What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Halves Combination Shines

TheRev

First Grade
There is an optimistic feeling of having Widdop and Williams pulling the strings.
Were in with a shot for sure... but just to be the voice of a pessimist for a moment, and risk a flaming, but just to keep our feet on the floor:

Were excited because we actually have 2 half decent halves (widdop especially)... and im excited too, but you are supposed to have 2 halves! I hope they exceed expectations, but were up against plenty of other clubs who have proven halves &/or young raw talent like Brooks, Milford, Johnson, JT, Reynolds, Maloney, DCE, Foran, Carney, Cronk and so on and so on.. just remember that these are the types of halves we need to actually match if not better during the year.

If were still not executing our attack well after 2 months say, thats when someone like Kyle could come into the equation, if indeed we still need some 'x factor', and if he deserves it.. if hes our bench utility that means hes playing hooker and not getting any practice as a 5/8.

st.phil

Bench
Although tempting to play him as utility, I think Kyle should just do at least a month in one position for the cutters (5/8th most likely)

A year ago after watching Williams in 2012 raiders side - he was on my most wanted list. A real halfback with all the attributes. I think people are underestimating him...which is understandable given last year was poor.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Although tempting to play him as utility, I think Kyle should just do at least a month in one position for the cutters (5/8th most likely)

A year ago after watching Williams in 2012 raiders side - he was on my most wanted list. A real halfback with all the attributes. I think people are underestimating him...which is understandable given last year was poor.

I don't agree re Williams. He was not poor last year. He was unfortunately the junior half and was ultimately the fall guy for campeses return. Williams performed well in nsw cup and was excellent the year before and the main reason they went so far in 2012. The raiders were blessed with plenty of quality in the halves and I for one am stoked we picked up Williams. He has all the skills and experience and will be great at organising the attack to leave widdop to play his natural game. It is unfortunate for style that injuries have limited his opportunities but thems the breaks.

BennyV

Referee
Were in with a shot for sure... but just to be the voice of a pessimist for a moment, and risk a flaming, but just to keep our feet on the floor:

Were excited because we actually have 2 half decent halves (widdop especially)... and im excited too, but you are supposed to have 2 halves! I hope they exceed expectations, but were up against plenty of other clubs who have proven halves &/or young raw talent like Brooks, Milford, Johnson, JT, Reynolds, Maloney, DCE, Foran, Carney, Cronk and so on and so on.. just remember that these are the types of halves we need to actually match if not better during the year.

Keep in mind that each team has 2 halves...Cronk will be partnered by a rookie, Johnson will likely be inside a makeshift fullback or a rookie, Maloney has Pearce, Carney has Robson, who knows who JT will partner, and so on...then there's other competition like Hodkinson/Reynolds, Reynolds/Keary, Wallace/Soward, Roberts/Mullen etc, who can all be good on their day but are hardly superstar pairings...

We all know Widdop is class, and if Williams lives up to what he showed he can do in 2012, then we have plenty to get excited about. Outside of DCE/Foran, we could potentially be looking at one of the better halves pairings in the comp...

Godz Illa

Coach
Yep, a few of us have argued this.

He played dummy half (off the bench) in the trial friday. Granted it was his first hitout of any kind in 18 months so he may well have been treated with the "softly, softly" approach by the coaches, and full judgement should be reserved for a while etc etc ... but gee it was uninspiring. Simply scooped up the ball and passed (not terribly quickly either). Was a passenger in that role.

BrissyRedV

Bench

He played dummy half (off the bench) in the trial friday. Granted it was his first hitout of any kind in 18 months so he may well have been treated with the "softly, softly" approach by the coaches, and full judgement should be reserved for a while etc etc ... but gee it was uninspiring. Simply scooped up the ball and passed (not terribly quickly either). Was a passenger in that role.

His strength is his running game and playing dummy half will not allow him to do that. He should be played at 5/8 for the cutters so he can a. Get used to playing in the halves, b. Get some game time in his legs, he hasn't played a full 80 in nearly 2 years, c. Get his own confidence back in his knees and test himself. I am sure he would be a bit ginger going into take a hit up.

I am still not adverse for him to potentially be as a 13 ala Stewart / young. He is solid in defence and has ball playing skills and I think it would utilise his strengths better than playing off the bench as a dummy half

pinkmoon

Juniors
I agree with the notion of using Kyle at 5/8 for the Cutters. I really feel for the guy because he has had terrible luck, but at the same time we owe him nothing, especially not a position in first grade. We have supported him through his injuries and payed him a salary which I think is noble of the club, but to try and manufacture a position in the first grade team is spreading the love a little too far in my opinion.

He is a 5/8 and due to his unfortunate injuries, a rather slow one at that. Garvey and at a stretch even Quinlan would be more dynamic options off the bench at this stage. If Williams is the first choice half to partner Widdop than Kyle has to miss out and bide his time in the lower grades until/if an opportunity arrises (which in the modern physical game is highly likely). He will be all the better for the run!

watatank

Coach

Absolutely. Such a waste.

All comes back to the stupid decision to let King go a year early. Kyle has been relegated to hooker/utility type role and we have bought Witt to cover the halves. Because of this, Garvey might not even get a proper shot, even though he has more ability as a 9 than both.

TheRev

First Grade
Price has been determined that Kyle play 1st grade, wherever he fits, but like we said back in 2012, the best chance the kid has is as the Cutters 5/8, prove to us and himself that its his position.

chillwinston

Juniors
Absolutely. Such a waste.

All comes back to the stupid decision to let King go a year early. Kyle has been relegated to hooker/utility type role and we have bought Witt to cover the halves. Because of this, Garvey might not even get a proper shot, even though he has more ability as a 9 than both.

I don't think it was a waste, with the injuries he's had I wouldn't be doing much in my first game in 18 months either. The more game time he gets, the better. Like Kyle said, his first goal was to get through 5 games. Once he's got the confidence in his body It will only benefit the Dragons.

I think King was let go early cause I couldn't remember him stringing more then two games together without being injured(I know, the irony) but IF Kyle was to get another season ending injury(touch wood he doesn't) then he will most likely be released.

watatank

Coach
It wasn't that Kyle didn't do much, it was that he was playing hooker. Considering our depth in that position last year to have him spending time at hooker this year, it's poor. He's not going to do much more than pass from that position. He's way past that stage in that development and if we're going to keep him he may as well go for the halves spot he has been groomed for for years.

King was IMO ultimately let go because the club was confident that Rein/Garvey was sufficient depth but I don't agree with that. It's possible that he was released to free salary cap space, but whether we use that (other than getting Witt) remains to be seen.

TheRev

First Grade
King was IMO ultimately let go because the club was confident that Rein/Garvey was sufficient depth but I don't agree with that. It's possible that he was released to free salary cap space, but whether we use that (other than getting Witt) remains to be seen.
100% Agreed, the Rein recontract in 2013 was a very clear "you're the bloke for the next 2-3yrs", Garvey being the next in line.

But I also get it.. 3 young hookers playing for 1 position (since Price has an aversion to running a 2nd hooker on the bench) & players like Quinlan/Kyle/Witt as backup for injuries..

But if Rein doesnt work out (or gets injured), it will be 2 blokes without much experience that will have to step in, cause none of them could play 80 minutes.

chillwinston

Juniors
It wasn't that Kyle didn't do much, it was that he was playing hooker. Considering our depth in that position last year to have him spending time at hooker this year, it's poor. He's not going to do much more than pass from that position. He's way past that stage in that development and if we're going to keep him he may as well go for the halves spot he has been groomed for for years.

Yeah I'd imagine that Kyle will be playing that type of role until his match fitness/confidence is up to the level where he take on more of a work load and his body can handle it. Last thing you would want to see in a trial is him take off from dummy half, throw in a few steps and his knee buckles again...

I can agree with your opinion on King as well but he was injury prone, plus you could throw Quinlans name into the mix as a hooker/utility seeing as he wont be getting a start over the Duges at fullback

pinkmoon

Juniors
I was never comfortable with the Dragons letting King go, but in hindsight maybe the club saw Garvey as an even better long term option than King, and figured Rein would be a safer back up than King because he is less injury prone? I hope so because I think we need something more dynamic out of dummy half and with a bit of luck Garvey will prove to be!

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Who cares about King!! Seriously he never played and he is now gone! You can't keep paying a guy to sit on the sidelines.

BennyV

Referee
I was never comfortable with the Dragons letting King go, but in hindsight maybe the club saw Garvey as an even better long term option than King, and figured Rein would be a safer back up than King because he is less injury prone? I hope so because I think we need something more dynamic out of dummy half and with a bit of luck Garvey will prove to be!

I said mid last year that by the end of the 2014 season, Craig Garvey will be the number 1 hooker at the club and I stand by that. Hes quick, strong and aggressive, and got a lot of skill. Someone in our coaching staff needs to dedicate a bit of time to helping him develop this year.

watatank

Coach
Yeah I'd imagine that Kyle will be playing that type of role until his match fitness/confidence is up to the level where he take on more of a work load and his body can handle it. Last thing you would want to see in a trial is him take off from dummy half, throw in a few steps and his knee buckles again...

I can agree with your opinion on King as well but he was injury prone, plus you could throw Quinlans name into the mix as a hooker/utility seeing as he wont be getting a start over the Duges at fullback

If that's all it is then fine, but from here it looks like we are working towards something like this, because it's good enough

9. Rein
14. Stanley

with Garvey in NSW Cup where Price will develop him slowly. And that's not a good outcome for the FG team.

As for Quinlan, he is backup fullback, maybe backup half, if he's in the running for that 14 jersey it reinforces my point.

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors
Quinlan would play well at prop if u thru him in there lol he is a real footballer with all the skills and spark. I see him as a half or 5/8 but he could probably play dummy half, it would keep the markers on their toes. I agree and said long ago Kyle needs to spend time in the cutters to earn his spot and get his game together after such a long layoff. When match fit is prob our 1st choice for the utility. It's exciting times for the Dragons

Minh

First Grade
Agree, I think Quinlan has become a bit of a forgotten man. He would make a great utility triangle player.

Latest posts