What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Money!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imasharkie

Coach
I am in Rockhampton this week and they don't get the herald up here so,yeh, fill us in. This post comes from BTR so is it anything to do with noddy?

Genius Freak

Juniors
Someone on the Roo tour took $4000 from the players. The NRL is investigating it as being an inside job.

Frenzy

Juniors
blacktip-reefy said:
Was there someone on the Roo tour that was or is expecting to be short of money?

Read more on P2 Sun Herald.

Who was the biggest gambler there? Will the culprit have to face Webcke and give him back his cash?

In short, $4,000 of players money was stolen on the Kangaroo tour. Chief suspect is one of the players themselves.

Foz

Bench
I heard an ABC radio report that Geoff Carr (tour manager) hasnt ruled out a player has done this. On Peter Peters show someone mentioned this and as you can imagine they were reluctant to talk about it.
They said a player's name has already been mentioned in association with this but wont comment.
Only player I've read speaking about this was Shane Webcke who just said he wants his money back.

wittyfan

Referee
I wonder who the player could be though, it seems to be a real who-dun-it! :)

It's amazing though as these players earn several times that of the average person per year and still have to poach some extra doe off others. [-(

I think it's pretty obvious they knew who did it but cant nail them for lack of evidence. Hopefully the rumour gets out sooner or later.

chileman

Coach
Frenzy said:
Who was the biggest gambler there? Was Cliff Lyons on tour?
Frenzy....I do think you have great witt and a good sense of humour but as a friend of Cliff Lyons who reads these forums...I seem to have lost the humour in that stab amigo! I seem to recall that in rugby league there are probably 4000 past and present players that like to gamble amigo...Cliffy Lyons enjoyed the odd flutter but also loves his sport and isn't a thief!

Telegraph:

THE player rumoured to be at the centre of Kangaroo tour theft allegations became a social outcast towards the end of the trip.

It can also be revealed that tour vice-captain Robbie Kearns, and Craig Gower were the two players along with Shane Webcke who had money stolen on the tour.

Kearns lost a total of £900 ($2107) – over a 10-day period – after the thief found his money hidden in a small brief case in a side compartment of his travelling luggage.

An elaborate sting operation involving hidden video cameras in the players' rooms was set up at the team's Marriott Hotel, but it failed to turn up the thief.

The player rumoured to be at the middle of allegations was unable to be contacted yesterday. However it can be revealed his welcome within the team had worn out by tour's end.

Also, Kangaroo captain Darren Lockyer, as well as other players on tour, have revealed they are unsure whether they had money stolen because they did not keep an accurate count.

"I don't know whether I had money taken or not, I wasn't really counting," said Lockyer, who kept his money in a drawer beside his bed.

"Being the captain of the team I just wanted to listen to what the other players, who did have money taken, had to say to team management."

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr expected to receive a report from tour manager Gerard Raper yesterday, however Raper is waiting to talk to players still to return from overseas before submitting the report.

A frustrated Carr said the matter needed to be resolved as quickly as possible.

"We are happy to come clean on what we think may or may not have happened but now we need time to investigate it properly," he said.

"But one of the problems we have got now is the fact that, while we haven't tried to protect anyone, now we have got people ringing up blaming different players who are definitely not involved."

One player, an innocent party, has been wrongly mentioned as a suspect.

Trouble began early in the tour when a trainer believed he had money missing but remained quiet, unsure whether he had misplaced it or even spent it.

Then towards the tour's end Kearns noticed that he had £400 ($937) missing from his room.

"I had been keeping an eye on my money and at first I thought I must have miscounted when it appeared that £400 was missing," he said.

"Then I counted it again a couple of days later and noticed another £500 [$1170] was gone.

"That was when the senior players got together and worked out that something was going on."

Kangaroos debutant Trent Waterhouse has also revealed his Second Test jumper was stolen from his room.

"I don't know whether I had money taken or not but I would have rather had money taken than my jumper," Waterhouse said.

Kearns met Lockyer and Webcke to discuss the situation and they decided to take the matter to management.

"After we spoke to Gerard Raper they decided it would be a good idea to set up a bit of a sting, but they only did it for one day," Kearns said.

Video cameras were set up in the players' rooms but were unable to provide any convincing evidence.

But by then suspicions had began to focus on one player.

Players were paid £100 per day, tax free, for the tour, up from a £70 daily allowance on previous tours.

They received the stipend fortnightly at the beginning of the tour, however by the time the Roos had moved to Leeds they were being paid weekly.

The process worked by Raper withdrawing the money from a bank account before dealing it out to the players at the hotel.

To prevent players carrying large amounts of cash they were given the option of a deferred payment, or to use the hotel's safes and security boxes.

This process will now be reviewed.

"We'll review that process now since some players were determined to keep too much money in their rooms," Carr said.

Carr said he was not certain Leeds police are aware of the matter but expected them to be so.

He said the matter was handled by the Kangaroos' security officer Gary Haigh, a former Yorkshire inspector.

"There's no way Gary would have handled this in isolation," he said.

beerboy

Juniors
using my Scooby Doo detective skills
if Trent Waterhouse did have his 2nd Test Jersey that would possibly be stolen by someone without one!! haha either a player who missed out or non player

or maybe there just gonna sell it

Objective One

Juniors
Wasn't there a similar rumour/story a few years back at the Sharks but it involved money out of players' gear in the change rooms either at a game or training? Was it true? What happened with that one if it was? Did the alleged player stay at the club or move on? Was he a back or a forward? Does anyone on this forum know him?

If the jersey thief was the same as the money thief, and there's no way of knowing if it was, I reckon you could rule out anyone who is not a debutante.

Telegraph:
Accused player threatens to sue

December 10, 2003

THE player at the centre of the Kangaroo thief scandal has taken legal advice after claiming he is innocent.

He will now wait until the ARL receives its report from tour manager Gerard Raper before deciding what option to take next.

His manager, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, said the player only became aware yesterday that he was the suspect at the centre of allegations.

He received support from Kangaroo vice-captain Robbie Kearns, who called him to offer his support, saying he believed the player was innocent.

"He is absolutely shattered," his manager said last night.

The player also revealed that he had English pounds and Australians dollars stolen himself, which he claimed he brought to the attention of team management.

His legal threat came to light as it emerged yesterday that marked bills and pin-hole cameras were part of the elaborate sting that failed to catch the Kangaroo thief.

Raper is awaiting a report from former Yorkshire police inspector Gary Haigh before he submits his report to ARL boss Geoff Carr, but confirmed last night the suspect was unlikely to be caught after failing to take the bait.

When the operation failed Haigh said he believed it was because the thief had a lot of experience and sensed something was amiss.

He failed to go near a player's luggage that had a pinhole camera hidden above it with marked English pounds hidden inside.

The thief's experience was also apparent in his ability to find the stolen money, which was often well hidden by the players, and by how they also left no trace.

The sting, which came at the end of the tour, was set up professionally with the aid of hotel management, who will also submit a report to Raper and who have heavy experience in catching hotel thieves.

Despite this, Raper is not confident either report will provide enough evidence to catch the thief.

"We're looking at people and it could be anyone in Leeds," he said.

"There's a lot of finger pointing, at one bloke in particular, but if someone wants to name him then that person has got to come up with concrete evidence.

"We know the fact money was stolen but by who or by whom is another thing."

While the rooms and hallways at the Marriott Hotel in Leeds did not have surveillance cameras, the elevators did, the hidden camera was placed in a player's room with his permission.

While the trap was set, the thief stayed away.

Raper said his report would be on Carr's desk by 11.30am Friday as the ARL continues to reel under the embarrassment of the incident.

"I know it is frustrating but until we can piece all the little bits of information together and determine whether we have got a case or we haven't, we can't for a story, say it may or may not be true," Carr said.

"He is absolutely shattered," his manager said last night.
Sounds like a young bloke.

The player also revealed that he had English pounds and Australians dollars stolen himself,
A likely story.

which he claimed he brought to the attention of team management.
Sure sure

My suspicions remain trained on a certain young bloke.

From the SMH: ""He is denying that he is involved in anything," the player's manager said yesterday."

Strange quote. Why not just say "he wasnt involved in anything"?

And why wont the player speak for himself? Too scared? Too stupid? TOO PATHETIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts