What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBA All-star game voting

Ridders

Coach
Link

McGrady on pace to start in NBA All-Star game

8 hours, 20 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—Kobe Bryant(notes) is the leading vote-getter for the NBA All-Star game and Tracy McGrady(notes) is on track to start beside him in the Western Conference backcourt despite not playing yet this season.
Bryant had more than 692,000 votes in the first set of returns announced Thursday, about 20,000 more than East leader Dwyane Wade(notes). Also on track to start for the West are NBA leading scorer Carmelo Anthony(notes) and Dirk Nowitzki(notes) at forwards, and Amare Stoudemire at center.

McGrady is nearing a return from microfracture knee surgery, but leads Steve Nash(notes) by more than 9,000 votes for the West’s second guard spot. McGrady likely is benefiting from his popularity in China as Yao Ming’s(notes) longtime teammate in Houston.
LeBron James(notes) and Kevin Garnett(notes) lead at the East forward position, Dwight Howard(notes) has a huge advantage over Shaquille O’Neal(notes), and his Orlando teammate Vince Carter(notes) is second among guards.
The All-Star game is Feb. 14 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Starters will be announced Jan. 21 and reserves will be chosen a week later.

Mr Saab

Referee
What a joke that t mac could be an all star. The guy is a hack and never achieved squat in this league.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Almost like how Yi Jianlian was nearly voted a starter last year....

My starters:

East
LeBron James, Josh Smith, Dwight Howard, Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson

West
Carmelo Anthony, Tim Duncan, Andrew Bynum, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant

Goldthorpe

Bench
My starters:

West
Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol

East
Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, Danny Granger, Josh Smith, Dwight Howard

Ridders

Coach
West Starters

Deron Williams, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan

East Starters

Rajon Rondo, Dwyane Wade, Lebron James, Josh Smith, Dwight Howard

Ridders

Coach
I'm pretty sure that the same thing happpened last year, where T-mac was leading the votes for the 2nd guard spot on the West's starting line up, until Cp3 magically picked up 300 000 votes on the last couple of days of voting.

Moral of the story. Don't let people living in China vote on the All-Star rosters.

Ridders

Coach
Link

Curious picks, and a call to alter All-Star voting

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer 2 hours, 46 minutes ago

Unwanted by their teams, Allen Iverson(notes) and Tracy McGrady(notes) are still adored by their fans.
The Memphis Grizzlies quickly parted ways with Iverson. The Houston Rockets are trying to trade McGrady.
Maybe the players can swap stories of their rocky roads while covering each other at the All-Star game.
Despite having little to no impact this season, both went into the final hours of voting in position to start, thanks to loyal fans who still consider them stars even though their stats say otherwise.
Type=count&ClientType=2&ASeg=&AMod=&AdID=378241&FlightID=276095&TargetID=83584&SiteID=57348&EntityDefResetFlag=0&Segments=2168,2743,13094,13096,13097,13099,13111,13304,13309,17251,18903,18906,18909,19568,20031,20226,20340,23722,25504,25507,25511,25517,25531,25537,25540,25549,25899,26399,32735,34166,34282&Targets=1515,50231,64320,62390,84411,83644,83645,84031,84032,84033,59858,64412,83938,83941,79384,83754,84494,83373,83584,83927,83918&Values=31,60,80,101,150,682,683,685,687,707,1292,1575,1598,1599,1600,1601,1815,4445,47456,52263,52896,56058,56872,57005,57348,57464,57583,58702,59987&RawValues=NGUSERID%2Ca3d0063-16065-1263675386-1%2CTIELID%2C1263762399813619&random=cbzRtxn,bfvgRWdlfjkNR

And with fans showing signs of getting it so wrong, Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen(notes) thinks it?s time to limit their influence. The nine-time All-Star said the fan voting has made the game ?watered down? and calls for a change in the process.
?I like the fact that the fans get the opportunity to vote and pick who they?d like to see in the All-Star game, but I don?t think it should be 100 percent,? Allen said this week.
Allen said fans should have 50 percent of the vote, with the other 50 percent being divided evenly between the media and the players. He said players know who is playing the best, and believes with his idea, ?you?d look at five guys starting the All-Star team regardless of hype or highlight.?
The NBA likes things the way they are.
?We look at it as a great way to engage the fans,? NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre said. ?We think it?s a good system.?
The NBA went to fan voting for the starters in the mid-70s and this season made it even more available to its fans by allowing them to vote by text messaging. Paper balloting has already closed, but votes can be cast until 11:59 p.m. Monday night on nba.com or by texting a player?s last name to 6-9-6-2-2 (MYNBA). Starters will be announced Thursday night.

McGrady has a good chance of being passed, as his lead over Steve Nash(notes) for the second guard spot in the Western Conference was only 2,375 votes when the most recent update was released on Jan. 7. He hasn?t been able to strengthen his case since then, since he?d already been granted a leave from the Rockets while they try to find a trade.
He?s played sparingly in only six games this season since coming back from knee surgery, and Allen thinks commissioner David Stern should consider a rule mandating a player appear in a minimum number of games to be eligible.

?Tracy, if he played, I?m sure he?d play well enough to be an All-Star player because he?s done that his career,? Allen said. ?But again, that?s taking away from another player in the Western Conference that?s having a great year, that?s been playing, that deserves to be in there.?
Iverson had a better shot of holding on to his No. 2 spot in the East, leading Vince Carter(notes) by more than 185,000 votes. He?s listed with West players on the paper ballot after starting the season in Memphis, but his votes count in the East since he signed with the Philadelphia 76ers.
He hasn?t played at an All-Star level this season, but fans may be looking at what he?s done in the past.
?A lot of times voting reflects career achievement as well as yearly achievements,? McIntyre said.
Allen also mentioned getting the coaches, who pick the reserves, involved in selecting the starters. Even that may not guarantee the most deserving 10 players, since coaches could have their own opinions about who belongs in the All-Star game.

During Shaquille O?Neal?s(notes) unproductive, injury-plagued final season in Miami in 2008, former Knicks coach Isiah Thomas said he planned to vote him as a reserve anyway, recalling when he played that respected older players such as Julius Erving still made All-Star teams late in their careers.
That?s why Charlotte coach Larry Brown supports Iverson?s election.
?I?ve seen Willie Mays and those older guys start based on what they?ve done in their career in baseball and we?ve had that happen in basketball for years, guys that have made a contribution,? Brown said. ?That?s why the fans are involved and I think it?s kind of neat that they are involved. They support the league, they vote for their favorite players. I always look at a guy?s body of work.?
That?s fine for some, but it means worthy players are going to be left out. Unlike baseball, which mandates every team be represented in its All-Star game, the NBA has only 12 spots per conference to fill.
?You figure if there?s 24 players that get named to the All-Star team, there?s always 30 that deserve it, and you figure that?s six that should be on the All-Star team,? Allen said.

Toronto forward Chris Bosh(notes) had little chance of starting the game in his hometown of Dallas, sitting well behind LeBron James(notes) and Kevin Garnett(notes) despite a terrific first half. Yet he doesn?t want to change the voting format.
?It?s all about the fans,? he said. ?It?s all about who they want to see because they generate the dollars, they?re going to watch the game, so they?re going to vote for their favorite players and that?s probably how it should be.?

Choppies

Coach
All Star game voting is a joke. I mean if Yao was on the ballot he would be a starter. I think they should take away online voting and leave it for the people who attend NBA games during the voting period.

El Coconuto

Bench
East: Rajon Rondo, Joe Johnson, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard.

West: Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire.

El Coconuto

Bench
Also, the two most entertaining teams to watch this year have been the Thunder and the Hawks. Hands down.

willvillain

Juniors
I'd throw a vote toward the Trail Blazers as one of the most entertaining teams to watch, even if it is only because they're finding ways to win with 85% of their roster in the injured list.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Also, the two most entertaining teams to watch this year have been the Thunder and the Hawks. Hands down.
When our offence consists of more than just JJ and / or Crawford launching 20 foot jumpers, we're pretty good to watch. All of our starters are pretty good at creating not just for themselves, but for others, and despite being without a dominant (or even true) point, we're 9th in assists per game and 7th in Assist Ratio (percentage of a team's possessions that ends in an assist). Ball movement = fun to watch basketball. Isolations and contested fadeaway 20 footers = boring and repetitive.

Ridders

Coach
Ball movement is one of the reasons I loved Orlando last year. So fun to watch with Hedo playing the point forward role (and primary play-maker) which allowed Jameer to play his natural role of a point guard who attacks and penetrates first, and distributes second. There was not one guy on that team who took a ton of shots, it was pretty well spread.

Problem that VC has brought coming in is that he has, for alot of his career, been an iso guy who needs to get a ton of shots to be effective. As a result, Carter has taken Nelson out of his preferred role, as he now has to be more of a play-maker rather than an PG who looks to penetrate and attack. Dwight's also struggled to get good shots, which also can be attributed to the lack of ball movement and play-making on the team. Part of that is also due to the fact that Dwight hasn't progressed much on the offensive end from last season.

I guess time will tell on whether the VC for Hedo swap worked but imo it's made Orlando alot less fun to watch.

willvillain

Juniors
I guess time will tell on whether the VC for Hedo swap worked but imo it's made Orlando alot less fun to watch.

Couldn't agree more. It's made the magic a really easy team to defend too, which is really frustrating.

Last year the Magic chucked up a lot of threes, but it worked a lot better because - as you say - the ball was spread around and the quick passing game opens up the floor and creates open looks.

Now our attack looks really slow, the ball finds VC and he just jacks up a bullsh*t 3 which rims out. Very frustrating.

As you say, it's made us a lot less fun to watch. Very sad.

I wasn't sold on VC when he signed, and he has done everything within his power to make me like him less and less as this season has developed. Honestly sometimes I think I'd rather we still had Courtney Lee and loads of extra cap space! Though Ryan Anderson has certainly been a pleasant surprise.

Ridders

Coach
Link

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Defending champion Nate Robinson will return to the slam dunk contest, trying to become the first three-time winner.

The Knicks guard will be joined by Charlotte's Gerald Wallace and Lakers guard Shannon Brown. The fourth contestant will be determined by a dunk-off during halftime of the rookie game between the Clippers' Eric Gordon and Toronto rookie DeMar DeRozan.
It was a somewhat disappointing field announced Monday, since it didn't include LeBron James, who said during last year's event he was considering taking part Feb. 13 in Dallas.
The 5-foot-9 Robinson won his first title in 2006 and claimed it again last year, leaping over Dwight Howard for one dunk en route to beating the 2008 champion.

What happened to Lebron? I thought he said he'd be in this year's dunk content. What a let-down. Hard to get excited about seeing Nate dunk AGAIN.

Ridders

Coach
Shaq comes up with a great idea

Updated: January 19, 2010, 11:56 PM ET
Shaq floats idea to fix dunk contest

Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- Shaquille O'Neal has a plan to save the NBA's All-Star dunk contest: Bring back the superstars and do it for devastated Haiti.

614.jpg

O'Neal

Following Tuesday night's win over Toronto, O'Neal was asked if he would like to see teammate LeBron James participate in this year's event. That's when he offered his idea. He would like to see former dunk champion Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant and others take part along with James.
"As his manager, I will only allow 'Bron to do the dunk contest if Vince Carter comes back out," O'Neal said. "If Kobe comes back out and if another big name comes back out. If we could get a big prize and have half of the money go to the people of Haiti and the other half to the winner.
"The guys that are in it, no disrespect to them, but there won't really be any competition for LeBron. I want to see Kobe. I want to see Vince and I will allow my client to enter."
Could he make it happen?
"I'm saying it now," O'Neal said. "So tweet it. Facebook it. E-mail it and hopefully it gets out. Vince, we're calling you out. Kobe, we're calling you out. We're calling everybody out. If those guys step up in the dunk contest, then I will allow my client to step up."
James has decided to skip next month's event in Dallas after originally saying he would participate.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press