What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Clubs added to the Victoria Rugby League Comp in 2009

joshreading

Staff member
Werribee Bears - Does the new RL Club have anything to do with the Union Club - eg. Players/Officials coming back to RL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great to see the grass roots growing. Looking forward to the day a Vic player debuts for the Storm.

cougar

Juniors
From the trial games they've had couldn't see any ex-officials involved with moving the Tigers across to union. Players here switch between the two codes regularly, but a lot of the ones I saw are from league - juniors or seniors - few ex Roosters 1st grade players so they have some experience out there - whereas the Craigieburn side so fay have struggled with only a couple of them really have any league knowledge.

The Werribee Bears have nothing to do with the Wyndham City Rhino's Rugby Union Club (Officials, commitee members). Our club has its own identity with its own commitee, officials, members etc.. We have had players from their club enquring about the Werribee Bears. We have certainly not poached any players from the Rhinos. Its totally up to the individual on what code they would like to play, we are only offering another code within the Werribee/Hoppers/Wyndham areas for people to choose from. So far we have had a great response from people around the area. Our senior side is up and running strong and is ready for its first year in the VRL for 2009. Our juniors are coming along really well to with teams being entered in the U7, U8, U10, U12, U14 & U16's and a girls Oztag team for 2009. Also in the Senior section we would like to put in a Colts, Masters & Womens Oztag teams for next year. Our club has been really busy this year with alot of upcoming events happening with the club, they are:

OCT 2008 - FEB 2009 - Our Senior side has entered in the Melbourne City OZtag Mens Compitition which is played through the summer period on Wednesday Nites at Royal Park. We have done this to keep our first grade team fit and still be bounded as a team ready for next year season.

OCT 2008 - FEB 2009 - We will be entering our juniors into the westside touch compitition.

SAT NOV 22nd 2008 - Polynesian Family Day
The Werribee Police have approched the Werribee Bears to help put on a Polynesian Family Day to help the polynesian youth within the community. their will be events happening on the day.
OzTag Game:
Werribee Police vs The Polynesian Youths (Men & Women's mixed teams)
Exhibition Rugby League Game:
Werribee Bears vs Craigeburn Pheinox.
Venue: TBA.

SUN NOV 22rd 2008 - Werribee Bears Musta/Registration Day
The Werribee Bears will be having a Musta/Registration Day at President Park, Wyndham Vale. We asking for people who are intrested in playing in the Juniors & Seniors sides for 2009 to come along on that day and find out what the club is all about. and register with the club. anyone is invited to come along, There will be a free B.B.Q and games of OzTag/touch.
TIME: TBA

melbourne_belle

Juniors
From the trial games they've had couldn't see any ex-officials involved with moving the Tigers across to union. Players here switch between the two codes regularly, but a lot of the ones I saw are from league - juniors or seniors - few ex Roosters 1st grade players so they have some experience out there - whereas the Craigieburn side so fay have struggled with only a couple of them really have any league knowledge.

The coach is an ex Roosters player and the majority of the junior teams will have a few Rooster boys.

Good to see a league side trying to get back into Werribee. Will the home ground be out of Presidents Park where the rego day is being held? The police/Polynesian youth day should be good too. Will that be played at Presidents Park too? Should get a good turn out. Go the Polynesian youth!

Sweet, been wondering what was the go with this as I had heard there was a side coming in. Might wander down and check it out at the rego day to see what it's all about

How are people meant to know about it though - the VRL website still has nothing on it I can find, and I haven't been able to find anything in a local paper or anything either.
I've never played, but am contemplating it, so been trying to find out some info. Thankfully some info has been posted on here!

melbourne_belle

Juniors
How are people meant to know about it though - the VRL website still has nothing on it I can find, and I haven't been able to find anything in a local paper or anything either.
I've never played, but am contemplating it, so been trying to find out some info. Thankfully some info has been posted on here!

The VRL website is hopeless, the VRL is almost as hopeless as its website, but thats another issue all together lol

If you want details about the next training session or something, I know the coach so if you want I will PM you dets about when and where, just let me know.
A lot of it has been word of mouth at the moment.

LESStar58

Referee
Hmmmmm.... I'm too old to play. Might see if I can get a referees accreditation and loan my services to the VRL.

saint-colesy

Juniors
Yeah its decent but it would be a prick of a thing for the players that have to travel across the state every weekend.

I play senior footy for Hervey Bay and travelling to bundy every second week is bad enough.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Yeah its decent but it would be a prick of a thing for the players that have to travel across the state every weekend.

I play senior footy for Hervey Bay and travelling to bundy every second week is bad enough.

The majority of the teams dont have to travel very far, not unresonable anyway.
The bulk of the games are played at Altona, Waverley, Berwick, Casey etc and they aren't that far apart.
The teams that are further away will be hardest hit as they will be travelling a lot almost everyweek.

saint-colesy

Juniors
Thats fair enough then, Bundy aint that far from me (only 2 hours max) but when your doing that twice every second week it gets the better of you.

In saying that, the free booze on the way home was always a winner

cougar

Juniors
The difference between the VRL website and this forum is this forum's purpose is to see the great game of Rugby League develop, prosper and thrive in Victoria - which leaves the game's future in the hands of the many unpaid lovers of the game both here and at grass roots level week in week out, not in corporate offices who appear to be operating under a different agenda.

cougar

Juniors
Considering the NRL doesn't spend enough on victoria rugby league development, its pretty good.

It's not so much the amount that is being spent in Victoria it has more to do with the amount of money being effectively spent. The expenditure must been utilised to aid in the positive growth in the number of players at both junior and senior level before the development programs can be considered successful.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Ok this may be stupid question but I think we need some suggestions for this.

What is the Storm doing to grow RL in Vic, and what more could they be doing?