What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Overrated Big Name Recruits

Old Timer

Coach
Throw a oldie at you.The dragons brought Dick Huddart from England in 1964 for a record fee at the time.The Dragons were all cashed up ( the Leagues club was at it's peak then ) and the rumor was they only got him so that other clubs didn't. Didn't play bad and kept his first grade spot but was nowhere near the player who distroyed Australia 2 years earlier and he was on more money than Langlands , Smith & Provan.

The other stupid signings were Hawthorne & Branson as they were on big money and played the same positions !!

Branson was dubbed "the mud lark" from the 67 Kangaroos as he had a blinder in the atrocious conditions but never lived up to the expectation back here.

Allan McKean left us went to Easts and then came back as we were evidently looking for a "sidestepping" full back to replace Changa. Trouble was Chang could side step off either foot.

st.phil

Bench
Oh bronson harrison was so bad...but he was not a big name. I think Beale was a huge flop...came with such huge wraps...Pricey said he could be the next lockyer

Hutty1986

Immortal
Most players struggle after coming from Melbourne, because their system is so incredibly good; their coach won't accept mediocrity and you've got Smith/Slater/Cronk making everyone else in the side look about three times better than their actual ability.

I rate the bloke and his efforts in the semi last year were terrific, but for what we're paying him (a f**king lot), Widdop hasn't quite lived up to the hype. Few games last year during the Origin period you'd expect a player like that to stand up and come up with the plays to win the game. Has played some blinders for us, sure, but on the whole I think he has improvement in him.

Puff2010

Juniors
Totally ridiculous to say Widdop is over rated, must surely be a joke!

Totally agree. Gareth has been a fantastic signing and we can build a team around him, particularly now that we have a pack that won't roll over (or backwards ) easy. No doubt Mary believes so, hence the Captaincy

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Gareth Widdop is a joke and by some measure the most over-rated half in the game. Last nights key-stone cops performance included an air-swing (I think he was trying to kick the ball), the mandatory few missed tackles and a couple of runs across the field.

Hey but here is an idea, let's build a team around this clown. Whata a dud!

Exsilium

First Grade
Gareth is definitely not overrated but he is far from an elite half. I think he'd perform better if the forwards ran more sequenced lines and decoys. He needs the team to allow him the time and options to create opportunities. Right now the line is too flat, decoy runs are not baiting the opposition and the passing is telegraphed.

He's not an organizer and that's fine, find a 7, get rid of rein and he'll be far more notable in attack.

pinkmoon

Juniors
The funniest thing about Widdop is the way he carries himself like he is some sort of a messiah. We will win a game 1 point to nil against the worst team in the competition and he will watch his field goal go over with that steely eye glare and then turn his back nonchalantly and jog back to his post like he has just completed the most remarkable feat ever performed on a football field. He thinks he is a really cool customer but he is just a phoney.

He had a simple role at Melbourne involving taking on the line or feeding the edge when the defence was on him and that was it. His running game was effective because he had speed and a good step. My worst fears have been realised; that hip injury did the same thing to Widdop that it did to Chris Lawrence; took all their speed.

Drop Widdop to reserve grade where he belongs so he can crab across field for 80 minutes.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Pink Moon, thanks buddy. Someone else has woken up to the Widdop fraud. If we are paying this idiot $600K a year then shame on us. He is so ordinary.

I try to offer some level of balance critique but Widdop is doing my head in. I got a sense that he was over-rated last year and this year has confirmed it. He is absolutely terrible!

It does show how effective the Melbourne Storm's structure is (and how well coached they are) in that pedestrian plodders like Widdop and Mann can look effective within the confines of that structure. Take then out of that structure and put them in an average to poor team and they are "ordinary and poor".

Here is a depressing thought...we are paying Widdop and Mann a combined salary of $1,000,000.00 PA. Throw in Rein on $400,000.00PA and you start getting suicidal.

Get rid of these 3 clowns and spend the money on players who are creative and can open spaces for the rest of the team. We are doomed with these 3 donkeys!

BennyV

Referee
Pink Moon, thanks buddy. Someone else has woken up to the Widdop fraud. If we are paying this idiot $600K a year then shame on us. He is so ordinary.

I try to offer some level of balance critique but Widdop is doing my head in. I got a sense that he was over-rated last year and this year has confirmed it. He is absolutely terrible!

It does show how effective the Melbourne Storm's structure is (and how well coached they are) in that pedestrian plodders like Widdop and Mann can look effective within the confines of that structure. Take then out of that structure and put them in an average to poor team and they are "ordinary and poor".

Here is a depressing thought...we are paying Widdop and Mann a combined salary of $1,000,000.00 PA. Throw in Rein on $400,000.00PA and you start getting suicidal.

Get rid of these 3 clowns and spend the money on players who are creative and can open spaces for the rest of the team. We are doomed with these 3 donkeys!

Few points:

1) The fall from grace of Widdop and Mann isn't due to how wonderful the Storm system is. It's due to how poor our system is. Widdop plays under Bennett or Hasler, he would look infinitely better. Hell, his first few games for us saw him racking up Dally M points and setting up line breaks at will, until 'Dragons footy' coached the skill out of him.

2) How much do you think Mann is on. The reported figure was around $250k...not sure how good yours maths is, but still...

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Benny V, I respect your opinion and I would love to be wrong regarding Widdop. Unfortunately I am right. He is an absolute freaking donkey mate. An over-rated plodding donkey.

I understand that Mann is on closer to $400K to $250K. This comes from a close friend who is a player manager. The Storm were only prepared to pay him $250K....we were suckered in at $400K. Can you believe we are paying $400K for a NSW Cup Player?

A shambles and a debacle Benny V. The sooner Widdop asks for (and is granted) a release the better. He is a fraud.

duck

Juniors
The funniest thing about Widdop is the way he carries himself like he is some sort of a messiah. We will win a game 1 point to nil against the worst team in the competition and he will watch his field goal go over with that steely eye glare and then turn his back nonchalantly and jog back to his post like he has just completed the most remarkable feat ever performed on a football field. He thinks he is a really cool customer but he is just a phoney.
Clearly the dumbest post I've read on this forum all week. Congratulations.

BennyV

Referee
Benny V, I respect your opinion and I would love to be wrong regarding Widdop. Unfortunately I am right. He is an absolute freaking donkey mate. An over-rated plodding donkey.

I understand that Mann is on closer to $400K to $250K. This comes from a close friend who is a player manager. The Storm were only prepared to pay him $250K....we were suckered in at $400K. Can you believe we are paying $400K for a NSW Cup Player?

A shambles and a debacle Benny V. The sooner Widdop asks for (and is granted) a release the better. He is a fraud.

We shall see. I can see Widdop asking for said release, going to Bulldogs to play outside Mbye and killing it under Hasler.

OUr coaching and systems are set up to fail. No changing of players can help us until that is sorted.