What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Cities and the NRL

Teddyboy

First Grade
At present there are a number of NRL bids that will not make the cut (or are VERY unlikely). In addition there are a number of other cities that could well turn out decent crowds for one or two games per season if given the opportunity.

Areas such as Rocky, Mackay, Cairns, Sunshine Coast (in Qld) Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin, Coffs Harbour, PNG and a number of NZ locations.

I think every NRL Club should be required to take one home game away and establish a fairly permanent relationship with these areas.

The NRL should offer as part of a wider 'on the road' initiative to subsidise the ventures with a hundred thousand per game. Clubs, governments
and corporate sponsors can work on other financial incentives to make it particularly prosperous. (eg. The PNG government if it is so convinced
it can support an NRL team should offer significant funds to move NRL games there - Sharks could possibly do well and widen their net)

It establishes the presence of the NRL in nearly every corner of Oz/NZ. Expands the chance of new supporters etc.

It could also be used to look further afield if the monetary possibilities exist (eg. Asia or South Africa)

Good post but forget about South Africa and Asia but be nice to see one game a year in the Pacific Islands.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Dear Everyone.

Think before posting. Capacity at most country grounds as about 4-5k. That includes Port and Coffs. Apart from Perth and Gosford, are there any venues in the country that would even MATCH what a game would get at a home ground?

Season ticket holders would miss out. Corporate dollar would plummet with no corporate boxes. The technology for the big screen is a huge burden for smaller clubs anyway - it would have to be hired and transported. Same with lighting, same with media facilities as every NRL game is a media production.

I seem to recall a figure of about $100k to transport, set up and operate lighting at a country venue. I also recall a few years ago the Tigers got 17k on a sunday arvo against the Titans - and Steve Noyce saying they only broke even on the say.

I'm not too knowledgeable on sporting facilities in rural Queensland, but I'd bet the op's remaining brain cell that Dairy Farmers is the biggest capacity ground north of Lang Park.

Trials are good though. More bush trials are a good thing. But keep NRL games to the big grounds.
:clap:
Well done Loudy, there's your reasonable, logical and intelligent post for the month.

joshreading

Staff member
Dear Everyone.

Think before posting. Capacity at most country grounds as about 4-5k. That includes Port and Coffs.

Actually both these grounds have significantly more capacity in total (10k and 20k - though each with only about 1k seating)

Also, there has been little focus on these country venues but rather other minor cities. Eg. Adelaide/Darwin/Cairns/Hobart/Wellington/Gosford etc. Each of these locations have facilities that are within reach of special event status for NRL games (or already meet the standards)

There are no doubt costs associated (thus the initial funding from the NRL) but the NRL needs to start moving with strategic vision (I know vision is a dirty word post SL) Cities will respond in upgrades, corporate sponsorship and increased membership if NRL Clubs are willing to look beyond their noses.

griff

Bench
The ideal vehicle for taking games to regional centres and emerging markets is a proper preseason cup replacing the trial games. This would also be another property to sell to sponsors and TV (tooheys cup, nab cup, panasonic cup, etc).

Drop the nrl back to 22 rounds, pair clubs with a traditional rival into four groups of four. Each team gets 3 games, group winners play a semi and then a final. The existing preseason games like the charity shield would get incorporated into the preseason cup.

eozsmiles

Bench
We've done our bit. Taken games to Perth and Gosford. As have the Dogs and a few others.

I'm surprised it's only the big teams doing this. You'd think teams like Cronulla, Manly and Penrith would jump at the chance at taking some of their less attractive fixtures to other markets.

Cronulla went to NZ this year. Manly go to Gosford more than anyone else.

You do know that this has nothing to do with promoting the game though? You also have to remember that clubs such as Melbourne and Manly are like your team Bunniesman - privatised gold plated yuppies. Crowds and promoting the game don't matter to these teams as the bills are paid by their number 1 fan.

I think Souths have taken every home game away from their area this season purely in order to make money - money is why they play at Homebush and not in the city. You can't throw up the "We've done our bit" line when you know they aren't promoting anything but Rusty's wallet for ten of their "home" games and put their hand out to the NRL to move the other two.

Smiley

Bench
Mackay Stadium has much better facilities than Browne and Barlow.

MDM_02-08-2011_FRONT_PAGE_01_MKY0100811stadium_fct437x269x17_t325.jpg

It's a class above any other ground used in the Q Cup except maybe Sunshine Coast Stadium (Stockland Park).

259969_210972175607942_120447977993696_601552_4423537_n.jpg

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Dear Everyone.

Think before posting. Capacity at most country grounds as about 4-5k. That includes Port and Coffs. Apart from Perth and Gosford, are there any venues in the country that would even MATCH what a game would get at a home ground?

Season ticket holders would miss out. Corporate dollar would plummet with no corporate boxes. The technology for the big screen is a huge burden for smaller clubs anyway - it would have to be hired and transported. Same with lighting, same with media facilities as every NRL game is a media production.

I seem to recall a figure of about $100k to transport, set up and operate lighting at a country venue. I also recall a few years ago the Tigers got 17k on a sunday arvo against the Titans - and Steve Noyce saying they only broke even on the say.

I'm not too knowledgeable on sporting facilities in rural Queensland, but I'd bet the op's remaining brain cell that Dairy Farmers is the biggest capacity ground north of Lang Park.

Trials are good though. More bush trials are a good thing. But keep NRL games to the big grounds.

You could easily get 1500 people in utes on the sidelines at Cooma Showground - and that's just the western sideline. The grandstand would hold 500 more (never mind it doesn't sit anywhere near the ground for some reason, PERFECT for the corporates), then you've got got room for easily another 1000 on the Eastern Hill in front of the multifunction centre, and then youv'e got a stack of room for cars outside the fence that runs around the old trotting track. There's not a bad seat in the house (except in the grandstand)

Add those up, factor in the proximity to all the pubs and you can quite clearly see - its got to be Cooma.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Mackay Stadium has much better facilities than Browne and Barlow.

MDM_02-08-2011_FRONT_PAGE_01_MKY0100811stadium_fct437x269x17_t325.jpg

It's a class above any other ground used in the Q Cup except maybe Sunshine Coast Stadium (Stockland Park).

259969_210972175607942_120447977993696_601552_4423537_n.jpg

Does it have it's own semi pro Rugby team ???
I love cosy stadiums like that.

Loudstrat

Coach
Actually both these grounds have significantly more capacity in total (10k and 20k - though each with only about 1k seating)
What f*cking rubbish. City v Country only attracted 7k and 8k. I have been to trials at Port Regional and grabbed the last bum space on the grass for a blanket at 3500. The only way you'd get 20k into Coffs Stadium is by having 12k sit on the playing field!
Also, there has been little focus on these country venues but rather other minor cities. Eg. Adelaide/Darwin/Cairns/Hobart/Wellington/Gosford etc. Each of these locations have facilities that are within reach of special event status for NRL games (or already meet the standards)
There are I believe 5 venues outside existing NRL clubs areas that would get over 10k: Bluetongue at Gosford, MEC at Perth, The Caketin in Wellington, Christchurch and Waikato. If you cannot get 10k to Adelaide, you'd struggle to get near that in Darwin or Hobart.

There are no doubt costs associated (thus the initial funding from the NRL) but the NRL needs to start moving with strategic vision (I know vision is a dirty word post SL) Cities will respond in upgrades, corporate sponsorship and increased membership if NRL Clubs are willing to look beyond their noses.
Penrith move their home games to Port, and it will increase their membership? More corporates will flock to the Panthers if they move away? Penrith Council will pour at $10 million upgrade into Centrebet Stadium if they hold their home games at Port?

If anyone on LU lives in an alternative reality, it's you Josh.

BDR

First Grade
2 rounds a year where a home game from each club is taken elsewhere would be a great idea, especially post expansion where there will be extra rounds to be played per year

at the moment each club has 12 home games and with the expansion 13 with the extra to be played in a regional centre of the club's choice

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
A couple of points:

- Expansion is unlikely to result in more rounds of footy - players are quite rightly complaining about burn out factor;

- as stated above, the reason that some clubs have taken their games elsewhere is not out of the goodness of their heart for the benefit of the game but because it gets them a few shekels extra;

- the most likely place that the bigger clubs will be moving games to is ANZ, SFS or Suncorp to make real money;

- the future revenue of clubs is only going to become further reliant on memberships (i.e., season tickets) and corporate dollars, which I highly doubt are assisted by moving home games elsewhere;

- rather than cosmetic one off games in regional areas, the NRL should be focusing on resourcing the local competitions and junior development (of course assisted where possible by clubs with preseason trials, development visits, junior links etc).

Smiley

Bench
Cheers, what crowds number's to they expect.

Not sure. The stadium has already been used for a Football game and got just under 2,000.

The supposed capacity is 12,200 with a 1,500 seat grandstand. The other three sides are plain hills.

It's been built to NRL Standards with corporate boxes, broadcast box, electronic score board, entry tunnel, player facilities and TV standard lighting.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Not sure. The stadium has already been used for a Football game and got just under 2,000.

The supposed capacity is 12,200 with a 1,500 seat grandstand. The other three sides are plain hills.

It's been built to NRL Standards with corporate boxes, broadcast box, electronic score board, entry tunnel, player facilities and TV standard lighting.

Sounds like a cracking ground.

seanoff

Juniors
There are I believe 5 venues outside existing NRL clubs areas that would get over 10k: Bluetongue at Gosford, MEC at Perth, The Caketin in Wellington, Christchurch and Waikato. If you cannot get 10k to Adelaide, you'd struggle to get near that in Darwin or Hobart.

get 10K easily in Darwin. FFS a nothing trial game in pouring rain got 9K at Richardson Park, what makes you think that 10K wouldn't turn up in the dry season for a decent game. 8500 turned up for what was basically an AFL cripple fight this year.

the game would have to be at TIO, as it has TV standard lighting, corp facilties, a dining area for up to 300, bar with field view with the same capacity, the screens are already here for the AFL, V8s, Darwin Cup etc, full press, TV and radio facilities, etc etc. Richardson Park would need too much work to bring it up to that standard altho it is a lovely venue, also it's in a difficult position for a big crowd.

a bit more research tells me in 1991 Penrith v Balmain drew 13,426 IN DARWIN.

Last edited: