What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBA Season 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Artest is right - that team without LeBron probably isn't talented enough to make the playoffs. So what does that say about LeBron though? Is Artest acknowledging James is the best player in the game?

Going further, replace LeBron with any other small forward and what would happen? Replace him with any old starter - say Shane Battier or Marvin Williams, guys that are middle of the road, stock standard average - and that team is a lottery team. Wouldn't win more than 30 games. Replace him with a star - say Carmelo Anthony - and that team still would struggle to make the playoffs, at best somewhere between 40 & 50 wins (like every Melo season before Billups). Cavs are on track to win 62 games, 10 more than Melo's Nuggets (& Melo has the superior supporting cast).

Is there another player you could say that about in the NBA? Kobe / D-Wade cancel eachother out. Switch those two around and Lakers are still contending and Miami are struggling, playing .500 ball. Same with Garnett / Duncan, Chris Paul / D-Will or Nash. The only player to come close would be Howard, but you could throw Duncan down there and that Orlando team would be just as good.

I can't think of any other player with that sort of impact on his team????

Ridders

Coach
kobe's specialty is those fadeaway, hope for the best shots where lebron not only shoots the shiit, but also drives hard to the basket, defends well and shows passion for his team.

You do bring up a good point there. Kobe just can't get to the rim anymore against good defenses, which is why I think the Kobe vs Lebron argument is a bit unfair at this point. Kobe's just in a different phase of his career, while Lebron is approaching his peak. Even at their both their heights Lebron is probably still better but the gap between the two wouldn't be as big as it is now.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
You do bring up a good point there. Kobe just can't get to the rim anymore against good defenses, which is why I think the Kobe vs Lebron argument is a bit unfair at this point. Kobe's just in a different phase of his career, while Lebron is approaching his peak. Even at their both their heights Lebron is probably still better but the gap between the two wouldn't be as big as it is now.
It's not just good defences though - he's setting a new career low in free throw rate and he's struggling in the the other "athleticism" type stats - rebounds (4th worst rate of his career) & blocks (worst rate of his career). Only in steals is he performing well, on track for his 4th best rate of his career.

Not surprising though - 31 years old, played over 1,100 games, plus played for Team USA, averaged 36 minutes a game over his career, no wonder he's starting to slow down. That he's still having a year most other players dream about is testament to his talent & hard-work.

Ridders

Coach
I've wondered what type of player Lebron could become once he's into his 30s and loses his hops. If he could slowly work on a post-game the guy could be a killer PF later on.

The Dodger

First Grade
he can post up ridders.

i can't remember the game but there were a few where they concentrated on him posting up.

he did quite well from what i remember.

Ridders

Coach
Yeah there have been games were Cleveland have tried to set him up in the post. He obviously has the strength to back his man down. It's more the footwork I'm referring to. Sometimes he looks lost as he doesn't seem to know how to set his feet properly. It's another reason I love Kobe. His footwork in the post is impeccable.

I think the fact that Lebron has made a conscious decision to try and work in the post this year (something he never even bothered with in previous seasons) is a good sign that he'll eventually figure it out.

Last edited:

Ridders

Coach
Big Baby doesn't want to be known as Big Baby anymore. Wants to be known as "Uno Uno"

Link

He can call himself Keyser Soze for all I care, he's always going to be Big Baby to me.

andrew057

First Grade
Maybe if he didn't cry when a team mate yells at him he could drop the nickname, until then....

youtube-glen-davis-cries-after-garnett-yells-at-him.jpg

Ridders

Coach
Lol I remember that. KG making a grown man cry during an NBA game was probably one of the most impressive things he's done as a Celtic.

The Dodger

First Grade
lol

out of all games to play today, they show the lakers vs pacers game.

ATL vs the spurs would have been more appealing.
even cavs vs the timberwolves would have been better.

on another issue, why the hell isn't lebron participating in the slam dunk comp this year?

he said he would.
or will he be a last minute entry?

will be a bit upset if he doesn't do it.

Ridders

Coach
Bynum's on fire atm.

Lebron probably feels the Dunk Contest is below him atm. Only way I think he'd ever participate is if other superstars competed in it as well.

ByRd

First Grade
Bynum was a beast today, hopefully we see his game continue to improve, good win for the Lakers today

Ridders

Coach
Really liked the way Kobe played. Allowed the offense to flow and didn't look to run iso plays too often. Wish he'd play like it more often.

ByRd

First Grade
Really liked the way Kobe played. Allowed the offense to flow and didn't look to run iso plays too often. Wish he'd play like it more often.
Yeh it looks like he is starting to get out of his slump and he has been attacking the rim and grabbing some rebounds and putting pressure on the defence.

His shot looks better and he shot 10/15 today, hopefully he keeps it up.

El Coconuto

Bench
For the life of me, I don't understand why the Pacers don't run at least 80-85% of their offense through Granger. The guy is a mismatch for most of his opponents, particularly if they are playing him at the 4. Indy are trying to use him the way Orlando use Rashard Lewis, only it doesn't work at all because they don't have someone like Howard in the middle drawing defenders in. I nearly threw up watching the amount of times Granger burst down the wings only to have Brandon Rush throw up some brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.