What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAME O/S PLAYER YU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THE AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Before he retired I would have said Andy Flower because I thought he was one of the most talented players going around.

Apart from that have always wanted Chanderpaul to come to Australia and throw the bat around.

Doctor

Bench
Sachin Tendulkar batting at number four for Australia would do wonders for our already talented batting line-up.

Imagine the prospect of Hayden and Langer with a century stand, then Ponting and Hayden with 140 stand, then Tendulkar and Ponting, then Steve Waugh striding to the crease, and finally Damien Martyn on day 3 finally getting a hit with a cameo 50.

Hayden: 120
Langer: 62
Ponting: 110
Tendulkar: 150
Waugh: 130*
Martyn: 55*

Sundries 27

Australia 4/650 declared

Michael Vaughan goes o.k too - he averaged over 60 in Tests in 2002.

I don't think I'd pick any of the world bowlers - perhaps when Glenn McGrath retires we could poach Shane Bond for a couple of seasons.

As for current players: Michael Clarke, Clinton Perren, and Michael Bevan were all in ominous batting form last season.
Michael Kasprowicz is still going strong, for the future Ashley Noffke (qld) and Michael Clark (from WA not NSW) also had good seasons - future prospects.

mj

Juniors
Sachin Tendulkur is the one player I'd love to see in our current Test team.Imagine how good he'd be without the pressure of carrying the Indian batting line-up.Then maybe he could be in the Bradman class as he has mentioned in the past.

knights04

Bench
Muttiah Muralitharan. Murali could replace Warne and anyone else and still pick up wickets still injured.

Doctor

Bench
mj said:
Sachin Tendulkur is the one player I'd love to see in our current Test team.Imagine how good he'd be without the pressure of carrying the Indian batting line-up.Then maybe he could be in the Bradman class as he has mentioned in the past.

Tendulkar is a very gifted and wonderful batsman - I just like watching him bat. I initially was jealous of his abilities, hoping that players like Waugh and Ponting could out-score him, and that McGrath and Warne could claim him cheaply. But now I just sit back and watch the great batsman bat. If Matt Hayden is called 'Matt the Bat', then what do you call Sachin Tendulkar? I'm not even going to try.

Young cricketers in Australia will learn a lot by just watching Tendulkar bat - his timing, his grace, his composure at the crease - he is a very talented batsmen that deserves a lot of credit for his stoicism at the crease.

I want to see him do well, but not too well. :lol:

Muttiah Muralitharan

I know people often try and tear down successful people because of exactly that: their success. But I watch Murali's performances and cannot get past his action. He has an illegal action - I won't back away from that. As a cricket umpire, if he were under a match I was officiating in I would report him for closer inspection of his action. It is the fault of Sri Lankan officials. In their rush to get a deceptive bowler into international cricket they neglected to correct issues in his action.

If Murali isn't a chucker then I'm not here - the fact the ICC has decided to let him go may say something about the politics of world sport. You've got a country like Sri Lanka who rely heavily on the performances of their best deliverer of the cricket ball, but who unfortunately have little else to be excited by at the moment.

In the ICC's bid to get cricket into Asia, they've neglected the traditions of the game - specifically the notion that the game is more important than an individual, a team or even a whole country.

I feel sad for the sport when cricketers like Murali claim world records and will forever be tagged with the unfortunate, but true, tag of 'chucker'. It has ruined a part of the sport, and hopefully will never happen again if the ICC do indeed follow the laws they themselves have commissioned.

Anonymous

Juniors
Jaques Kallis for me. He is one of the rarest phenomenons in world cricket-an all rounder who would make any side in the world as purely a batsman or purely a bowler. He bats at no.3 and averages 40+ and has a bowling avg. in the 20's and can bowl at 140km+! He is the exact type of player the Aussies have been looking for for a looong time.

cheese

Bench
Timbo said:
Jaques Kallis for me. He is one of the rarest phenomenons in world cricket-an all rounder who would make any side in the world as purely a batsman or purely a bowler. He bats at no.3 and averages 40+ and has a bowling avg. in the 20's and can bowl at 140km+! He is the exact type of player the Aussies have been looking for for a looong time.

two words

Andy Bichel

.......i think his batting is severely underated .......if he was given a crack closer to the top of the order, i doubt he would let anyone down

Anonymous

Juniors
cheese said:
Timbo said:

two words

Andy Bichel

.......i think his batting is severely underated .......if he was given a crack closer to the top of the order, i doubt he would let anyone down

No offense, but, have you been psychologically evaluated recently? He's a pretty good bowler but even if he totally ignored bowling and focused non-stop on batting I think at most he'd average in the mid 20's. If that. And I personally think that Kallis is not only a better batsman than him (lol) but probobly a better bowler too!

Doctor

Bench
Regarding Test Cricket - Kallis is by far and away the better in both forms. Initially his bowling was considered part-time - he was a 'handy' option. But perhaps 5 years ago he emerged more as a regular allrounder. Now, as you say, he is both a batsman and a bowler, almost a batting/bowling allrounder if you want to put it into those terms.

Bichel's problem is that his bowling tends to be exceptional in patches, but ordinary in others. He is a talented cricketer, tries his guts out, but compared to other Australian bowlers (and indeed Kallis) his bowling isn't at that standard.

While his batting is handy, averaging in the mid-20s is not in the vicinity of Kallis. Bichel's batting is similar to that of Healy - he can produce a decent innings here and there, and can hang around, but isn't a guy you're going to rely on to score a century, or indeed a 150-200 big-one.

Kallis can do that - he is a very gifted cricketer, a quality batsman, quality bowler - perhaps not exceptional at both, but even for Australia he would have Number 4 spot, and 2nd change in bowling.

Anonymous

Juniors
Original_Chook said:
Regarding Test Cricket - Kallis is by far and away the better in both forms. Initially his bowling was considered part-time - he was a 'handy' option. But perhaps 5 years ago he emerged more as a regular allrounder. Now, as you say, he is both a batsman and a bowler, almost a batting/bowling allrounder if you want to put it into those terms.

Bichel's problem is that his bowling tends to be exceptional in patches, but ordinary in others. He is a talented cricketer, tries his guts out, but compared to other Australian bowlers (and indeed Kallis) his bowling isn't at that standard.

While his batting is handy, averaging in the mid-20s is not in the vicinity of Kallis. Bichel's batting is similar to that of Healy - he can produce a decent innings here and there, and can hang around, but isn't a guy you're going to rely on to score a century, or indeed a 150-200 big-one.

Kallis can do that - he is a very gifted cricketer, a quality batsman, quality bowler - perhaps not exceptional at both, but even for Australia he would have Number 4 spot, and 2nd change in bowling.

I almost agree with everything you say, but, I think anyone who averages 49 with the bat and 29 with the ball over an extended period of time can be considered exceptional.

Doctor

Bench
Point taken - but compared to other batsmen in world cricket he isn't exceptional in the sense that he is a number one batsman - I can see your point, perhaps it is an issue of the usage of the word 'exceptional'.

His bowling is good, but not equal to that of Pollock, McGrath, Bond, Vaas etc - 29 is a decent average of 10 years ago when guys like Hughes and McDermott were crusing around the mid to high 20s averages.

But certainly as a package, is is great - the top allrounder going around based on long-term success and the ability to excel in both facets of his game during the one match.

Latest posts