What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milford / Oates collision.... play-on or not?

adamkungl

Immortal
Have heard it was an accidental offside which might make it a dead ball.

But - assuming no such case, it should be play on. If there's an injury, no matter how serious, the game should be stopped at the end of the current play.

mozza91

Coach
Yep the call was correct. Why Brisbane were allowed to stand 5 metres offside at them end remains a mystery.

Last edited:

Someguy

First Grade
No idea the rule but ball not moving, touching a broncos player after other bronco knocked on, to me it's fair enough to stop it there.

You could argue Oates would have grabbed the ball if no injured as it was sitting against him

no name

Coach
At the time I thought it should have been play on. Stopping the play was the correct call but the NRL can't even explain away the ones they get right.

What people in here are saying is correct in that it was accidental offside, but the NRL have come out and said it is at the referees discretion to call time off when they think someone might be seriously injured.
The play was 20 metres away from Oates when they called time off. Not sure how calling time off then would have made much difference as Alfie was already with Oates as time off was called.

Canard

Immortal
They stop the game for all sorts of injuries these days. I assume duty of care now overrules a strict interpretation of the rules.

Last week the Eels Storm game was held up for 5 mins whilst Cameron King recovered from a grass burn on his elbow.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
While the offside ruling is correct as it touched Milford who was in front, that's not why they stopped play.

I don't have a problem with it tbh. As soon as the collision occured it looked bad and the ref would have immediately seen it.

It's not like the ball flew out to the side and bounced into the oppositions hands in one fluent motion. Oates was motionless, the ball was just sitting there and that slight delay between loose ball and Panther retrieval was just enough time for the ref to call time off.

OldPanther

Coach
I don't mind stopping play for that. Last year against Titans we had one similar with no injury involved (peachy touching ball after a knock on) and it was play on and Titans try so there is a precedent set for a Panthers try there.

Oates lost the ball into Milford who was in front of him which is accidental offside, this results in a scrum to the defending team.

Not hard really.

#doesntknowtherules
I have no idea
But why doesn't the advantage rule apply

They allow play to go on if there's been an infringement by the defending side & the attacking side look like scoring
If they're stopped they go back to a penalty .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Oates lost the ball into Milford who was in front of him which is accidental offside, this results in a scrum to the defending team.

Not hard really.

#doesntknowtherules

whilst thats true, was that why they pulled it up or was it because of oats?

Clifferd

Coach
I think in the rule book it's play on, but for the spirit of the game they stop the game when players are seriously injured like that