What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Napa still not ready for origin

isaiah

Bench
Mal chose Maguire before Napa this year and on last night's performance it should be no change in 2016. Putting on some hits doesn't translate so well to origin. korbin sims still next in line for me.

What the hell are you on about? Dylan Napa and Blake Ferguson were the only Roosters players that showed up last night. Energy, desire and desperation in defence is very often what wins Origin games, and Napa has that in abundance. Pretty much every QLD commentator (Ikin, Tallis, Lockyer) has said they thought Napa deserved a run this year.

As for your comment about Korbin Sims, thats laughable. Sims is not fit to lace Napa's boots.

As a NSW supporter though, i very much hope Meninga follows your line of thinking and doesn't pick Napa.

Yep, Napa was a shining light in the roosters team, he had them going forward up the middle and was trying his guts out.

chigurh

Korbin Sims is a run of the mill first grader with a dumbass streak.

Do not understand the hype

perverse

Referee
Korbin Sims is a run of the mill first grader with a dumbass streak.

Do not understand the hype

Not saying he's worth any hype, but you clearly haven't watched him play much, because he doesn't have the dumb in his game that his brothers have. He plays hard, but I wouldn't say dumb. Good player, should have got our player of the year over captain derp.

gUt

Coach
Korbin Sims is another great prospect for Qld. Looking good for us for when Thaiday, Parker, Myles and Scott get put out to pasture with McGuire, Napa, Sims and Papalii ready to step up.

davi

Juniors
While some Rugby league players have been in the headlines for the wrong reasons Dylan Napa has said some nice things about Matt Scott which shows there are footballers out there who still have some class amongst them.

Napa is now definitely in the frame of mind with Scott's season ending injury.

"Sydney Roosters prop Dylan Napa was in awe of Matt Scott the last time he was in his company as a member of an extended Queensland squad in 2015.

“He has been at the top of the game in his position for close to 10 or 11 years. I have so much respect for him, what he has done and how he has represented the Queensland jumper, the Australian jumper and the NRL jumper,’’ Napa said.

“I wish him all the best for his recovery. A lot of people could take some lessons from him on how to be a man and a footballer. Hopefully I can join him one day.”

That day may be fast arriving. A season-ending knee injury to Scott has created a giant-sized hole in the Maroons front-row. It seems ready-made for Napa, who in all likelihood would have made his Queensland debut last year but for some ill-discipline when in camp with the Emerging Maroons. That indiscretion has been long forgotten and Napa has emerged as the most likely to fill Scott’s jersey given his outstanding start to the year for the Sydney Roosters.

“I would never think of it that way,” Napa said. “It’s a season-ending injury in the second week of rugby league, so I feel really sorry for him. He is going to have a long road to recovery but he is a professional.

“I think it is a goal of most players in the NRL to represent their state. First and foremost my job is to perform for the Roosters because with the talent we have in the squad this year, I might not be in the team.

“I feel like I have been ready for it for a few years now. It’s every kid’s dream to represent their state

While Napa is considered the early frontrunner to replace Scott, there are others to consider, including Gold Coast’s Jarrod Wallace. Whoever comes into the team has big shoes to fill, as do North Queensland as they contemplate the season without their co-captain. In the short term, Cowboys coach Paul Green must also find a way to replace injured pair Antonio Winterstein (broken arm) and Lachlan Coote (torn calf).”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t/news-story/ba7414e58e4fa3b8d7b911a0b225fb43

Napa is an example of a player with great potential who is stuck in fourth gear in a seven gear box. He can play brilliantly but seldom does. He plays competently but well within his ability. If he wants to make his mark at Origin Level he really needs to step up his game a couple of notches. Most certainly a level that he is capable of. A couple of levels above where he consistently now plays at.

isaiah

Bench
Mal chose Maguire before Napa this year and on last night's performance it should be no change in 2016. Putting on some hits doesn't translate so well to origin. korbin sims still next in line for me.
18 months on and i believe napa is now ready.

davi

Juniors
Matt Scott's out of for the season and now this I think Queensland is in a spot of bother.

"DYLAN Napa’s State of Origin hopes have taken a dive after the Queensland hopeful suffered a potentially serious ankle syndesmosis injury.

Napa was forced off in the 18th minute of the Roosters’ 18-12 loss to Manly at Allianz Stadium on Friday night and did not return.

Adding insult to injury, he had to walk himself off the field after officials were unable to get the medicab through a gate and onto the pitch.

Napa left the dressing rooms in a moon boot and will go for scans. Early indications are he will miss 4-6 weeks, leaving almost no time to push for a maiden Maroons jersey, with the series beginning on May 31.

“I’m not sure how bad,” Roosters coach Trent Robinson said.

“It’s not the end of the world but it’s not good either.”

Meanwhile, Napa’s absence at the Roosters could be countered by Kane Evans’ likely return from a calf injury."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...5/news-story/3d5826e68f089b3868090b8c949a5ffe