What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Jennings

Don't the NRL have sole discretion here?

I'd say it's more to do with the power and influence the Roosters have with the NRL.

I'd doubt a lesser club gets this one over the line.

For mine, he shouldn't be anywhere near the game, same as that piece of shit Lodge.
If power and influence gets you Jennings, I don’t think the lesser clubs are too upset with Easts.

It's gets you Lodge and Jennings on low salary contracts.

It's a great way to minimise your cap.
Neither player has any great negotiating power to get a higher contract though, do they? They’re pretty much available on the cheap to all clubs. Wish we weren’t one of them in both cases.

Vlad59

Juniors
There is no way the NRL are "forced" to register someone. They have sole discretion here.

Look at Israel Folau.

They are just as complicit, in this decision, as the Roosters.
Good quote. Who used that word?

Danish

Referee
Don't the NRL have sole discretion here?

I'd say it's more to do with the power and influence the Roosters have with the NRL.

I'd doubt a lesser club gets this one over the line.

For mine, he shouldn't be anywhere near the game, same as that piece of shit Lodge.

The NRL couldn’t just deny anyone they felt like. If they turned around tomorrow and decided to not register Reece Walsh or something then they’d be challenged and lose in court without question.

they have sole discretion to decide if they are willing to take on the challenge like they did with Folau. Although tbh if any club actually wanted Folau in first grade I suspect they’d have had to fold like the QRL did.

As for Jennings I think basically nobody’s expected he’d be near first grade since easts had 4 or so players ahead of him. So it probably wasn’t expected to be a big deal in their eyes. A convo with Robbo though would have made it more clear though as he’d made it no secret he’d hoped to get Jennings a few first grade games this season specifically to hit the 300 milestone

Canard

Immortal
The NRL couldn’t just deny anyone they felt like. If they turned around tomorrow and decided to not register Reece Walsh or something then they’d be challenged and lose in court without question.
I'd be surprised if a sporting code can be "forced" to register anyone.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Please only refer to the Jennings case as was reported. These were Civil Court proceedings, where the burden of proof is lower than that of a criminal court. Any posts that speculate beyond that will be removed.

This is not up for discussion.

Thank you.

Moderator Bot

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennings had not been found guilty of a criminal offence as far as I’m aware. Regardless of what we think I’m not sure what the nrl can do unless it brings in a good character clause and good luck with that
Surely popping a drug test would be enough to deny his registration.

MKCS

Juniors
To me it seems like the NRL just pick and choose. We're not celebrating Jennings because he apparently abused his ex wife (Which he denies) and for performance enhancing drugs but we celebrate the likes of Greg Inglis who bashed his Mrs and was drink driving whilst the Australian captain.

Another example of a huge double standard is the NRL refusing to register Ben Barba ever again for assaulting his wife but then players like Matthew Lodge still get to play and make a living from the game.

Last edited:

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I have a family member that knows MJ and his family and says nothing but good things about him.
I will not comment on what I have heard about the ex.

But in my opinion he has done time and its nothing short of an absolute disgrace the attitude the NRL has take based on the carry on of an agenda driven fool in the media. A knee jerk reaction to the ravings of a jerk.

Danish

Referee
I'd be surprised if a sporting code can be "forced" to register anyone.

Why? Folau got an enormous payout for that very thing by rugby Australia. He was also suing the QRL until they backed off and registered him.

If a club wants someone the NRL would need so solid footing to deny a registration. I don’t know that “lost a civil suit” clears that bar

Vlad59

Juniors
He did. IIRC, he was de-registered when he failed the tests and it cost him his contract with the Eels too.
Yep. This thread is full of chest beaters with no understanding of the difference between civil and criminal law and layer their ignorant comments with endless false equivalence.

Maximus

Coach
Why? Folau got an enormous payout for that very thing by rugby Australia.

No he got a payout because had his contract torn up and claimed unfair dismissal.

He was also suing the QRL until they backed off and registered him.

They said from the start that they'd register him, but he was still registered with Catalans. When Catalans released him, the QRL registered him the same day.

If a club wants someone the NRL would need so solid footing to deny a registration. I don’t know that “lost a civil suit” clears that bar

If that were true, any signings that have been delayed due to not having a high enough nominal value could have easily been challenged. If a team wants to sign someone the week before a grand final, just sue and force them to register the contract.

Unless their refusal to register a player broke some anti-discrimination laws, I don't see a court doing anything.

Danish

Referee
If de-registered players have to apply for re-registration surely there are grounds to knock him back again, was he banned by the nrl or asada?

The NRL banned him, so I fail to see how they could retroactively upgrade him to a life ban.

Maybe google it if you want to learn more

Latest posts