What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My little rant of the week!!

Alba

Coach
Ok. First off, I'd like to say, this year is going to be SUCH a good year. I can feel it in my waters.

Now. When this year started for me I felt good. I don't know what was so different about the 1st Jan to the 31st December, but it was. I have kept up my positive attitude for over a month without slipping and that, for me, is amazing! I have put myself first in all areas and I feel free! BUT.. I booked my first overseas trip last Thursday. Was happy as a pig in sh*t for a whole 24 hours b4 someone nearly took it away from me. I have been told that my hols won't be approved and I will be required to hand in my resignation before leaving! I've been there 4.5 yrs and in that time have had a total of 4 wks holiday! What the hell is that crap! This is how I know I have turned a corner though. Because usually I'd break down and be upset and let it all get to me. Instead I'm looking for ways to save as much money as possible before I go so that I'm ok when I get back.

Hmmm.. Reading that all back it is pretty pointless for you to know and I considered jus deleting it and forgetting about it, but it took me a good 5mins to write, so I refuse!

Okay so I guess what I can ask is, have you ever reached a point in your life when you really know that you have grown as a person? (and I don't mean height wise or anything dirty!)..

Cloud9

Good on ya mate. You've really grown as a person when you can deal with adversity constructively without throwing your boss over the bridge. Sounds crass but its true.
Have a good holiday.

Garts

Bench
What bastards not giving you leave. Sounds like they need to cut costs and this gives them a easy way out for 1 persons salary.

Alba

Coach
Yeah well one would think that, but she said to me that they would have to replace me with another permanent. And that I'm more than welcome to apply as a casual when I get back. PFFT. Why not get a casual now and let me have my job when I get back. Wouldn't that be the easier option? I have to get my wording together and suggest that in a meeting this week.

C9- Yeah I started to have violent visions, but then I remembered my anger management classes and counted to 10 while taking deep breaths!!!! (and I'm not even joking).. lol

Cloud9

To answer your question, i really grew as a person when i left home and moved to Townsville, not knowing anyone and not having a place to stay (except for the motel). I had to develop resilience very quickly.

Apey

Staff member
Ok. First off, I'd like to say, this year is going to be SUCH a good year. I can feel it in my waters.

Now. When this year started for me I felt good. I don't know what was so different about the 1st Jan to the 31st December, but it was. I have kept up my positive attitude for over a month without slipping and that, for me, is amazing! I have put myself first in all areas and I feel free! BUT.. I booked my first overseas trip last Thursday. Was happy as a pig in sh*t for a whole 24 hours b4 someone nearly took it away from me. I have been told that my hols won't be approved and I will be required to hand in my resignation before leaving! I've been there 4.5 yrs and in that time have had a total of 4 wks holiday! What the hell is that crap! This is how I know I have turned a corner though. Because usually I'd break down and be upset and let it all get to me. Instead I'm looking for ways to save as much money as possible before I go so that I'm ok when I get back.

Hmmm.. Reading that all back it is pretty pointless for you to know and I considered jus deleting it and forgetting about it, but it took me a good 5mins to write, so I refuse!

Okay so I guess what I can ask is, have you ever reached a point in your life when you really know that you have grown as a person? (and I don't mean height wise or anything dirty!)..

I have reached the phase of knowing that I need to 'grow as a person'. Unfortunately I suspect the actual growth phase is separated by a few ridiculous yet inevitable phases appropriately named "To hell with it!" or "Maybe I should learn an instrument instead"

Sigh, one day... one day :fist:

Martli

Coach
How have you worked at a place for 4.5 years and only had 4 weeks holiday? What is the annual entitlement in Australia? We get 4 weeks annual leave in NZ minimum, and most employers will make sure you use a good chunk of it. 4 weeks over 4.5 years sounds like you should have a massive leave entitlement...

Skinner

Coach
Lovey, I think you need to have a yarn to the NSW Employment Commission.

From what I can see, you're being seriously dudded.

Yeah, considering they're asking you to resign just so you can go on holiday when you've only had 4 weeks out of the 16 you should have....

I'd go the pricks, big time.

Yeah, considering they're asking you to resign just so you can go on holiday when you've only had 4 weeks out of the 16 you should have....

I'd go the pricks, big time.

CORRECT!

If you have been there for four years you are ENTITLED to 16 weeks less the 4 you have already had. Your employer can knock back a request for holidays all in one hit, like you obviously want and even say that the only way you can take them all at that time is to leave the company. However, they will still have to pay you the 12 weeks you have owing, regardless. If you leave, you are still entitled to 12 weeks holiday pay.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Loz, thats sucky news :( sorry to hear you're having trouble, but glad to hear you are doing your best to keep smiling!!!

Moffo

Referee
depends on your work contract albs, did you get paid for the 4wks you had off? are you considered temp/casual/part time or full time? the rules differ a bit and unfortunately they can scam you with things like this

Alba

Coach
Na, unfortunately they aren't doing anything wrong. I have been there 4.5 years BUT only been a permanent since April 08. The annual entitlement is 4 wks, but as a casual it's unpaid. As a permanent I get 4 weeks a year PLUS an extra week for working 30 sundays (and Sunday is my rostered day on anyway).. So when I resign I will get paid out the outstanding annual leave (though I'm not sure if they also give loading in a payout).. it will only be like 4 wks because I have already used 2 weeks. The thing that stings is that I have seriously gone well outta my way to help them when they were in trouble. I made myself sick because I was working so much and not sleeping and I was getting depressed because all I was seeing was work and home. I suggested my idea today about the casual but it fell on deaf ears. It's okay though it's just going to push me into moving on earlier than I would have liked.

Na, unfortunately they aren't doing anything wrong. I have been there 4.5 years BUT only been a permanent since April 08. The annual entitlement is 4 wks, but as a casual it's unpaid. As a permanent I get 4 weeks a year PLUS an extra week for working 30 sundays (and Sunday is my rostered day on anyway).. So when I resign I will get paid out the outstanding annual leave (though I'm not sure if they also give loading in a payout).. it will only be like 4 wks because I have already used 2 weeks. The thing that stings is that I have seriously gone well outta my way to help them when they were in trouble. I made myself sick because I was working so much and not sleeping and I was getting depressed because all I was seeing was work and home. I suggested my idea today about the casual but it fell on deaf ears. It's okay though it's just going to push me into moving on earlier than I would have liked.

Yep as a former casual you are up the creek. Sounds like a dud place to work to me any way. Look at it as an opportunity to find somewhere better.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Since you took away my two joke options...Nope. I'm as small and annoying as ever.