What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBN Issue

Pommy

Coach
what is a fibre area ?

I might have the term wrong. I may actually misunderstand the entire thing.

What happened in the UK was they upgraded the cables with new fibre optics to increase speeds but the cable from your home to the box on the street was still copper. Which created a bottleneck and meant the vast majority could never achieve the speeds being advertised.

My question is if there's a new house built in an NBN area is it fibre to the door or still copper?

So one month since the last update and I still don't have NBN. After the debacle where they cut off my connection, I was contacted by a young lady from the "NBN Managed disconnections" department at Telstra. You know if they have a whole department to deal with shit like this then they must have f**ked over plenty of people.

Basically the only option I could take was to buy a 4g dongle and they would then refund me the cost (up to $90).

So now my home internet connection consists of a 4g wifi dongle that can handle 4 devices at once. Every time I get low on data, I have to send an email to telstra and they give me some more. Like 5gb at a time.

The only real bonus is that I'm not paying for the data but they're not exactly giving me an unlimited supply either.

My managed disconnections manager can't tell me how long it will take for the NBN co to come and sort me out as they can't really tell her.

Basically I'm f**ked and I have no real idea of when I will be unf**ked.

I must say that it seems that Telstra have been pretty reasonable though and the villain in this seems to be the NBN co.

Regardless, the saga continues...

Pommy

Coach
So one month since the last update and I still don't have NBN. After the debacle where they cut off my connection, I was contacted by a young lady from the "NBN Managed disconnections" department at Telstra. You know if they have a whole department to deal with shit like this then they must have f**ked over plenty of people.

Basically the only option I could take was to buy a 4g dongle and they would then refund me the cost (up to $90).

So now my home internet connection consists of a 4g wifi dongle that can handle 4 devices at once. Every time I get low on data, I have to send an email to telstra and they give me some more. Like 5gb at a time.

The only real bonus is that I'm not paying for the data but they're not exactly giving me an unlimited supply either.

My managed disconnections manager can't tell me how long it will take for the NBN co to come and sort me out as they can't really tell her.

Basically I'm f**ked and I have no real idea of when I will be unf**ked.

I must say that it seems that Telstra have been pretty reasonable though and the villain in this seems to be the NBN co.

Regardless, the saga continues...

Thats crap, if your a netflix user i imagine you would eat through that pretty fast.

Danish

Referee
The speed drop off from FTTH compared to FTTC or FTTN on the NB really confuses me.

Like I understand that you aren't going to be pushing 1Gb over copper, and symmetrical speeds won't happen.... but the actual speeds achieved just suck!

I have cable here in New York, and despite running over "old" tech, my connection is 250+Mb x 23Mb all day. I'll occasionally even see a spike up to 320Mb on the download channel.

Why can't Oz adopt this type of tech for the NBN? Would certainly be better than the tech they are currently rolling out.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The speed drop off from FTTH compared to FTTC or FTTN on the NB really confuses me.

Like I understand that you aren't going to be pushing 1Gb over copper, and symmetrical speeds won't happen.... but the actual speeds achieved just suck!

I have cable here in New York, and despite running over "old" tech, my connection is 250+Mb x 23Mb all day. I'll occasionally even see a spike up to 320Mb on the download channel.

Why can't Oz adopt this type of tech for the NBN? Would certainly be better than the tech they are currently rolling out.

Problem is it's not just that it's copper but that it's still using old school phone lines for that last run. If you're one of the ones who's getting their connection via the old Foxtel coax cable you're far better off and get comparable speeds to FTTH.

Generalzod

Immortal
Where getting FTTC planned for April Jun 2018 ccurrently the NBN workers are prepping it all up...

Latest posts