What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Dragons history site launched at last !

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Really? That was quick. I didn't ask for it. What's their URL, Gav? I'd like to do a reciprocal link...
emthup.gif
for that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks Gav... lol...I see now. It certainly isa good format. Thanks again.

Noice work Willow, O'ive enjoyed it like a five o'clock grog.
I love the Roy F mention, wish I had my old scanlens card.
I've got a picture of fearless Frank, poor quality newspaperbut I'll see if I can scan it good for you and send it up - it would go well on the mantlepiece about 1978. He looks quite noble.

Willow, the site is absolutely fantastic, I've just started reading through it and I'm finding it both informative and entertaining.
Did you e-mail the Saint's official site so that they can put a link to your site in their links section?

I've also found 2 small errors for starters, only typo's:

In your 1944 section you've written: 1944 was the final year as a player for the Len Kelly who played 160 games for St George.
Should it be "the GREAT Len Kelly"?, you might as well give him a wrap. I only picked up on that one because he is my fathers Uncle, I've got to look out for family.

And also in 1944, just after Norm Tippings name you left out a space between St and George.
I'm nitpicking I know, but that's what you asked for I guess.

You also must be commended for the fact the only errors picked up are typo's, your information is spot on

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks youngie... you've just been elevated to the acknowledgements section.
I'll have a closer look atLen Kelly and see about filling your request.
emsmile.gif

As for the St George interpretation... I have discovered a number of ways of correctly typing this:
Saint George
St.George
St. George
St George
StGeorge

Just about every version gets a run.
emwink.gif

Having said that, I'm about to have a look at the bit you mentioned.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Youngie:

"1944 was the final year as a player for inspirational forward, Len Kelly who played 160 games for Saints.
For a forward, Len was a prolific try scorer. He touched down 59 times."

Hope this gets the thumbs up from the family...
emsmile.gif

I found a couple more nit picking corrections willow.
In the "different game" section of 1967-1969. It says:

Fans of limited tackles point the new game being faster and often swinging from one end of the field to the other. The field goal, was reduced to being worth just one point and it became an important deadlock breaker.

There should be a TO between point and the, and I don't think there is need for a comma after field goal?

I hope small corrections such as this were what you were after....I'm splitting hairs.

And in the same section as the last corrections:

Firstly, core players in the team were one year older and some were having trouble backing from representative duties.

should be backing UP from Rep duties.

and

In particular, Saints had lost key forwards and left it too late to put in place replacements to these losses.

should be FOR these losses, not to these losses.

Benny Barret

No need to tell me mate, I get to most of the games each year. What I was getting at was that I am an ex Steelers man, and so now we are all one happy club I should know more about the history of the other mob, which before 99 I could have given two hoots about !

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thats the intention Noodles.
I was hoping that time would help to enforce an attitude that the valuable St George history would be appreciated and should continue.
I'm currently doing a complete catalog of all the players....its mind boggling howmany players have worn a Dragons jumper... this is gunna take some time....lol

B

Bomber

Excellent site Willow. A credit to the club and its traditions.

Most of the errors I found were mainly grammatical.

When you have headings in lower and upper-case only capitalise places or people e.g. Latetry saves St George, not Late Try Saves St George.

All placings e.g. 2nd, 3rd should be second, third, etc

Runners-up, not Runners Up

Numbers less than 10 should be words, e.g. one, two

If you capitialise all major heading you shouldn't have any problems with grammar

'&' should be 'and' in all text

Perhaps I'm picky but you should be consistent on 'Grand Final' - not GF, G-Final etc, choose one and stick with it! You may be restricted for space however

'Head Butter Tallis' should become 'Head-butter Tallis'. Some other 'mistakes' are below. All in all though mate, a great website. Congratulations

The Dash For the Door and Relentless Persistance
The Dash for the Door and Relentless Persistance

In 1908, St George almost joined Rugby League.
In 1908, St George almost joined the New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL)

Saints First Win!
Saints' First Win! or First Win for Saints!

Saints Best year yet
Saints best year yet or Best year yet for Saints

Police intervene as Earl Park Erupts!
Police intervene as Earl Park erupts!

St George win final but minor premiers get 2nd chance!
St George win final but minor premiers get second chance!

Saints Runners Up and back in the hunt!
Saints runners-up and back in the hunt!

St George re-build and succeed!
St George rebuild and succeed!

Late Goal Saves Canterbury-Bankstown
Late goal saves Canterbury-Bankstown

St George suffer worse defeat
St George suffer worst defeat

St Georgeclaim 2nd premiership
St George claim second premiership

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bomber:
What can I say mate...? You're a saviour! I couldn't even get my girlfriend to proof read like that for me...
emteeth.gif

You're right about it being space saving.Thetext is all enclosed in tables and sometimes a single letter or word would unbalance a whole section, hence the abbreviations. Still, that, along with the other things you pointed out could have been fixed if the 'midnight oil' had held out.
I'll get around to rectifying all of that in time. Thanks for going to so much trouble.

While I here, I need an ID on a player... can't put a face to a name myself...
fetch.dll

He is in the 1999 photo with the entire squad. Anyone recognise him?

Thanks.

imported_T.B

Juniors
Pretty sure it's Stapleton,

Is your site still up Willow? Want to read this history but have been having mega-trouble accessing it today

Probably just my sh*tbox PC

TB