What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my RLWC 2013 VENUES

saddog

Juniors
A few reports in media recently have convinced me the RFL are going to do very well to get the necessary government support. Apparently the UK govt have to foot the entire bill for the olympic village which was not their plan, meaning an extra commitment of something like $670M to the olympics, and the prospects of having to make up other shortfalls in this climate are very real. Also, with the IRB asking for ridiculous guarantees for hosting RWC, so many nations are not interested in the 2015 and 2019 events so it appears that UK will get the 2015 RWC. RLWC is positioned as the true meat in the sandwich here, and would undoubtedly be the third ranked event in terms of economic impact.

The upside is if the event had to be held in Aust again, I am confident that corporate and public awareness would be far greater, and an even more successful RLWC would result.

bender

Juniors
A few reports in media recently have convinced me the RFL are going to do very well to get the necessary government support. Apparently the UK govt have to foot the entire bill for the olympic village which was not their plan, meaning an extra commitment of something like $670M to the olympics, and the prospects of having to make up other shortfalls in this climate are very real. Also, with the IRB asking for ridiculous guarantees for hosting RWC, so many nations are not interested in the 2015 and 2019 events so it appears that UK will get the 2015 RWC. RLWC is positioned as the true meat in the sandwich here, and would undoubtedly be the third ranked event in terms of economic impact.

The upside is if the event had to be held in Aust again, I am confident that corporate and public awareness would be far greater, and an even more successful RLWC would result.

If Engand don't hold the event, I think that New Zealand (as the defending champions) might be a fair shout to host the event, with Australia having just a minor role, supporting the event.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
As others have pointed out we have had crowds of over 73,000 at the Old Wembley in 1992. We have also had big crowds over 50,000 at other internationals during the 1990s. Since Nigel Wood came to the fore in the RFL, the policy has been to lowball the international game, by putting it in small stadiums like JJB, KC, and Galpharm, or mini-stadiums (most ridiculously the 2009 4 Nations Australia vs NZ at The Stoop)

There is no reason why the success of the early 1990s internationals could not be replicated in 2013 if the conservative accountant Nigel Wood is not in charge of strategy and budgeting for the advertising. He is a notorious tightwad, who made sure that, after GB won the first Test against Australia in 2001, only a tiny amount of money was spent promoting the second Test (at Galpharm?). As a result of this miserable policy, the second Test did not sell out.

With a professional marketer in charge of promotion, and answerable to Richard Lewis, not Nigel Wood, we could get he 90,000 seats sold at Wembley for the final, and 50,000 plus for one semi-finals at Elland Road / Old Trafford, and perhaps another 19,000 - 35,000 at Toulouse if France makes it.

Last edited:

SaintScotty

Juniors
Quick question, if Wales, Ireland, Scotland and France make the RLWC in 2013, what are the chances of selling out games in their homelands respectively? I mean if we had a Wales game in Wales, an Ireland game in Ireland etc etc, would they be able to sell out the largest stadiums in those countries? Does RL have that popularity?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Quick question, if Wales, Ireland, Scotland and France make the RLWC in 2013, what are the chances of selling out games in their homelands respectively? I mean if we had a Wales game in Wales, an Ireland game in Ireland etc etc, would they be able to sell out the largest stadiums in those countries? Does RL have that popularity?

Not likely.

jim_57

Staff member

Depends on how good the national teams get by then but I would imagine it would be something like this for crowds.

France - 10-20,000
Wales - 5-20,000
Ireland 5-10,000
Scotland 5-10,000

IMO Wales will definatley get a few games, since it's in the UK and they are considered heartland. They could play one or two in smaller grounds like Rodney Parade and for their biggest game they should go for St Davids stadium which is 25,000 in Cardiff.

If Ireland or Scotland get a game they will target around 10,000 people I imagine.

SteveM

Juniors
Depends on how good the national teams get by then but I would imagine it would be something like this for crowds.

France - 10-20,000
Wales - 5-20,000
Ireland 5-10,000
Scotland 5-10,000

IMO Wales will definatley get a few games, since it's in the UK and they are considered heartland. They could play one or two in smaller grounds like Rodney Parade and for their biggest game they should go for St Davids stadium which is 25,000 in Cardiff.

If Ireland or Scotland get a game they will target around 10,000 people I imagine.

Scotland and Ireland struggled to get 1k for the qualifiers for the last WC. Also the next WC will most likely be in Nov which clashes with the November RU Internationals.

Best to stick to England and maybe a couple of games in Wales (even France).

jim_57

Staff member
Scotland and Ireland struggled to get 1k for the qualifiers for the last WC. Also the next WC will most likely be in Nov which clashes with the November RU Internationals.

Best to stick to England and maybe a couple of games in Wales (even France).

I imagine they would market a World Cup game much, much better than they did for the qualifiers though. By then they may also have teams at Championship level so if that's the case there should be a decent core of fans to rely on.

For what it's worth though I think it should stay in England with Wales playing all their games at home. I'm still undecided on France.

VictoryFC

Bench
I don't think theres any question that Eastlands will be upgraded to hover around 60,000, although I'm not sure if thats by 2013. Why not just host it at Old Trafford? United have happily let League use it before; better bet than getting it at the Emirates or Spurs new ground as someone suggested - that won't fly.

roughyedspud

Coach
Why not just host it at Old Trafford? United have happily let League use it before

under ferguson we've gone from having 3 games of RL played at old trafford (2 premiership finals + a test a year...to 1 game (grand final)...and thats too many...

i'd take eastlands over old trafford any day

VictoryFC

Bench
under ferguson we've gone from having 3 games of RL played at old trafford (2 premiership finals + a test a year...to 1 game (grand final)...and thats too many...

i'd take eastlands over old trafford any day

Fair enough yeah. I dunno though the issue with capacity would linger. A semi final at Eastlands is fine, but not a final. Unless as I said Eastlands is expanded to 60k by 2013.

What bothers me is that the rugby union WC has put football grounds as possible venues. Yet, it anyone allowed to even step on Twickenham? It just seems comical that a stadium built for rugby cant be used by a rugby code. I wish the English football clubs would tell rugby to go **** itself. Too bad football isn't as insular as rugby union over there.

Springs

First Grade
We have to stage a League test at Wembley soon to see if there is any merit left in the stadium as a test venue. The return of the Ashes would probably be perfect, although if the Ashes returns at all it looks like it will be in Australia 2012. If England win this year's 4 Nations then hosting Australia at Wembley for the first return test might be an idea. Wembley should be able to host the final and the opening match, like in 1995. 40,000+ should be fine, who cares about the critics. The final should draw at least 70,000 there.

If not hold the opening game at Manchester, either Old Trafford or City of Manchester, to get at least 40,000. That game will be against Australia. The game against New Zealand should be held at Elland Road or Wigan, while England's other group game should be at Wigan, Hull or Huddersfield.

If Wales make it they can not think of taking a game against Australia, England or New Zealand to Bridgend or Newport. Big games should be in Cardiff or Swansea. If they are in a lower group take it to Bridgend or Wrexham.

The Australia Vs New Zealand game should be held in the north (for once), once again Wigan, Hull or Huddersfield, with Headingley or St. Helens also an option.

The Ireland and Scotland games cannot be played in Ireland or Scotland until they at least get respectable crowds (and promotion) for the Euro Cup or World Cup qualifiers. Their games should be held in Widnes, Warrington, Salford and Castleford, along with the island nations.

France should probably be able to host some games, but the RFL could reeive a boost if the entire tournament was successfully held in the UK.

The finals can not be undersold again. Wembley should surely be the location of the Final if the RFL are serious about this tournament. Host the quarter finals at heartland venues like Huddersfield and Hull but the Semi finals should be at large grounds like Elland Road and Manchester, with the larger drawing final going to Manchester. Surely if England reach the final it will pull a respectable crowd at Wembley.

Acka

Coach
We have to stage a League test at Wembley soon to see if there is any merit left in the stadium as a test venue. The return of the Ashes would probably be perfect, although if the Ashes returns at all it looks like it will be in Australia 2012. If England win this year's 4 Nations then hosting Australia at Wembley for the first return test might be an idea. Wembley should be able to host the final and the opening match, like in 1995. 40,000+ should be fine, who cares about the critics. The final should draw at least 70,000 there.

If not hold the opening game at Manchester, either Old Trafford or City of Manchester, to get at least 40,000. That game will be against Australia. The game against New Zealand should be held at Elland Road or Wigan, while England's other group game should be at Wigan, Hull or Huddersfield.

If Wales make it they can not think of taking a game against Australia, England or New Zealand to Bridgend or Newport. Big games should be in Cardiff or Swansea. If they are in a lower group take it to Bridgend or Wrexham.

The Australia Vs New Zealand game should be held in the north (for once), once again Wigan, Hull or Huddersfield, with Headingley or St. Helens also an option.

The Ireland and Scotland games cannot be played in Ireland or Scotland until they at least get respectable crowds (and promotion) for the Euro Cup or World Cup qualifiers. Their games should be held in Widnes, Warrington, Salford and Castleford, along with the island nations.

France should probably be able to host some games, but the RFL could reeive a boost if the entire tournament was successfully held in the UK.

The finals can not be undersold again. Wembley should surely be the location of the Final if the RFL are serious about this tournament. Host the quarter finals at heartland venues like Huddersfield and Hull but the Semi finals should be at large grounds like Elland Road and Manchester, with the larger drawing final going to Manchester. Surely if England reach the final it will pull a respectable crowd at Wembley.

The problem with staging an Australia vs New Zealand game in the north is you won't get a big crowd. There are a lot of ex-pat Aussies and Kiwis living in London and there has been a couple of times in the Tri/4 nations series that Australia and New Zealand have played in London (2004 at Loftus Road and 2009 at Twickenham Stoop) and they have gotten a full house.

Springs

First Grade
Well according to the post above, a higher crowd then we will get in the north, and considering Old Trafford got 44,000 for the terrible 2000 Cup, we should expect about 50,000 right? And Australia Vs New Zealand got 16,000 at Huddersfield at the 1995 Cup.

If it's in London again it should be in a 20K+ stadium, no Stoop.