What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge the NSW & QLD cups

paulmac

Juniors
I noticed another thread about a comp between NSW & QLD Cup teams which got me thinking about perhaps merging the two to form the NRL second division.Essentialy it would be a reserve grade competition but with no NRL entities.Split into 2 conferences (NSW & QLD) teams would play each other once then the teams in their respective conferences twice for a total of 22 games.It would look something like this
QLD CONFERENCE 1.Central Qld (Cowboys),2.Ipswich (Titans),3.Norths Devils (Storm),4.Sunshine Coast(Sea-Eagles),5.Souths Magpies(Raiders) ,6.Easts Tigers(Bulldogs),7.Wynnum(Sharks),8.Redcliffe(Broncos)
NSW CONFERENCE 1.Newcastle Rosellas(Knights)2.Illawarra Steelers(Dragons),3.North Sydney(Rabbitohs),4.Newtown(Roosters),5.Wentworthville(Eels),6.Windsor(Panthers),7.*Wests Magpies(Tigers),8.Wellington Orcas(Warriors).
*In year one Balmain would play in Jim Beam Cup then alternate with the magpies.
So there you go a mix of traditional & ambitous clubs which i beleive would be an attractive competittion for TV.The other benefit to come out of this proposal is that at the moment the 2nd tier at the moment involves 23 teams spread across 2 comps so with fewer teams the standard would inevetibaly rise preparing the next generation of footballers for NRL.

rambo1

Juniors
I think it would really strengthen the playing standard much along the lines of what has happened with the increase in standard in the Toyota Cup. I suppose funding is the issue here.

joshreading

Staff member
I totally believe in this option. In fact in time I think it all should be intergrated with a Oceania Wide Initiative.

eg. Final 3 from NSW conference, final 3 from Qld and winner of NZRL and PNGRL, THEN in time add rep sides from Fiji etc. in the "NRL2 finals''

Just imagine it - Redcliffe V Balmain GF at Suncorp - Live TV Coverage. It can and should be done.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Good luck getting support from Queensland! The Qld Cup is well and truly established. The Qld Cup isn't a reserve grade competition and shall remain that way.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I noticed another thread about a comp between NSW & QLD Cup teams which got me thinking about perhaps merging the two to form the NRL second division.Essentialy it would be a reserve grade competition but with no NRL entities.Split into 2 conferences (NSW & QLD) teams would play each other once then the teams in their respective conferences twice for a total of 22 games.It would look something like this
QLD CONFERENCE 1.Central Qld (Cowboys),2.Ipswich (Titans),3.Norths Devils (Storm),4.Sunshine Coast(Sea-Eagles),5.Souths Magpies(Raiders) ,6.Easts Tigers(Bulldogs),7.Wynnum(Sharks),8.Redcliffe(Broncos)
NSW CONFERENCE 1.Newcastle Rosellas(Knights)2.Illawarra Steelers(Dragons),3.North Sydney(Rabbitohs),4.Newtown(Roosters),5.Wentworthville(Eels),6.Windsor(Panthers),7.*Wests Magpies(Tigers),8.Wellington Orcas(Warriors).
*In year one Balmain would play in Jim Beam Cup then alternate with the magpies.
So there you go a mix of traditional & ambitous clubs which i beleive would be an attractive competittion for TV.The other benefit to come out of this proposal is that at the moment the 2nd tier at the moment involves 23 teams spread across 2 comps so with fewer teams the standard would inevetibaly rise preparing the next generation of footballers for NRL.

Norths aren't with the Storm. They are associated with the Broncos as are Wynnum. Easts aren't with the Bulldogs either.

Roland

Juniors
St George are like Canberra. They cant afford to run a second squad. They asked several Illawarra clubs to join with them at the start of last season and none would be in it.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
St George are like Canberra. They cant afford to run a second squad. They asked several Illawarra clubs to join with them at the start of last season and none would be in it.

The blokes that can't make Canberra's NRL team play for Souths Logan.

Roland

Juniors
The blokes that can't make Canberra's NRL team play for Souths Logan.

yeah, I watch the Qld Cup replay on Fox on Wednesday nights so I know Souths Logan have that great jersey with all the historical clubs as part of it.

My point is that Canberra have maybe 8 in the QCup meaning maybe 28 players besides the u20's. Teams running second tier sides have about 45 players.

Canberra dont want to pay 45 and neither do Saints who have maybe 2 at Burleigh, about 4 at Shellharbour and another couple in the Illawarra league so again about 28. The only way Saints can have have a second tier team is if Collegains or W'Gong Wests pay for half of a joint venture and both said no this year.

I think it is more likely that Bennett will improve the relationship with Burleigh and send 8 blokes there just like Canberra and now Manly.

Last edited:

The Observer

Staff member
Merging the Cups is unnecessary. However, moving some teams between the Cups would help. The NSW Cup has always been the second tier to the National Comp, it is the defacto NRL reserve grade .I'd suggest that Brisbane, Cowboys, Gold Coast and Canberra all send a QLD team to play in the NSW Cup in 2009, making it a 16 team comp. Those teams could be Northern Pride (Cowboys)
Souths Logan Magpies (Canberra) maybe
Redcliffe Dolphins (Broncos) and
Burleigh Bears (Titans).

Given that would leave 7 clubs in the QLD Cup, the WA Reds, Sunshine Coast and the Wellington Orcas could be invited to participate in the QLD Cup 2009, giving it a 10 team competition.

Roland

Juniors
I am pretty sure that the excess Titans players go Ipswich but as the Qld posters will tell you, none of the Qld Cup teams are reserve grade sides. They are simply clubs that NRL sides place their excess players with.

The goal of the Qld Cup teams is to win the comp and they dont compromise their standard to trial juniors unless they are good enough to shift the established players.

The goal of the reserve grade sides to NRL teams is to act as a development grade to find players that might be able to play NRL. this means there is a continuous turnover of players from the previous years Flegg side, many of whom dont amount to much and get the bullet the next year for the next batch of hopefuls.

yeah, I watch the Qld Cup replay on Fox on Wednesday nights so I know Souths Logan have that great jersey with all the historical clubs as part of it.

My point is that Canberra have maybe 8 in the QCup meaning maybe 28 players besides the u20's. Teams running second tier sides have about 45 players.

Canberra dont want to pay 45 and neither do Saints who have maybe 2 at Burleigh, about 4 at Shellharbour and another couple in the Illawarra league so again about 28. The only way Saints can have have a second tier team is if Collegains or W'Gong Wests pay for half of a joint venture and both said no this year.

I think it is more likely that Bennett will improve the relationship with Burleigh and send 8 blokes there just like Canberra and now Manly.

It's looking more than likely that in the next year or two, The Dragons will have a side in Reserve Grade. If it will be St George, Illawarra, STGI or Shellharbour, that hasn't been decided.

paulmac

Juniors
Seagullsrock - I was just using examples for arguments sake.The storm for about 10 years had a relationship with the Devils,With Easts I just went with the Darren Smith connection and Wynnum well the link is that they are both bayside clubs.Tenuous i know.
If the dragons do enter a side next year it would be good for that side to be known as the Steelers so the Illawarra side of the JV is represented.

Seagullsrock - I was just using examples for arguments sake.The storm for about 10 years had a relationship with the Devils,With Easts I just went with the Darren Smith connection and Wynnum well the link is that they are both bayside clubs.Tenuous i know.
If the dragons do enter a side next year it would be good for that side to be known as the Steelers so the Illawarra side of the JV is represented.

They're represented - it's called the alternate strip! :D

The Steelers SG Ball + Harold Matthews sides use the away strip as their primary strip. Obviously, St George U16's + U18's use the home strip. Also, if they were called the Steelers in Reserve Grade, they would be booed out of Kogarah Oval pretty darn hard!

Last time we had a side in Reserves, it was as STGI. However, the talk seems to focus more on having the Shellharbour Marlins in Reserve Grade, similar to Wentworthville and Winsor moving up a grade as support to an NRL club.

Last edited:

Latest posts