What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 100 day sugar free challenge.

Edward

Juniors
Quick question. I don't eat sweets or drink fizzy drinks or cereals or the like. I think my sugar intake is very healthy. However, in the past year I've substituted sugar for Equal in my coffee. Is Equal as bad as everyone makes out, because I love a sweet taste in my coffee. Would I be better going back to one tea spoon of sugar instead of two sachets of Equal per cup? Am I being too pedantic worrying about 2-3 tea spoons of sugar per day?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Aspartame is one of the most tested substances of all time. Its all ok. Would you like some sources saying its ok

God-King Dean

Immortal
111227022048-chocolate-candy-bar-story-top.jpg

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's talk like this of cutting out sugar or carbs that makes me question the sanity of the die hards. What's the point of living to 105 if you're doing it eating lentil soup and quinoa salad?

*eating lentil soup and quinoa salad and being an annoying wanker

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its the ones who are so wrapped up in the church of the carbs that they gobble down a metric ton of saturated fat because its "healthy" are my favourite.

Also I contend that the modern western diet contains vastly more protein than the prehistoric one which would have been carb heavy. Just not refined sugars.

There is a reason we have evolved to use glucose as our primary source of energy.

That said this thread is about sugar specifically and not about low carbs or fantastical guesses at what early man ate.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I'm not anti carbs. My main fuel source is carbs. Toil much protein is just expensive piss. The amino group of the AA will be weed out while the rest I'd used tho make glucose molecules or acetyl coA people think just because AA are the building block of muscles the more protein they eat the more muscle they'll build, that's not the case.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Carbs are my biggest vice. I'm certain I'm addicted to them. Bloody hard to avoid them when the only western foods here tend to be sandwiches, pasta, or pizza.

I'm not anti carbs either. If I'm going for a long run tomorrow or a big gym session, I'll eat pasta or rice the night before. I have a couple of slices of wholemeal toast for breakfast most mornings as well. I just try not to overload on such things. Too much of anything is no good.

If I'm not working out or running tomorrow, I'll try not to eat carbs after lunch today. That said, if I happen to go somewhere like a friends or something for dinner and they have cooked me potato or rice, I'm going to eat it, regardless of what I'm doing the next day.

I honestly think that the odd meal of carbs when you are on a diet is a good thing. They give you an energy boost and they make you feel full. Just cut back on them where possible.

Cliffhanger

Coach
The big problem is fructose when it's no in fruit. Fructose isn't detected by insulin so you can keep eating it without feeling full. In fruit it's not as big of an issue, because at least there's fiber in fruit and relative to the size of the fruit there's not that much sugar.

I cut out grains as much as I can because they don't fill me up and I feel better when I don't eat them.

I eat sweet potatoes though. Most of my meals involve meat and veggies, except breakfast, that's a coffee (100mls of full cream milk), 3 scrambled eggs, and smoothie (organic plain yogurt, frozen mango, chia seeds, and a bit of LSA)

Game_Breaker

Coach
The big problem is fructose when it's no in fruit. Fructose isn't detected by insulin so you can keep eating it without feeling full. In fruit it's not as big of an issue, because at least there's fiber in fruit and relative to the size of the fruit there's not that much sugar.

I cut out grains as much as I can because they don't fill me up and I feel better when I don't eat them.

I eat sweet potatoes though. Most of my meals involve meat and veggies, except breakfast, that's a coffee (100mls of full cream milk), 3 scrambled eggs, and smoothie (organic plain yogurt, frozen mango, chia seeds, and a bit of LSA)

Gluten intolerant?

Latest posts