What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery benefactor to revive grass roots XIII

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
miguel de cervantes said:
Oops, I posted a French message in a French Rugby League Forum. What on earth was I thinking?
Pour tous les francophobes...

To be fair mate, it is a largely English language French RL Forum - and with a majority of Australian posters.

Your average Aussie (or Pom or Kiwi for that matter) can't read the language, but it doesn't necessarily mean they hate all things French.

Do you reckon that if you don't read French, you shouldn't want to know what's going on over there? :?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Mr_Ugly said:
To be fair mate, it is a largely English language French RL Forum - and with a majority of Australian posters.

Your average Aussie (or Pom or Kiwi for that matter) can't read the language, but it doesn't necessarily mean they hate all things French.

Do you reckon that if you don't read French, you shouldn't want to know what's going on over there? :?

Fair enough, I understand what you are saying. But we have to meet halfway. At least Yankeerugger had a crack with a translator - I don't have time to go translating all this stuff all the time.

A lot of news comes out on rugbyxiii forum that never sees the light of day in the English speaking world - I try and redirect people here to the most interesting parts.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Fair enough, I understand what you are saying. But we have to meet halfway. At least Yankeerugger had a crack with a translator - I don't have time to go translating all this stuff all the time.

A lot of news comes out on rugbyxiii forum that never sees the light of day in the English speaking world - I try and redirect people here to the most interesting parts.

There's a thread over at RFX111 now that has newspaper clippings about the Toulouse SL bid, could you or any other French speaking fan with time on their hands give us a quick run down as to what it says?

Thanks.

t-ba

Post Whore
I'll save everyone the time:

Toulouse will get a license, the people of Leigh and two of the three big Calder towns will wail and gnash their teeth whilst calling foul.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
toslddm1230308ee7.jpg

toslddm2230308se9.jpg

toslddm3230308nd8.jpg

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
t-ba said:
I'll save everyone the time:

Toulouse will get a license, the people of Leigh and two of the three big Calder towns will wail and gnash their teeth whilst calling foul.

I'd hate to see any team miss out, I wish they'd just put 16-18 teams in and go from there.

I know the talent isn't around for that many, but gee it would solve some problems.

yankeerugger

Juniors
I know the talent isn't around for that many, but gee it would solve some problems.

While it "would solve some problems" (people being upset, and hurt egos...), it would no doubt "create new problems" due to the lack of depth... (weak sides, lopsided scores... leading to lower gate turn outs, and lack of credibility in the league... leading to decreased quality of product... leading to lower broadcast rights deals in the future...)

would this really be worth it?

ledzep

Bench
ParraEelsNRL said:
i had a good translation of the main article all ready to go, then of course lost it all
will type it out again tomorrow

edit: here is my attempt at the main article

Rugby League. Toulouse Olympic register their bid.

Toulouse stake all on the Super League.

March 31, at exactly 17.00 (English time), the candidates for the next three seasons of the Super League will have registered their completed applications. At Toulouse, where they hold their second chance following the failure of 2004 – “We were the victims of a federal decision in aid of the Catalans,” assesses Carlos Zalduendo, the president of Toulouse Olympic – all has been done in order to pass the test. Seven copies of the 600-page file, translated into English, will now soon leave the Pink City by different postal routes, “because any delay will not be tolerated. You know the English,” Carlos Zalduendo, the man in charge of the Toulousian submission, mischievously lets slip.
The failure of 2004 has been digested and reviewed, so that it could help Toulouse’s cause before it is finalised this time. “We have used the time to better prepare our plans,” continues the CEO of SASP Toulouse Olympic, who put together an entire dossier responding to all the English requirements in order to obtain a franchise in the Super League. Finances, marketing, communication, a rugby academy, formation centre, development in schools, social insertion, without evidently forgetting the politics of top level sports and the infrastructure (the growth of Minimes must see its capacity reach 10,000 places with seats), everything is gone over with a fine-tooth comb in the franchise application and will be analysed to the smallest detail by the leaders of the Super League, for Toulouse as well as for the current teams of the English professional league.
Toulouse could enjoy, but also profit from, its network of partners, those faithful to the Oval Table (500 members) and to the business club (130 members). “We have supplied a large, in depth work, laying the foundations of success. However, it is necessary that people support the plans,” concludes Carlos Zalduendo, having decided with his team to do the lobbying next to the English in order to pull up the precious sesame, at the end of July, the bearer of all the dreams of Toulousian treizistes.

The last paragraph got a bit weird near the end, so I'd appreciate it if someone French could fix it up

Mr_Ugly

Juniors

Fair enough too. I know I was being a bit picky, but was trying to make the point that not understanding the language doesn't necessarily mean we're all a bunch of Francophobes.

ledzep

Bench
ParraEelsNRL said:
Thanks for doing that, much appreciated.
no problem, gives me some french practice
don't mind giving other articles/news a crack either if it's posted in here

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
ledzep said:
no problem, gives me some french practice
don't mind giving other articles/news a crack either if it's posted in here

Good stuff, I come across heaps of articles all the time that I don't bother posting because they are in French, you could be very busy :lol:

yankeerugger

Juniors
yes, thanks for the translation job.

what is the deal with their stadium? Would it not be much easier to work out a ground share agreement with the RU side who have an excellent venue? I had heard that they (RU) in Toulouse are much more accomodating of RL then they are in Perpignan, where they are known to be outwardly hostile, and looking to sabotage at every turn... or so I've been told.

Latest posts