Widnes and his manager Wayne Beavis said another club had made a late expression of interest.

Beavis could not say if the club was an NRL or Super League side and said no decision had been made yet.

"I can't confirm anything at this stage, probably tomorrow I'd say we'd be making a decision," Beavis said.

"I've got another expression of interest so I'm just testing the water here and we'll see what happens.

"There's no decision on anything at this stage."

The Sea Eagles have pencilled in a press conference for Thursday afternoon if any decision on Menzies' future is made.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24031405-23214,00.html

sass

Juniors
noooo! I don't want to see menzies playing for anyone but manly. it would break my heart.

adamkungl

Immortal
as sad as it is, he *is* 34. talent and future worth wise, nowhere near the loss that gasnier is. But as a representation of our game, worth more than f**king chinhead ever could hope

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why Manly forum? It's less to do with the club and more to do with the exodus of NRL players ffs

El Diablo

Post Whore
as sad as it is, he *is* 34. talent and future worth wise, nowhere near the loss that gasnier is.

exactly

he's nearing the end of his career and probably going over to earn a few dollars before retirement as he's pretty well achieved everything here

it's no big loss to the NRL imo and will give Manly a chance to sign up some younger players

El Diablo

Post Whore
Why Manly forum? It's less to do with the club and more to do with the exodus of NRL players ffs

bullsh*t

older players going to England has been common foor quite a few years and is not comparable with the ESL and Rugby Union signing up current rep players who still have a long time left in the game

Snoop

Coach
I would be fine with Beaver playing his last year overseas. It's something different, a new experience and this would be his last chance for it. He's given Manly more than we could ever ask for and proved his loyalty when he stuck with us through the lean years.

Having said that it won't be the same without him. I would be gutted if he signed with another NRL club though.

I would be fine with Beaver playing his last year overseas. It's something different, a new experience and this would be his last chance for it. He's given Manly more than we could ever ask for and proved his loyalty when he stuck with us through the lean years.

Having said that it won't be the same without him. I would be gutted if he signed with another NRL club though.

No fear of that. Beaver has publicly stated in the past he will not play for another NRL club against Manly.

He wont retire this year either, so its the UK, or stay on with us.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Will be devastating to see him go, he has been my favourite player for the past 16 years.

However, I hope he can secure an insanely rich deal in the UK. If anyone deserves a massive pay packet before retirement it's Beaver. He has accepted a lot less money to stay at Manly several times now and no Manly nor NRL fan can begrudge him one last big deal in England.

I will be watching and cheering for whoever Beaver plays for in the ESL next year, and I would love nothing more then for him to go out with a premiership this year, again he deserves it.

sass

Juniors
Will be devastating to see him go, he has been my favourite player for the past 16 years.

However, I hope he can secure an insanely rich deal in the UK. If anyone deserves a massive pay packet before retirement it's Beaver. He has accepted a lot less money to stay at Manly several times now and no Manly nor NRL fan can begrudge him one last big deal in England.

aww I know. he definitely deserves a huge pay packet if he can get it ... I don't know why though I just hate the thought of seeing him in another jersey, even if it's superleague.

it just Doesn't Seem Right. :(

RainMan

Juniors
Beaver heading to Bradford

July 17, 2008 MANLY veteran Steve Menzies has confirmed a Super League swansong after agreeing to a one-year deal with Bradford for next season.
Menzies will join the Bulls after completing his 16th season in the NRL, his stint including 13 years with Manly sandwiched around three seasons with the shortlived Northern Eagles franchise.
The 15-Test veteran made his first grade debut in 1993, and made a name for himself as the games's most prolific try-scoring forward.

His 338 first grade games is second only to Terry Lamb (349) for most first grade games ever played, while he trails only Ken Irvine (212) for most tries, having crossed the stripe on 171 occasions.

:(

Latest posts