What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2016 NSW Origin Team

betcats

Referee
hhmm.

This was Sterlo's team he picked last year. i distinctly remembering him picking Dugan on the wing. When it was announced that he would have a hand in team selection, i was not impressed. As you can see its not much different to the team I said would be picked.

1. Matt Moylan, 2 Josh Dugan, 3 Jack Bird, 4 Michael Jennings, 5 Blake Ferguson, 6 James Maloney, 7 Mitchell Pearce, 8 Aaron Woods, 9 Michael Ennis, 10 James Tamou, 11 Boyd Cordner, 12 Josh Jackson, 13 Beau Scott. Interchange: 14 Trent Merrin, 15 Bryce Cartwright, 16 David Klemmer, 17 Andrew Fifita.

If Sterlo is influencing - pearce will be there. so will jennings probably and any other parra player he can get in.

Source
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/blu...n/news-story/d44b7be74cc31f02fde397be6fba0fc6

Well atleast he left Gallen out, and that was prior to the series, things have changed now. Maloney had a great series including a good game at 7 partnered with Moylan who was good also. Teddy made his debut, Hayne is back. Bird had a good series including a solid game at centre. Even without Mansour there's no room in our back line to carry Dugan on the wing just because he was man of the series in 15. Dugans selection on the wing would of been fairly justified last year after his efforts in 15, but that doesn't last forever.

Clifferd

Coach
You're probably right. He will get picked.

He was the worst player of our backline and did nothing for the vast majority of the game. But then manages to score and "justify" his selection. A typical Jennings performance.

If frog was a nsw selector he would make sure half the Penrith team was there, including former Penrith players.

They are god amongst men

TheFrog

Coach
I was only taking the mickey out of Clifferd. Waqa could score three tries a game, tackle like a demon, and sell hotdogs in the western stand at Penrith Park at halftime, and he still wouldn't make it. Maybe next year.

Been done before. Joey played hooker multiple times at origin level

Look, it wouldnt be my first choice but its certainly worth considering

So what? Andrew Johns did it because they wanted Toovey in the side, but Johns was younger comparatively then to when he did it as opposed to the age Pearce is now. Also Johns was a far better tackler than Pearce is, Pearce is not the noted hitter in defence that Andrew Johns was. Further Johns is considered amongst one of the best players in the game. As such your reasoning is Pearce should be considered to play hooker for NSW because Johns did it? :rolleyes:

Pardon me if I don't agree with that logic.

As to Craig Gower, I think you will find he played a fair bit of hooker in his career, including 8 games starting at hooker in 1997, and 7 games in 1998. Do people forget he won the 2000 Dally M Hooker of the Year Award? Add in when he first played hooker at rep level, he did it within his first 3 seasons in first grade. As such he was much younger then than Pearce is now.

soc123_au

Staff member
So what? Andrew Johns did it because they wanted Toovey in the side, but Johns was younger comparatively then to when he did it as opposed to the age Pearce is now. Also Johns was a far better tackler than Pearce is, Pearce is not the noted hitter in defence that Andrew Johns was. Further Johns is considered amongst one of the best players in the game. As such your reasoning is Pearce should be considered to play hooker for NSW because Johns did it? :rolleyes:

As to Craig Gower, I think you will find he played a fair bit of hooker in his career, including 8 games starting at hooker in 1997, and 7 games in 1998. Do people forget he won the 2000 Dally M Hooker of the Year Award? Add in when he first played hooker at rep level, he did it within his first 3 seasons in first grade. As such he was much younger then than Pearce is now.

Its not like we have a lot to choose from. Who would you go with?

Farrah
Pros - Experience, can tackle
Cons - Selfish, proven failure, old, glory hound, sook

Wallace
Pros - Experienced, tough, team player, can tackle, pretty decent kicking game
Cons - Old

Peats
Pros - Youngish, can tackle, is used to wearing a jersey with 9 printed on the back
Cons - Over rated, little experience in pressure matches, made of glass

Pearce
Pros - Experience in pressure situations, can tackle, extra kicking option if Moylan is at 6, skillfull enough to capitalise on an attacking chance. Younger than Wal & Wobbie
Cons - Hasn't had a 9 printed on his jersey before, proven failure (at half), Dog show is off the cards as halftime entertainment.

Ennis
Pros - Would make Skeepe loose his shit, Crowd favourite
Cons - Retired

Caped Crusader

Juniors

Right so your reasoning against it is Pearce is too old, not a good defender and not the best player in the world?

Sorry, I don't agree with THAT logic

TheFrog

Coach
Wallace

Cons - Old
If that's the only thing going against him, then (at the risk of upsetting Clifferd) maybe they should look closely at him. Although his own club's supporters (some of them) call him Grandpa, he is 2.5 years younger than Smith and Thurston, and 2 years younger than Cronk, also 2 years younger than Robbie Farah (who I think will get the nod yet again). He looks as fit as a trout, to quote Warren Smith.

Maybe another con is that he fell into the position and maybe lacks experience as a 9. Durability might be another, even though he played all 26 games last season.

Pearce
Pros - skillfull enough to capitalise on an attacking chance.

Maybe it's time the Pearce-murders-overlap gif was posted again.

Last edited:

myrrh ken

First Grade
Y'all forgetting the propensity for nsw selectors to make dumb decisions. Ie to continue to select pearce and farah against all logic.

I didnt post pearce at 9 because it was my preference, but because he is likely to be chosen. But its better for nsw for him to be considered at 9 than 6 or 7

soc123_au

Staff member
If that's the only thing going against him, then (at the risk of upsetting Clifferd) maybe they should look closely at him. Although his own club's supporters (some of them) call him Grandpa, he is 2.5 years younger than Smith and Thurston, and 2 years younger than Cronk, also 2 years younger than Robbie Farah (who I think will get the nod yet again). He looks as fit as a trout, to quote Warren Smith.

Maybe another con is that he fell into the position and maybe lacks experience as a 9. Durability might be another, even though he played all 26 games last season.

Maybe it's time the Pearce-murders-overlap gif was posted again.

I'm trying to be objective & not pick too many Panthers. Reality is that if he is playing well again this year he should definitely be in the mix. I would still prefer if they went with a spine that has 5 years left in it though.

No need for the gif. We are all well aware of Pearce's shortcomings. I just think a lot of them would be negated at 9 and without the pressure to create too much.

myrrh ken

First Grade

You need to look at Toovs not Johns. He was the best halfback to switch to hooker for the Blues.

When Toovs and Johns played together, it was Toovs that was the dummy half even though he wore 7 on his back and he only played in position at scrums. They eventually switched numbers.

Only later on did he switch from halfback to Hooker for Manly.