What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moltzen retires

Tigerm

First Grade
ONE of rugby league’s genuine hard luck stories has run its course, with Manly’s Tim Moltzen forced into retirement at the age of 27 due to a series of chronic injuries.

Recruited by the Sea Eagles on a second-tier contract over the off-season, former Tigers prodigy Moltzen suffered further damage to his knee while training last month, with arthritis leaving his joint as effectively bone on bone.

Doctors have told Moltzen another round of surgery could impact upon his quality of life without having any affect on the injury.

The utility back thanked coach Trent Barrett and the Sea Eagles for taking a punt on him late last year and their attempts to get him back to full fitness.

“I would like to thank Trent Barrett, the Manly coaching staff, my teammates, and the Manly
administration for sticking by me, and giving me the chance to prove myself, both mentally and physically,” Moltzen said.

“Their faith in me has meant the world.

“It is very disappointing at 27 to call it a day and by no means was it an easy decision.

“It was definitely not something I wanted to do, but it is something I have been forced to do.

“It has been a bitter pill to swallow. The hard truth is there is nothing I can do. The cards have been dealt this way.

“Although it hurts, by no means am I disappointed with the journey I have been on in rugby
league because it has introduced me to some wonderful people who I would never have met.”

As a result he is reluctantly hanging up the boots, pulling the pin on his bid to return to first grade for the first time since round seven, 2013.

The former Country Origin fullback played in the Sea Eagles Auckland Nines campaign in February and had been on the comeback trail from a dislocated elbow sustained in NSW Cup in round two.

His latest knee blow out is the final straw for the man once touted as Benji Marshall’s long term halves partner at Concord.

Between 2008 and 2013 Moltzen turned out in 90 games for the Tigers, with a ruptured left ACL ending his 2010 season after just five games.

After two successful years with the Tigers that had him mentioned as a possible NSW Origin contender, Moltzen again tore the same ACL in 2013, and then suffered a shattered knee cap the following pre-season.

The frustration continued with a staph infection picked up during rehab going undiagnosed for four months before further AC joint and elbow injuries brought his time at the Tigers to a close.

With a move to the northern beaches it was hoped a fresh start would see Moltzen turn around his wretched run and get back on the paddock.

But with time being called on his NRL career, Moltzen will assume an off-field role with the Sea Eagles for the remainder of the year while considering his options.

Clifferd

Coach
Was always a lot of what ifs with this bloke, definitely had talent but the guy was the unluckiest person in the world with injuries

Best of luck

Tiger05

First Grade
He had some talent didn't he. He was quick and could run a good line. I wonder how he would have gone without injuries.

macnaz

Staff member
Give him full credit for perseverance, definitely had some talent in the halves . Sheenius pretty well f**ked his career

You dont wish injuries on any body,Timid had ability but he also had a reluctance to put his body on the line in both A&D.

BrotherJim05

Bench
As a person: It really is a gut wrenching story. Say what you want of him as a player but he honestly tried his best to get himself back into FG form. There were a number of games when he was in top form, particularly playing fullback in 2011 (I think). There were moments where he reminded me of Billy Slater. Shame to see such a promising career cut short.

As a armchair/fantasy football critic: retaining Moltzen alongside signing Adam Blair was the start of our downard spiral into madness. We let go key forwards to gain these players and we copped it big time.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should've let him go to the dragons when he still had footy in him.

18 good months of footy. A lot like Moses. Shit tonnes of potential. Never cashed it in.

Fordy20

Juniors
I reckon he was ruined by Sheens playing him at fullback. He played off Benji really well in the halves and although he tried to make a fist of fullback, it's not an easy job. Even blokes like Dugan and Inglis are failing as elite fullbacks.

Should've let him go to the dragons when he still had footy in him.

18 good months of footy. A lot like Moses. Shit tonnes of potential. Never cashed it in.

Pretty much echoes my opinion. Had a real opportunity to go to the Dragons on reasonable coin and guaranteed starting spot. Catted out and his career went down the shitter as a result.