What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most important decision for the last 10 years.

Timbo

Staff member
Will be who we get now that Campo is gone.

We are coming off massive momentum here. We fire again next year and we're established in the top tier of teams for a long time.

We fail and we could lose all the benifits we've gained from this season.

We HAVE to recruit one of Orford, Gower or Dobson. All three of them have played 100+ top level games. They have the necessary skills to control a team, the same way that Campese does.

Mick Picker has played an ordinary season for Souths-Logan. He is not the answer. Sam Williams is fantastic at TC level, but he isn't ready either.

McCrone is still very much a work in progress. He's getting better, but he needs another season before he'll have the ability to control a team on his own. Asking him to control the team whilst Sam Williams is finding his feet next to him could undo all of this years good work.

Here's what would be a catastrophy - this time next year sitting around going 'how good would this season have been if we'd had Campo'. Shame we had no one to control the team.

Management has done a great job in recruitment and retention so far. Hopefully they step up and make the right call here.

I agree that we need to capitalise on the momentum of this season.

Id be happy with Williams/Orford or Dobbo.

Where we will struggle with any of the above three is Campo's defence. He has been brilliant on the left handside in defence , Any slack in defence will need to be picked up by Picker and co, a big ask.

I dont see the transfer fee been a huge deal , just pay it and get Orford.
As for Dobbo , he has been real good in the ESL , Id believe he would of matured and developed as a footy player since he last worn green. Would he want to come back ? I dont know.

Williams is raw but I think he would be able to do the job , push McCrone to 5/8 and let Sammy run the show. There will be weeks were his form will dip and this would be expected for a rookie.

One thing for sure this needs to be sorted now , before pre-season starts. this would give us maximum time to get it right before the season kicks off.

We dont need another Ricky Stuart/Steve Stone situation.

typicalfan

Coach
Need to make a decision. If you go with Williams and he backfires you are stuck with someone like Tongue at 7. Orford and Gower bring premiership credentials and although they are a stop gap solution the fact that Williams is there means there isn't really a reason to get a long term half like Dobson.

Gower is the biggest risk but is the biggest reward if he comes back fresh.

typicalfan

Coach
The other thing about Gower people forget is he can play 7 or 9 equally.

Imagine him teaching McCrone the trade and when Campo came back throw him in the 9 and have all 3. Possiblity?

aussies1st

Staff member
Now that I think more about it Gower would be very handy since Buttriss appears to be leaving. Worst case but a pretty good one is throwing Williams in until Campo returns. He will learn a lot more about his game in the big time and if hes not quite ready then Campo slips straight in else there is competition for the halfback spot.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
lets get dobsob, cause we saw what he did before, and I remember the guy almost made origin..oh wait he didnt..he stunk.

Why do you guys constantly mention a player that did not and does not perform in the NRL?? We got rid of him mid season, that is how bad he is.

Now that I think more about it Gower would be very handy since Buttriss appears to be leaving. Worst case but a pretty good one is throwing Williams in until Campo returns. He will learn a lot more about his game in the big time and if hes not quite ready then Campo slips straight in else there is competition for the halfback spot.

Why is Butts leaving , he just signed a 1 year deal

legend

Coach
Orford should be first choice and Dobson most certainly not an option. He can't tackle to save himself and we have a sharpshooter in Croker.

Timbo

Staff member
Orford should definitely be first choice, but I'll say this - Michael Dobson is not the same player he was when he was last here.

Dobbo was a rookie with us , he has gained valuable experience.

No matter who we have they wont defend anywhere near as good as Campo.

I like Dobbos kicking game and having the best pack in front of him should enable him to perform.

Im not fussed , Id have Dobbo or Orford.

Orford > Gower IMO. I'd rather a guy that has actually been playing league recently and has only been out of the NRL for 1 season.

Never really been sure about Dobson. Before he came to us after his first stint in England he was setting the world on fire, yet for us he was ordinary. Dunno... He'd still be a decent option but I'd rather Orford if possible

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Orford/Gower i don't mind either way, just hope we get someone and it doesn't drag on to long, we have six months to get a combination happening with Josh McCrone, whoever it is, and hopefully Joey Johns will still be helping the halves in the off-season.

Orford would be ideal but:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-matt-for-orford/story-e6frexnr-1225928590534

Ozzy seems pretty confident. Although he's missed a few targets lately.

Gower I wouldn't mind as well. He'd be pretty fresh playing that pansy game in France. A full off-season and his League instinct will kick in. I dont doub't his ability to come back at all. I have doubts over Dobbo though. He was damn near man of steel the first year we sent him over there. He came back and was pretty average. I don't see how it would be different this time around. I'd welcome him back as he's a Raiders jr but my expectations won't be high.

I think Williams/Campo for sure in 2012 though.

Timbo

Staff member
Also, a lot of people have been knocking Gower because he's 'only' been playing Union. Top 14 isn't park footy, it's a very high standard and he's not been playing badly at all.

schnitzel

Juniors
Parra is also a lot closer to the Central coast, one of the main reasons he bailed on ESL was to be closer to his family there....:?

mongoose

Coach
Dobson wouldn't be too bad. He does have some organising ability and a good short kicking game. He just can't tackle for sh*t and has no running game. In other words he is basically a clone of Luke Walsh.

I don't think i would want Gower... If I remember he was pretty poor before he left to go play french rugby, I also don't think his heart would be in it.

Orford would definitely be good and Moltzen would be extremely good.