What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies You Dont Understand Why Everyone Raves About Them

Coaster

Bench
I will admit i really liked the first matrix, although i was disappointed that the end of the second movie he didnt awake from the "second" reality, with the flying ships, as i thought as he was the key it should have meant he was the first to wake (properly).

and would then go on to find the computers had created a backup reality in case of failure, and would try and save humanity from it ect.

I couldnt swallow the whole time loop scenario, and the rest of it was even more downhill

sydraider

First Grade

Star Trek 09 shat all over it from a great height, better actors, better plot, better execution.

gronkathon

First Grade
Avatar is up there. I appreciated it for it's visual effects but I just don't get the hype about it being a "great film" Whereas The Abyss was groundbreaking technology it still was held together by a compelling plot and characters. Avatars plot seemed to revolve around getting more SE onto the screen. The directors skill with actors is probably all that separates Avatar from a Lucas CGI sh*tfest prequel film.

I never understood the hype about A Clockwork Orange. I get it to an extent but maybe I had to be from the era of it's release to truly appreciate the gravitas of the film. A big f**k you to the friends who told me Eyes Wide Shut was a must see though.

I find alot of cult films are very much of a certain period of life. For example I sat through Eraserhead more than once during my initial Uni years and we drank and tried to decipher the hidden meanings afterwards. A decade down the track I can't believe I sat through the original screening.

Godfather and Thin Red Line are two of my favourite films of all time. They take the time needed to convey there point. Alot of movies these days leave me feeling ripped off, like big sections of character development were left on the cutting room floor. I suppose they just hope it is successful enough to warrant a sequel.

Sophies Choice is the big one for me though. Streep overacted the sh*t out of that movie for mine and it was very poorly directed. There are many fine films about that period in history and indeed the Holocaust itself but I could never understand the hype about that one