What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Napas tackle

snout

First Grade
No penalty....?

Plays this week while sims has surgery for a broken jaw from a headbutt.

Malcolm reilly said lol.

Memo from the defensive coach when playing the storm. Lead with the head first tackle on Smith.
Play on.
Game over.

I don't think you can conclusively say he was leading with the head. In my opinion, he was set with the left shoulder for a shot and sims stepped right at the time Napa was timing his shot.

Its leagues different to Myles style imo.

Accidents happen. Contact sport. f**k the broncos.

snout

First Grade
No sympathy for the broncs but crazy ruling to call that a 'tackle'.

Negligent?

Be howling if it happened to Barba a week before the GF this year.

Last edited:

Inferno

Coach
It's careless or reckless contact with the head. Should have been cited for something I reckon.

Napa getting off scott free may not be in the interest of the game or fans
Scott getting 2 weeks for what can only be described as intentional- two good punches, with one putting Walker out for up to 6 weeks, cannot be seen as fair punishment

myrrh ken

First Grade
Punishment for foul play should be you are suspended for as long as the victim is injured.

Jordan McLean would be screwed.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Just bring back Jim Comans.

The problem to me with the Napa incident is the precedent. I think they handled it well to be honest. However, the next time it’s going to be easier for the offender to claim accident as well.

Napa’s was a close call. Accidental but clearly open to subjectivity. That’s the whole problem with the governance of the game now IMO. The rules are so subjective.

PHaTMaN

Juniors
Agree Frenzy, they have to make things more black and white and rule with consistency. Greenburg is out of his depth and the game is losing it's way.

Based on the way things are today, Napa shouldn't have even been penalised. I reckon they should change the rule to make the defender have a greater duty of care such that they are not to hit the attacking players head. But the way it is now, unless that was deemed intentional (in which case it should have been a send off) then it should have been play on.

Card Shark

Immortal
The rules for suspension state careless, reckless or intentional.

Not really sure of the difference of the first 2 but it was careless & reckless.

I still think it was an accident though... I don’t think he intentionally led with the head.

Hard 1...

Inferno

Coach
Just bring back Jim Comans.

The problem to me with the Napa incident is the precedent. I think they handled it well to be honest. However, the next time it’s going to be easier for the offender to claim accident as well.

Napa’s was a close call. Accidental but clearly open to subjectivity. That’s the whole problem with the governance of the game now IMO. The rules are so subjective.

If memory serves incidents where they do not charge cannot create a precedent. Only instances where they charged and the person was acquitted can be used as precedent.